• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How are you meant to play as Shulk?

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Being a big fan of Shulk I wanted to main him. But currently where I stand he is unusable. It is odd because I am ok with all of the sword fighters so far. I understand the Monado Arts are meant to be used but even with them he barely makes par. To me, he is sluggish and the range of his attacks is very basic.

Am I missing something? Has anyone succeeded with Shulk to the point of becoming a strong fighter? What are the dos and don'ts of Shulk? I appreciate it is Day 1 release worldwide but I am sure some people have been maining him since release :p

I really want Shulk to be a main...right now I have returned to Toon Link.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I don't think there is a correct way to play any character to be honest. I've been doing pretty great with Shulk in For Glory and in some local matches. Short hop Nair into Jab is really good. Buster Monado Art is where all the damage racking comes in. If you can get a grab with it you can up tilt a few times or even do up tilt into up smash. Though I save the smashes for later kills. From what I can tell his Down Smash is a great spacing tool for people who roll like crazy, especially those who roll onto the ledge. Only issue I have is some times I'll do Back Slash when recovering. I made it a few times but other times he'd just plummet to his doom. Pivot Back Slash works wonders though. Air Slash can kill pretty early so I often go for those when I see characters in special fall animation.

Again this is just how I've been playing him day one. I know the really good players will be able to share more information.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
That is odd because you saying his attack range is basic brings me to believe that Marth & Toon Link aren't even worth mentioning about attack range.:ohwell:

MArts gives variety to Shulk game-play. Shulk's hit-boxes operate sort of like Roy from Melee, except with more hit-box properties than Roy's 2; Shulk has at most 4 different hit-box areas that sweet or sour spot. Really it's how you prefer to play him.

Shulk will play as a defensive spacer walling out with aerials & land with jab or grab since Shulk's grab-game is above par.

Jgod

Smash Cadet
im fairly campy, if they dont have projectiles they come to me, primarily because 90% of the time im not in Monado speed and they'll reach me first anyways.

n-air and back-air have awesome range, but b-airs hitbox extends overtime I believe its not immediately long.
n-air is probably the best aerial, f-air is laggier, and b-air has lag as well.

Vision counter is the best counter in the game as far as I can tell. it has tons of range, and due to it being a slide, its the safest to use while recovering. Mind you, by counter I dont mean a flip like Marios cape. You can use the hing as an approach against campy characters...like ****ing Robin.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
n-air and back-air have awesome range, but b-airs hitbox extends overtime I believe its not immediately long.

Vision counter is the best counter in the game as far as I can tell. it has tons of range, and due to it being a slide, its the safest to use while recovering. Mind you, by counter I dont mean a flip like Marios cape. You can use the hing as an approach against campy characters...like ****ing Robin.
I dig that Jgod, & btw Welcome to Smashboards, Happy 1st post.:shades:
Bair's Beam hit-box comes out right as it's start-up ends, but the start-up takes a fair amount of frames before the hit-box is active, so yeah it's not immediate but once Shulk brings the Monado behind him it's out there.

Like Lucario's Reverse Double Team off-stage, Vision's counterattack does have a fairly good slide worthy of horizontal recovery & edge-guard breaking the opponent, but keep in mind that a mis-timed or baited feint-attack causing you to input Vision is risky, especially when Vision airborne without the parried effect makes you drop falling down a ShortHop's distance donward. Everyone be wary of that.
Also Vision's "zone" slows down time thus slowing down the foe who proc'd your counter, making Vision a guaranteed to hit, but only if they're in the zone's range.:)

When Shulk's hit-bubbles are known of, then we can decide for sure if Vision's slide & the forwarded dashed inputs used to approach is ideal.:shades:

