• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How am I going to beat Falcon?

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I am in the Midwest and am trying valiantly to beat a classic Midwest player who mains Captain Falcon. The guy is insane and not going to lie, I have not beat him. I do well with Falco/Fox against him but can never get the full win in our sets but I do take games. But when I go Ganon I get worked pretty well. 3-2 stocked average.

What are some tips? Just what do I need to look out for and what do I need to do?

Last edited:

Superspright

Smash Lord
Read the match-up guide. It's all there. If you're just using uair and 'some other tactics' which is probably fair and bair then you're doing it wrong. That match-up is in his favor, and if he's better than you you probably won't win a set against him. Falco/Fox have the advantage against him so it makes sense you may be able to get a game or two.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Read the match-up guide. It's all there. If you're just using uair and 'some other tactics' which is probably fair and bair then you're doing it wrong. That match-up is in his favor, and if he's better than you you probably won't win a set against him. Falco/Fox have the advantage against him so it makes sense you may be able to get a game or two.
Thanks, sorry I worded it wrong I don't just use the up air and what not.... but thanks. Did not see the match up guide. Yeah, I know I just want to know what to build off of. I know that just knowing what to do wont win me the games alone, just need a base of learning for this matchup.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
So I'm playing against this guy called Gravy right now every once in awhile and he usually 2 stocks me. I'm not really that upset because he's been taking down some big players lately but getting my ass whooped by him has given me some insight in the ganon/falcon mu.

First of all, fairs are really terrible against cf. He moves way too fast and can get under you usually. It's a good punish and a fadeaway fair can beat out a bad approach. But don't use it too much in the neutral game. dairs and bairs out of shield work well if I read his dash dance. Jab and ftilt a lot. ftilt can stop nair shiffls but you have to be careful because cf just carries those hitboxes out a lot farther than you'd think. Waveland as much as you can for movement. Sometimes what I'll do when I have a cf in shield is jump as if I'm going to fair-->jab or something, waveland backwards just a bit right in front of him, baiting out the shield grab and then punish.

I think someone needs to update that guide. It was written in 2009 and doesn't take into account the stages we use today in most tournaments. It also just leaves out a lot of info in general in my opinion. Someone with the proper credentials please make it better.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
So I'm playing against this guy called Gravy right now every once in awhile and he usually 2 stocks me. I'm not really that upset because he's been taking down some big players lately but getting my *** whooped by him has given me some insight in the ganon/falcon mu.

First of all, fairs are really terrible against cf. He moves way too fast and can get under you usually. It's a good punish and a fadeaway fair can beat out a bad approach. But don't use it too much in the neutral game. dairs and bairs out of shield work well if I read his dash dance. Jab and ftilt a lot. ftilt can stop nair shiffls but you have to be careful because cf just carries those hitboxes out a lot farther than you'd think. Waveland as much as you can for movement. Sometimes what I'll do when I have a cf in shield is jump as if I'm going to fair-->jab or something, waveland backwards just a bit right in front of him, baiting out the shield grab and then punish.

I think someone needs to update that guide. It was written in 2009 and doesn't take into account the stages we use today in most tournaments. It also just leaves out a lot of info in general in my opinion. Someone with the proper credentials please make it better.
Oh, I know of Gravy! Pretty solid looking from what I have seen!
Thanks for the info! I would love to hear some more if you have more info or if you can refer me to some matches that aren't Kage. I have watched all of his videos really... Haha.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Oh, I know of Gravy! Pretty solid looking from what I have seen!
Thanks for the info! I would love to hear some more if you have more info or if you can refer me to some matches that aren't Kage. I have watched all of his videos really... Haha.
I'd say gravy is improving faster than the other falcons right now. He's way better than any of the videos you'll find on the front page from searching "gravy ssbm" on YouTube.

From playing this guy, what I've taken away is that the falcon meta is evolving right now. Falcons are all over the place and playing them is more about a player-player mu knowledge. But in general, I guess you could learn some punish game from watching bizzaroflame's set against s2j on one of his really bad days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8II3vHj90

Be careful about what you take away from this. A lot of bizzaro's punishes could've easily been turned on him if s2j hadn't been playing so ****ty.

I realize I'm rambling here but another thing I learned about was zoning. You should always be aware of what your opponent could hit you with from whatever distance you are from them and what you can do to them. This works wonder for defensive and offensive play. For example, if a falcon techs or misses a tech while you're punishing, you need to be within an area that allows you to react to an option before they can shield or do something. The reason I emphasize this is because the falcon/ganon mu is all about punishing hard on both sides. Stocks go by like that. So extending your punishes to their limit as often as you can is extremely vital.

Top Bottom