• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hoping for advice.

MrEh

Smash Hero
A member showed me this vid awhile back. Solid Bowser.

Too much jab canceling though. Near the end, I think Xyro was starting to predict them, so he managed to powershield a couple of your grab release--->Jab--->Ftilt. It's not guaranteed, and it's a small reward for a moderate risk. Especially since the Ftilt rarely kills and is easily punished of a powershield.

If anything, you're much better off throwing them if you don't have a guaranteed kill from a grab release. Ftilts are such a horrible grab release option since it doesn't kill and it's so easy to powershield. Grab release Klaws are better and faster, and Dtilts kill. Of course, I'm not sure if the Dtilt works on Samus. :/

All in all, good Bowser.

B!squick

Smash Master
^I play Wifi so the art of Grab Releases is almost non-existant for me.

Why the D-Throws? O.o Of all of them, this is the one I use the least.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Bowser's throws don't set up for anything unless there's platforms around. (A Uthrow works well in that situation.)

Since they don't set up for anything, Dthrow does the most damage, and is usually preferable. At least to me.

B!squick

Smash Master
I like Up Throw since it puts my opponent above me, generally a good idea, and it looks cool; Back Throw if that puts them off stage; and the rest of the time I do some sort of Grab Release. I don't have them all memorized, so I generally go for a regrab and generally it works. In the take it takes to do a Down Throw I can pummel and Back/Forward Throw off stage and usually have my opponent in a more favorable position.

Depends on where I'm standing and facing, but when I do throw, I never see a need to Down Throw.

It IS fun to do to Peach, however. :p

Oh yeah, great Bowser by the way. Did you end up winning? I couldn't find game 3.

MrEh

Smash Hero
It was friendlies, so I think there were only those matches.

Dthrow ***** by the way. Because it looks funny.

B!squick

Smash Master
Yeah. But it's even better to get the SideB Body Press stuck on the Melee Metroid stage. I saw a of vid of it happening to Ike. XD His arms and legs flailing away...

Vaerix

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I use ftilt for the range--down throw is just amusing to me. Something about that set knockback makes me want to use it. I've been trying to use other throws more lately.

Also, Rockettrainer started recording after game one, but I lost that match and the tournament match (both against Xyro).

B!squick

Smash Master
D: Dam. That guy annoys me. He said something specifically that made me go, "lol, what?.... seriously? o.o" I can't remember what it was exactly, I just know that it forever made me cheer for the other guy whenever I see him play.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Dthrow is my most used throw. Bthrow is used to get em' offstage. Uthrow it used when platforms are around.

Fthrow is lol.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
Make sure when you are using fair onstage you autocancel it.

Save your second jump when recovering. It makes recovering a lot easier for Bowser in general. The only time you should use your second jump early is when you momentum cancel with a fair and are still going to be sent past the blast line.

Learn to tech :p I noticed you got one near the end of the second match, but it's handy to be able to do it consistently

Against characters like Samus whose aerials and zair have very little, if any, landing lag, it's almost always the better option to Fortress OoS. It's just much safer and much more reliable in the Samus matchup. If you are approaching an airbourne Samus and powershield a missile/zair/aerial though, feel free to get that grab in :p

I would normally comment on your lack of klaw usage, but since this against a character who is nearly impossible to approach in the air (at least as Bowser), I'll forgive you. I just hope you are using klaw more against other characters who aren't so anti-air

You are definitely a nice Bowser. I hope you keep representing Bowser players over at HOBO :)

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
I think you did really well, and it's amazing to me that you beat Xyro. That guy is unbelievable.

Anyway, the only thing I would suggest has largely been covered. There were a couple of spots where I thought a Fortress OoS would have been the better option. I'm a Fortress-happy Bowser, though, and Xyro looked like he was shielding pretty well, so maybe it would've just gotten you punished. But that's my take.

And as far as Dthrow goes, I find that when you have a chance to Dthrow near a ledge, putting your opponent off stage, a quick Fire Breath can make it pretty miserable for them, depending on the character.

Miles.

Smash Champion
First of Luigi's Mansion is gay, and it should be banned anywhere they have brains. ( i know its a friendly but still ****s weak)

I played Xyro at Winter Game fest in California so I am impressed. Xryo is no slouch.

My only thoughts are more Oos Fortress I agree with Bragi.

Claw Jumping as an approach is good too. Didnt see you use to much ISJR for mix ups or getting rid of lag.

And more FLAMERBREATH!! when samus is on the edge it really messes her up. I main PT and play against Hive (one of the best samuses) a lot and when I am charizard flamethrower always does the trick on the edge.

I play Bowser as a secondary.

Overall one of the only bowsers i have ever enjoyed watching.

Vaerix

Smash Journeyman
The thing about Klaw is.. against a zair-happy Samus, like you said, Phiddlesticks, it just doesn't feel right to be smacked in the face with an electrowhip.

As far as fortress goes, I've always grown used to shieldgrabbing. ..and I play somewhat regularly against a Diddy. Fortressing one way or another led to a banana.

Oh, and I had no idea that Luigi's Mansion could be used that way. I was honestly surprised the first time he started doing upthrows into down smashes. It was happening so fast that I couldn't tech off anything. I was confused. Should I map shield to another button? The trigger doesn't help my case any.

And thanks for the compliments/advice, everyone. I really hope I can become better.

gregWHO

Smash Cadet
... Hi. XD
Personally, I think you grab release to ftilt to much. I don't necessarily think it's a bad option all the time, but I think it's become predictable playing you though, and you've always thrived on being unreadable. Your edge game and anti-air game are solid from what I know though.

I have some crazy ideas next time we play, sir. :D

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I think you did really well, and it's amazing to me that you beat Xyro. That guy is unbelievable.

Anyway, the only thing I would suggest has largely been covered. There were a couple of spots where I thought a Fortress OoS would have been the better option. I'm a Fortress-happy Bowser, though, and Xyro looked like he was shielding pretty well, so maybe it would've just gotten you punished. But that's my take.

And as far as Dthrow goes, I find that when you have a chance to Dthrow near a ledge, putting your opponent off stage, a quick Fire Breath can make it pretty miserable for them, depending on the character.
i think he only beat me in teams. but i honestly cant remember.

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I was just referring to that one friendly Shadow Swordsman posted on Pokemon Stadium.

Top Bottom