• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hostility towards Yoshi in For Glory?

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed what may be hostility toward Yoshi on Smash 4's online mode For Glory. Here are several things that have happened:

- When I win a game as Yoshi in 1 vs. 1 mode, the opponent almost always leaves after 1 match.
- Many times, in either 1 vs. 1 mode or 4-player mode, a person will appear on the character select screen for a few seconds, and then immediately leave. My theory is that they see my name tag (which has "Yoshi" in it) and they don't want to play against a Yoshi player.
- Opponents (players) have changed their name tags to insulting things; one person changed their name tag to "F U YOSHI"; some changed their name tag to "SPAMMER" and "USUCK" (note: they only call me a "spammer" when they lose)
- Sometimes in the 4-person free-for-all mode, the 3 players I'm fighting against will form a de facto team and only attack me (Yoshi), causing me to come in last place (they all attack Yoshi [me], and don't attack each other)
- When I win as Yoshi in the 4-person free-for-all mode, everyone leaves after the battle (this has happened many times)
- When I'm playing against someone in 1 vs. 1 mode and I'm winning a match (as Yoshi), sometimes the opponent will deliberately quit and jump off the platform (they will throw the match)
- Sometimes, when playing against someone in 1 vs. 1 mode, the moment the match begins, the opponent will immediately quit (jump off the platform) -- this has resulted in matches that are only 5 seconds long. My theory for why they quit is that they don't want to play against Yoshi (nothing wrong with Internet connection)
- When I use Yoshi's egg lay to get an opponent off the stage (i.e. pooping them off the platform), the opponent never wants a re-match
- When opponents are winning, they taunt all the time (1 vs. 1 mode)
- I am constantly put in "For Glory Hell", the Smash ban server (i.e. the place that people get sent to when they get reported). I've been in "For Glory Hell" 7 or 8 times. Since I'm polite on For Glory (I never taunt, never use insulting name tags, etc.) my theory for why I keep ending up in "For Glory Hell" is that people report me because they hate Yoshi.

Does anyone think this is hostility towards Yoshi specifically, or does this happen to everyone (i.e. hostility in general)?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Yoshi gained a reputation as an annoying, "brain-dead" character during Smash 4, which seems to be carrying over into Ultimate, unfortunately, though I don't think there's much we can do about it.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi gained a reputation as an annoying, "brain-dead" character during Smash 4, which seems to be carrying over into Ultimate, unfortunately, though I don't think there's much we can do about it.
Why are people annoyed by Yoshi? I don't find Yoshi annoying at all.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Honestly, talking with my friend about this was enlightening back then. He and I play Yoshi regularly. And even though I don't primarily play the character as a main go-to character since Shulk was mine 98% of the time in tournaments, I've literally been told by my good friend that he's watched heard and seen many of the community say, "I'd rather watch paint dry than fight Yoshi."

Like, I actually was surprised by this because I've too heard of it but never have I had the experience to be told that during a FG session after winning a match or two. It was then that day that it occurred that moment right as we talked about it when this player had phrases ready on the select screen reading:
"I'd rather"
"watchpaint"
"dry"

It was so surreal and despite that some of the community really ****s on Yoshi players this badly, getting to actually see it was hilarious yet awful to believe. I've never hated fighting Yoshi like most seem to do. Maybe it's because I enjoy Yoshi as a character and play as him...

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, talking with my friend about this was enlightening back then. He and I play Yoshi regularly. And even though I don't primarily play the character as a main go-to character since Shulk was mine 98% of the time in tournaments, I've literally been told by my good friend that he's watched heard and seen many of the community say, "I'd rather watch paint dry than fight Yoshi."
It's strange that people think it's boring to play Yoshi. Yoshi is one of the most unique characters in the game, so you'd think playing against him would be interesting. (For example, he's the only representative of the Yoshi universe, and so he's the only character with a Yoshi egg as a symbol). It is rare for a character to be the sole representative of their universe.

D

Deleted member 189823

It's no surprise to me that people dislike playing against Yoshi online. He can get a lot of stuff for free, randomly throwing out attacks like Jab, Eggz and N-air (get out of a ton of combos). But then again, you kind of seem unlucky. There are actual players (like myself) that can get over that and know how to play him, so it's kind of their fault for not even trying.

Or you could actually, you know, not spam.

- When I use Yoshi's egg lay to get an opponent off the stage (i.e. pooping them off the platform), the opponent never wants a re-match
JAJAJAJAJJAAJAJAJ holy ****

- I am constantly put in "For Glory Hell", the Smash ban server (i.e. the place that people get sent to when they get reported). I've been in "For Glory Hell" 7 or 8 times. Since I'm polite on For Glory (I never taunt, never use insulting name tags, etc.) my theory for why I keep ending up in "For Glory Hell" is that people report me because they hate Yoshi.
wtf that's a real place???

I don't know what's all the hate. All Yoshi mains are adorable.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I haven’t played against many Yoshis online, but as a Yoshi main, seeing the dinosaur get so much hate shocked me for the first time. I thought he was an honest and balanced character that people respected. I felt sad after I found out players considered him a “braindead” character. I don’t care what tier he is in Smash, I use Yoshi because I love him as a character and his play-style is extremely fun!

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
It's strange that people think it's boring to play Yoshi. Yoshi is one of the most unique characters in the game, so you'd think playing against him would be interesting. (For example, he's the only representative of the Yoshi universe, and so he's the only character with a Yoshi egg as a symbol). It is rare for a character to be the sole representative of their universe.
He can mash on your shield for years without getting punished, he has amazing mobility, he has a heavy armor jump so he can punish you for hitting him. His down b is annoying because of the stars. His dair does like 30 percent. He gets amazing reward for landing stray hits. He feels brain dead to fight and more often than not I would rather SD than fight yoshi. No use getting a headache fighting someone i don’t want to.

1FC0

Smash Lord
That is strange, I did not think that people would hate Yoshi. Even if he is easy to play as, he is still pretty balanced.

For me, the only character that I have issues with is Bayonetta. She is overpowered and to top it off she is the ugliest character in Smash Bros ever. In fact, she is the only character that I consider too ugly to use. Which is unfortunate, because otherwise I might have practiced with her a bit just because she is the top character. Now the only character left for me is Cloud but he is only second best and he is so easy to pick up that he requires no practice.

Top Bottom