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
There are times when endlag causes me to get quick combo'd right into death, but that's just because I'm terrible at timing attacks. I'm learning like anyone else, which arts to pick when, and how to properly press the button the right number of times to get to the right art (good lord this is the hardest part, I swear). Against players it can be pretty stupid hard to land smashes since they're more telegraphed than Ike's most of the time, so it's rare when I find it okay to depend on them. I rely mostly on my nair -> dtilt/jab -> utilt setups for a little aerial game whenever it works, but it really, really hurts to whiff an attack as Shulk if Speed isn't active.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
There are times when endlag causes me to get quick combo'd right into death, but that's just because I'm terrible at timing attacks. I'm learning like anyone else, which arts to pick when, and how to properly press the button the right number of times to get to the right art (good lord this is the hardest part, I swear). Against players it can be pretty stupid hard to land smashes since they're more telegraphed than Ike's most of the time, so it's rare when I find it okay to depend on them. I rely mostly on my nair -> dtilt/jab -> utilt setups for a little aerial game whenever it works, but it really, really hurts to whiff an attack as Shulk if Speed isn't active.
I feel you. For your struggling issue with pressing the # of times to get to the Art you want, I'd go to Training Mode & practice your muscle memory with your thumb / finger & know all the number of inputs from activating, de-activating, cycling through, & letting go of the B button to get it down. You could be a Pokemon Monado master when you know all that there is to MArts. I'm currently studying how MArts alter when they do certain animations when they activate, & inputs that you do that stall the Art from activating right away, such as shielding & rolling.

For Fsmash, don't rely on the Blade thrust Shulk is doing, & practice the range of the Beam that shoots out from the Monado instead. Fsmash is a two-hit Smash but that doesn't mean it needs both hits to connect to be a decent move. I can't give decent advice for utilizing Usmash, but when you see someone falling to the ground regardless they slow fall or fastfall, do a running Usmash. Even if they miss the first hit, the second hit of the Monado Beam shooting out will hit their landing, especially if it's on a platform where Shulk has the sheer advantage with Utilt. Dsmash is about reading rolls, & if they lack the knowledge unknowing of the move having 3 multiple hits then they'll run in to attempt punishing & get hit from the 3rd spinning hit. So yeah good luck hopefully these paragraphs helped some.:urg:

Last edited:

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I feel you. For your struggling issue with pressing the # of times to get to the Art you want, I'd go to Training Mode & practice your muscle memory with your thumb / finger & know all the number of inputs from activating, de-activating, cycling through, & letting go of the B button to get it down. You could be a Pokemon Monado master when you know all that there is to MArts. I'm currently studying how MArts alter when they do certain animations when they activate, & inputs that you do that stall the Art from activating right away, such as shielding & rolling.

For Fsmash, don't rely on the Blade thrust Shulk is doing, & practice the range of the Beam that shoots out from the Monado instead. Fsmash is a two-hit Smash but that doesn't mean it needs both hits to connect to be a decent move. I can't give decent advice for utilizing Usmash, but when you see someone falling to the ground regardless they slow fall or fastfall, do a running Usmash. Even if they miss the first hit, the second hit of the Monado Beam shooting out will hit their landing, especially if it's on a platform where Shulk has the sheer advantage with Utilt. Dsmash is about reading rolls, & if they lack the knowledge unknowing of the move having 3 multiple hits then they'll run in to attempt punishing & get hit from the 3rd spinning hit. So yeah good luck hopefully these paragraphs helped some.:urg:
Dsmash is a glorious counter to rollwhores. I played a Rosalina who rolled everywhere and made Luma do everything. Once Luma died they kept rollin' away, camping everywhere and dodging everything, then I Dsmashed with Smash active and sent her flying on the third swipe. Felt so good.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Dsmash is a glorious counter to roll*****s. I played a Rosalina who rolled everywhere and made Luma do everything. Once Luma died they kept rollin' away, camping everywhere and dodging everything, then I Dsmashed with Smash active and sent her flying on the third swipe. Felt so good.
I can only reply with a emoticon.:shades: Rosaluma was rolling like a garden tool you say? Well done Monado boy! True that Dsmash is such a good smash attack with good coverage & multi-hits including the Blade & Beam hit-boxes that really makes that 3rd spin make them think twice. As a fun fact for the kind of players who roll & shield, sit in that shield for a moment then roll away or behind you (again), have Buster activated ahead of time & do a charged Dsmash.

Why I say that is because of recent findings & resources, Buster apparently increases the Shield damage Shulk deals with his attacks, also putting them in longer shield stun too but don't quote me on that.:p

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I can only reply with a emoticon.:shades: Rosaluma was rolling like a garden tool you say? Well done Monado boy! True that Dsmash is such a good smash attack with good coverage & multi-hits including the Blade & Beam hit-boxes that really makes that 3rd spin make them think twice. As a fun fact for the kind of players who roll & shield, sit in that shield for a moment then roll away or behind you (again), have Buster activated ahead of time & do a charged Dsmash.

