• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U HORI Fight Pad or GCN??

MonadoBoii

Smash Rookie
Hello, I plan on purcasing a Wii U soon and im just curious on which is the better option. I know that the GCN is the most popular and used by many professionals but the HORI looks to have so much more utility. I just curious if anyone has the HORI Fight Pad and what they think of it, should I buy it or just get the GCN?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Well it does double as a Pro Controller so I could see the appeal, but I'd probably just go for the GCN if only because it's official.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Although I've never used a HORI pad, my understanding is that it must be connected to a Wiimote in order to function. Its primary advantage may be its ability to function with other games, including Kart 8, masquerading as a classic controller.

I bought the official adaptor on day one (which also bundled a GC controller) because I already own GC controllers from the GC / Wii era and because I prefer wired controllers. I also despise charging up batteries, so the adaptor lets me play uninterrupted with controllers I'm already used to. Therefore I have no need for the HORI pad, but obviously I'm not part of their target market. Now if they make a wired one which hooks into the adaptor and works with prior consoles, then I might take a second look....

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I have never use the HORI pad either. But I really would like to give a try one day. The L and R button on the HORI pad seems to be easier to press.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I own the Pro Controller, GameCube controller, and the HORI Gamecube controllers. In my opinion, the best controller of the three to play Smash with is the original GameCube controller. The buttons feel natural, as they were from most of our childhoods. You really can't go wrong with it.. unless you consider the utilities, like you (the OP) said. The HORI isn't that bad of a controller. I can play virtual console/eShop games with it, such as Smash 64. Also, it can work for games such as Mario Kart or even Wii games. The left stick on the HORI is a bit sensitive. It's definitely somehthing to get used to. The controller feels super light and cheap, but that's due to the non-inclusion of a rumble feature. I feel that if you are on a low budget, just buy the HORI. They're decently inexpensive and look pretty cool. Significantly more versatile than the GameCube controller + Adapter. There is actually a nice golden Zelda edition HORI you should consider. Or the Pikachu one, which is the one I have. Saves you cash and makes you look stylish. Plus, you can sit from a far and play if need be. Have you considered the Pro controller? I think it's a great controller that feels great in the hands, better than the GameCube Controller. It doesn't feel cheap, the controller is responsive and pretty tactile. Looks snazzy, true wireless, large battery life (80hrs?), and works with Wii U games as well as some games purchased via eShop. Plus it comes with a USB cord that you can charge it with through the Wii U's USB ports or even your laptop. Some downfalls with it would be that it is a fingerprint magnet, gets dirty fast, and the left and right control sticks aren't as accurate (in my opinion) since they do not have the octagonal carvings that the GameCube Controller does.

Don't consider PDP. They are more for looks rather than actually playing.

MonadoBoii

Smash Rookie
I own the Pro Controller, GameCube controller, and the HORI Gamecube controllers. In my opinion, the best controller of the three to play Smash with is the original GameCube controller. The buttons feel natural, as they were from most of our childhoods. You really can't go wrong with it.. unless you consider the utilities, like you (the OP) said. The HORI isn't that bad of a controller. I can play virtual console/eShop games with it, such as Smash 64. Also, it can work for games such as Mario Kart or even Wii games. The left stick on the HORI is a bit sensitive. It's definitely somehthing to get used to. The controller feels super light and cheap, but that's due to the non-inclusion of a rumble feature. I feel that if you are on a low budget, just buy the HORI. They're decently inexpensive and look pretty cool. Significantly more versatile than the GameCube controller + Adapter. There is actually a nice golden Zelda edition HORI you should consider. Or the Pikachu one, which is the one I have. Saves you cash and makes you look stylish. Plus, you can sit from a far and play if need be. Have you considered the Pro controller? I think it's a great controller that feels great in the hands, better than the GameCube Controller. It doesn't feel cheap, the controller is responsive and pretty tactile. Looks snazzy, true wireless, large battery life (80hrs?), and works with Wii U games as well as some games purchased via eShop. Plus it comes with a USB cord that you can charge it with through the Wii U's USB ports or even your laptop. Some downfalls with it would be that it is a fingerprint magnet, gets dirty fast, and the left and right control sticks aren't as accurate (in my opinion) since they do not have the octagonal carvings that the GameCube Controller does.

Don't consider PDP. They are more for looks rather than actually playing.
So in your opinion, the GCN is better for Smash in general and the HORI is good for everything else?

Clu

Smash Rookie
NNID
HoodieHero
Hello, I plan on purcasing a Wii U soon and im just curious on which is the better option. I know that the GCN is the most popular and used by many professionals but the HORI looks to have so much more utility. I just curious if anyone has the HORI Fight Pad and what they think of it, should I buy it or just get the GCN?
Okay, as someone who owns both, I can assure you that the Gamecube controller is far superior to the HORI Fight Pad. The Gamecube controller is much more responsive, and has an easier time with inputs due to the controller plugging directly into the console. The HORI Fight Pad not only has connectivity errors, but is cheaply made, and eats AA batteries from the Wii remote.

Honestly, you are much better off buying a Mayflash Gamecube Adapter and playing with the Gamecube controller. All the pros do it this way for a reason. C:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I've not used the Hori, but If you plan to play in live tournaments, go with the gamecube. It's standard, almost everyone uses it. It's by far the easiest to use when you're constantly moving through multiple setups. The Hori especially, it has to be connected to a wiimote...yuck. That would be a huge pain in the butt having a wiimote attached to your main controller all the time.

Wireless controllers are banned at many tourneys and they're a pain to sync and unsync constantly. You also run the risk of interrupting someone else's matchup if you forget to unsync after the match is over which can be really bad.

Another plus is there's no batteries to worry about.

If you are just playing smash casually, use whatever you feel is most comfortable.

As far as performance, pretty much all the top players in smash 4 use the gamecube controller...so that should say something. The only big name tourney players I know of who don't is Tearbear (uses wiimote and nunchuck) and Sol (uses the pro controller). If the other controllers really had an edge over the gamecube performance wise you'd probably see more of them using them despite the wireless hassle. But all the best players in smash 4 the gamecube controller.

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
man I got the zelda themed hori pad and I can tell you it works but it doesn't feel nearly as good as a gamecube contoller, the buttons are really clicky so it feels weird to time inputs and the analog stick is flatter than the GCN version which feels weird to me

Top Bottom