• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Horizontal Usmash power

sgt. fuzz

Smash Cadet
I've had this happen a couple times, but I can't replicate it on my own. I Usmashed my opponent when he is right next to me and he sheilds. The first part hits the sheild, and the second part blows his brains out with unbelievable horizontal momentum. This can kill at 80% near the ledge. Is there any way to exploit this?

Kensiko

Smash Rookie
Well Wolf's uSmash does two hits: the first does little to no knockback, and the second one, where he brings his legs back together to hit upwards, is the one with all the KO potential.

So what probably happens is that your friend just isn't aware of this, guards the first hit and tries to counter you right away, not expecting the second hit, which is the one that actually does the big damage.

I don't think it has any special properties besides that.

Deci

Smash Rookie
I've noticed this too. I can't seem to be able to control this, but I think it's just because I'm not sure how it works.

Like Kensiko said, I think it has something to do with shielding the first hit, which is the hit used to bring the enemy up above you to set up for the second kick. I'm thinking they also need to be a little bit farther away from you than usual for the second kick for the horizontal thing to work.

But yeah, I managed to land it a few times, its crazy how they get blasted off of the screen.

AMR

Smash Rookie
I've noticed the same thing, I've no clue how to make it work the way you want it to though.

It's the same thing with his dash attack. I've you hit your opponent just as the animation gets toward it's end you get a nice knock back, and his a kill at higher percentages.

I'll try both out a little more if I get the chance.

Mr.Trite

Smash Apprentice
On the 2nd hit, if you touch the side of his hitbox, you go horizontal. By blocking the first hit you avoid the part which forces you to get hit by the hitbox that sends you up and instead get hit by the horizontal part.

Kensiko

Smash Rookie
I doubt that the shield gets ignored by the second hit if the other character is on your side. I'm pretty sure that when someone wanted to block both hits (and knew there would be a second hit coming from my Usmash), they could do so just by keeping the shield up.

But this might depend on a couple things though. I know that in Melee you could direct your shield up, down, towards the front using the control stick. I haven't noticed that in Brawl (you probably can, I just haven't really checked to be honest lol). So, what I'm driving at is, MAYBE, the second hit of the Usmash somehow hits under or over where your opponent happened to direct his shield at that time (whether he knew he was directing his shield or not). But all this depends on if you actually can direct your shield.

Either that or, like I said, he dropped his shield to counter, not expecting the second hit and got smacked by it. I don't recall ever hitting an enemy next to me with just the second hit, but if it does send them flying horizontally, it would really be a rather unpredictable trajectory to try and DI. ;)

Mr.Trite

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure the 2nd hit doesn't ignore shields as I've had even the CPU block both hits.

Just guessing, but maybe they attempted a shield grab after the first hit?

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
lol the horizontal knockback also occurred to me (my bro was transforming into Sheik and I usmash'd him, his char got knocked to the right at high power even with 75%).

smashking14

Smash Cadet
The first hit with the usmash, hits them in to perfect position for the part where he brings his legs together. He probably sheilded only for a second and since he wasn't above you he was sent flying sideways.

Top Bottom