Why I say that is because of recent findings & resources, Buster apparently increases the Shield damage Shulk deals with his attacks, also putting them in longer shield stun too but don't quote me on that.:p
Interesting. I've definitely found that taking things a little slower and really paying attention to the opponent has saved me quite a bit. I can hear Dunban's voice ringing in my head "Timing is everything!" whenever I play now. I suppose it's time I actually listen to him.

One thing I've noticed is a severe lack of horizontal recovery capabilities of characters like Shulk, Marth and Lucina. Sheer distance from the stage without hitting a blast zone is enough to take them out (since Dancing Blade doesn't move you in the air at all from what I've experienced, and I don't think Jump will affect horizontal distance covered). When it comes to that I just try my best to at least smack the edgeguarding prick with a Back Slash as I descend into hell, prepping for my comeback.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Interesting. I've definitely found that taking things a little slower and really paying attention to the opponent has saved me quite a bit. I can hear Dunban's voice ringing in my head "Timing is everything!" whenever I play now. I suppose it's time I actually listen to him.

One thing I've noticed is a severe lack of horizontal recovery capabilities of characters like Shulk, Marth and Lucina. Sheer distance from the stage without hitting a blast zone is enough to take them out (since Dancing Blade doesn't move you in the air at all from what I've experienced, and I don't think Jump will affect horizontal distance covered). When it comes to that I just try my best to at least smack the edgeguarding prick with a Back Slash as I descend into hell, prepping for my comeback.
Timing is everything, that & the famous quote "Don't get hit" sunk into my mind.

Oddly for your convenience, Jump favors Shulk because Jump increases the horizontal mobility (Air Speed) at which Shulk moves airborne, so not only does it increase the Jump Height of your ShortHop & FullHop (first jump), DoubleJump, & your two-hitting Air Slash recovery, but also the Air Speed too. Popping Speed affects your Air Speed too along with Shield, but, Shield hinders your overall recovery.

For more horizontal recovery options for Shulk, if we were to include Custom Moves for a moment, Enduring Back Slash & Forward Air Slash definitely help that, especially EBS.
Vision used off-stage with timing (to edge-guard break the opponent who's trying to gimp you or prevent you from recovering) can score you a good horizontal recovery option. I loved doing this for Brawl Lucario by Reverse Double Teaming any projectiles used off-screen to recover, but Shulk can do the same thing with Vision.

Jgod

Smash Cadet
The minute you get launched far get the hell out of shield form. Funny thing is vision triggers off megamans lemons. That 2% lemon just cost one a stock.

Last edited:

MidnightLover

Smash Rookie
I just started playing online and I just realized how good backslash is. At least in my case I tend to use it way to often. I have a hard time finishing my opponents though. I always have the feeling that Shulks smash attacks are very small and on top of that slow compared to other characters and he doesnt seem to have viable quick attacks to get a kill. But I guess that its only my fault because I still have to get used to the awkward 3DS controls. I really cant wait to play that game with a proper GC controller.

Back slash is really gooood. Its range is so huge and I've used it to either KO (With Smash activated) or punish (With Buster activated or Vanilla Shulk).
im fairly campy, if they dont have projectiles they come to me, primarily because 90% of the time im not in Monado speed and they'll reach me first anyways.

I can't get his vision counter to work against Robin's fire projectile. Thunder, yeah it works

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I just started playing online and I just realized how good backslash is. At least in my case I tend to use it way to often. I have a hard time finishing my opponents though. I always have the feeling that Shulks smash attacks are very small and on top of that slow compared to other characters and he doesnt seem to have viable quick attacks to get a kill. But I guess that its only my fault because I still have to get used to the awkward 3DS controls. I really cant wait to play that game with a proper GC controller.
Onizuka. Love it. Greatest Teacher ever. ~Bias~ Also welcome to Smashboards.:shades:

Speaking of Back Slash it reminded me to discuss something in another thread, but yeah Back Slash is radical used for edge-guarding / reads / mix-up & all that. The convenient thing about Shulk's Fsmash & Usmash is that you don't need to worry about the Blade hitting them or not, because a spaced Fsmash or Usmash hitting with the Beam or the Beam's Tip is plenty enough to do the ongoing job playing the match. I know how you feel because I played the 3DS not too long ago & I'm a GC maniac.:urg:
I can't get his vision counter to work against Robin's fire projectile. Thunder, yeah it works
It's just a hunch, but it may be due to the ongoing burning effect ArcFire does when it stays out because it's a lingering hit-box? That's probably why Vision can't get through it, unless Vision has intangibility for a long while in his dashing animation.

Last edited:
It's just a hunch, but it may be due to the ongoing burning effect ArcFire does when it stays out because it's a lingering hit-box? That's probably why Vision can't get through it, unless Vision has intangibility for a long while in his dashing animation.
Multi-hitting projectiles can interrupt vision iirc

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
During the vision's attack
Oh, in that case then yeah I've seen projectiles interrupt Shulk's Vision attack, but I haven't seen a multi-hitting grounded projectile scenario yet. Though if projectiles are clanging with Vision then perhaps Arcfire may be the wall that keeps Shulk out.

EDIT: Vision exploited to be a anti-projectile approach is shut down.:4robinm:

Last edited:
Just don't make the same mistake I did and use buster mostly against Robin. Speed or Jump will probably work better against her

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Just don't make the same mistake I did and use buster mostly against Robin. Speed or Jump will probably work better against her
B-but, you are the Buster Blader, you can make MAB work against her!
Well alright then. Noted, & gives me less of a reason to use Buster against tacticians. Leap frogging over ArcFire sounds decent right?:troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I had some trouble against Robin with his projectiles. You need to use Speed just so that you can rush in there with Shulk and attack.

Mastery of Shulk requires mastery of the Monado Arts and know which ones to use, kinda like how it is in Xenoblade Chronicles.
Jump is really good for recovery and air fighting.
Speed is good for juggling and rushing in in on opponents.
Shield is good against heavy hitters like Bowser.
Buster is a good damage racker; it's very preferable if you used this at the start of a match or new stock.
Smash is a good way to ensure finishers.
Also worth noting is that while Shulk's range is incredible, his attacks are more powerful at the Monado itself, kinda like how Roy's blade is more powerful at the hilt in Melee.

B-but, you are the Buster Blader, you can make MAB work against her!
Well alright then. Noted, & gives me less of a reason to use Buster against tacticians. Leap frogging over ArcFire sounds decent right?:troll:
Yeah. I also can't go buster blader on Mac or Ganondorf :troll:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I had some trouble against Robin with his projectiles. You need to use Speed just so that you can rush in there with Shulk and attack.

Mastery of Shulk requires mastery of the Monado Arts and know which ones to use, kinda like how it is in Xenoblade Chronicles.
Jump is really good for recovery and air fighting.
Speed is good for juggling and rushing in in on opponents.
Shield is good against heavy hitters like Bowser.
Buster is a good damage racker; it's very preferable if you used this at the start of a match or new stock.
Smash is a good way to ensure finishers.
Also worth noting is that while Shulk's range is incredible, his attacks are more powerful at the Monado itself, kinda like how Roy's blade is more powerful at the hilt in Melee.
Well-typed post. To elaborate some more for the OP @ Tetiro Tetiro here's some extra goodies to the Arts utilization:

• Jump: Air-game improves, you practically are an anti-air fighter, in which versing aerial-challenged characters you just made the MU 10-0 in your favor.
  • Speed: Ground game improves so much that this Art arguably is the most ground-based aggressive Art Shulk possesses. Your Anti-ground punishing options against fighters landing just got easier.
  • Shield: Stock tanking & longevity has risen. This is Shulk's go-to turtling Art that makes Shulk the heaviest character in the game, even moreso than Bowser who's the heaviest character without Arts involved. When you're off-stage, turn Shield off asap as it hinders your total recovery, as @ J Jgod has mentioned once.
  • Buster: Neutral Game's most favored Art. You have little reason not to use this unless the MU becomes drastically different that you have to mix-up Buster with something else, but regardless this Art used defensively is a formidable ground or aerial Art that speeds up the % damage dealing process.
  • Smash: The drawbacks hurt, but like Buster's case, not getting hit & dealing the knockback in this Art is very rewarding when moves connect. You can use this Art to avoid being combo'd early game, sealing stocks assuring a lead, & with Rage intact at high %, you feel like you're playing Lucario with AuraBoost%.
Well, I can understand Mac because he's too short to be hit by Back Slash Mr. Buster Blader. I see no reason not to use Buster mode on the King of Darkness though.:troll:

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
This is not going well for me. I have been trying to practice in Training but all the opponents I have faced just spam with projectiles. Anyone else notice that?

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
How2Shulk EZ Guide:

Monado Arts into Buster.

Nair jab fair rinse repeat until 90%

Monado Arts into Smash

F-tilt for the kill.

GG.

Well-typed post. To elaborate some more for the OP @ Tetiro Tetiro here's some extra goodies to the Arts utilization:

• Jump: Air-game improves, you practically are an anti-air fighter, in which versing aerial-challenged characters you just made the MU 10-0 in your favor.
  • Speed: Ground game improves so much that this Art arguably is the most ground-based aggressive Art Shulk possesses. Your Anti-ground punishing options against fighters landing just got easier.
  • Shield: Stock tanking & longevity has risen. This is Shulk's go-to turtling Art that makes Shulk the heaviest character in the game, even moreso than Bowser who's the heaviest character without Arts involved. When you're off-stage, turn Shield off asap as it hinders your total recovery, as @ J Jgod has mentioned once.
  • Buster: Neutral Game's most favored Art. You have little reason not to use this unless the MU becomes drastically different that you have to mix-up Buster with something else, but regardless this Art used defensively is a formidable ground or aerial Art that speeds up the % damage dealing process.
  • Smash: The drawbacks hurt, but like Buster's case, not getting hit & dealing the knockback in this Art is very rewarding when moves connect. You can use this Art to avoid being combo'd early game, sealing stocks assuring a lead, & with Rage intact at high %, you feel like you're playing Lucario with AuraBoost%.
Some things to add there or edit

Jump- Not exactly true regarding the 10-0 MU thing. Characters like Diddy or Jiggs can actually slightly give you some trouble
Speed- You forgot the grabbing. Grabbing is awesome with speed
Shield- Nothing needed to be added
Buster- Nair to jab combo is lolworthy. Unless you get shield grab but that's probably because you're not spacing correctly
Smash- Vision+Smash = Derp

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Some things to add there or edit

Jump- Not exactly true regarding the 10-0 MU thing. Characters like Diddy or Jiggs can actually slightly give you some trouble
Speed- You forgot the grabbing. Grabbing is awesome with speed
Shield- Nothing needed to be added
Buster- Nair to jab combo is lolworthy. Unless you get shield grab but that's probably because you're not spacing correctly
Smash- Vision+Smash = Derp
Diddy or Jiggs aren't aerially-challenged, they're good air fighters. Aerially-challenged characters would be characters like :4littlemac: & :4link:. That's what I meant to say so apologies if the post was slightly incorrect. I did forget about Speed's godlike grab-game ty.

Arkamenitas

Smash Rookie
Oh, in that case then yeah I've seen projectiles interrupt Shulk's Vision attack, but I haven't seen a multi-hitting grounded projectile scenario yet.
i can confirm this. furthermore, i had a shulk mirror match where i broke his vision with multiple hitboxes of Uair while he was using vision just above me, so it follows that attacks which maintain a hitbox in the area can prevent the actual counterattack from striking (assuming your own character is not in a position to be hit at the immediate beginning of the counterattack's strike)

EDIT: dont mind the whole first post thing, i had an account before (some time ago, and then became a lurker), but for some reason i was unable to retrieve it

Last edited:

Arkamenitas

Smash Rookie
for mac, you can actually open with smash. sure, you hit for nothing, but his recovery is so bad that your increased knockback can actually put him too far out to return very low % if you catch him with say, bthrow (or dmash)from the ledge and guard it well.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
i can confirm this. furthermore, i had a shulk mirror match where i broke his vision with multiple hitboxes of Uair while he was using vision just above me, so it follows that attacks which maintain a hitbox in the area can prevent the actual counterattack from striking (assuming your own character is not in a position to be hit at the immediate beginning of the counterattack's strike)

EDIT: dont mind the whole first post thing, i had an account before (some time ago, and then became a lurker), but for some reason i was unable to retrieve it
I dig it. And I will pay mind pretending I didn't read your edit & say, Welcome to Smashboards happy 1st post.:shades:
Welp, I thought Shulk's Vision counter airborne was 2nd best to Lucario's DT slide, but now I'm probably gonna rank Vision as 3rd best counter airborne.:ohwell:

EDIT: Love the Reyn time avatar

Last edited:
Top Bottom