• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hope. Patch 1.0.6

PraiseTheSquid

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site so forgive me for if I happen to accidentally ignore any normatives of this site.

I just wanted to share my opinion about Palutena and maybe get some feedback from everyone

Before the game came out I saw Palutena and thought she was gonna be a badass. I ended up being very dissapointed in her as a character for pretty much one reason
ALL of her smash attacks have an absurd amount of ending lag to them. I have never seen a character have the amount of ending lag on a smash attack like hers do.
Aside from this I think she's an awesome character.

Hopefully with the next patch that is supposed to "tweak character balances" Palutena's smash attack lag can be sped up maybe a couple of frames or so to allow her smash attacks to be a little bit more viable. From what I have experienced with her, her aerials are viable (specifically up-air) but her smash attacks and tilts suffer from extreme ending lag.

Let's hope Sakurai pays attention to characters like Palutena instead of Making Greninja's Side-B struggle.

Last edited:

kingofconeyisland

Smash Rookie
NNID
coneyislandking
more range on ar
bigger windboxes on d and f smash
less endlag on ftilt and f smash

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
I think she's fine. With customs she has all the tools she needs to be an excellent rushdown character. They've already removed some of her end lag in previous patches, I don't expect that to happen again.

If anything I'm scared of nerfs. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai suddenly decides he hates dthrow combos and the lightweight Holy Hoo Hah is removed. Palutena is super fast and has true kill combos. Sounds like everything Sakurai dislikes.

I think she is absolutely fine as she is. Her fsmash has a pretty reasonable endlag considering the size of it, and her up smash is huge and the initial hitbox is extremely quick. Those two moves are so good that they deserve endlag or we'd spam them all of the time.

Her ftilt is the only move that I'd think would need an upgrade, but that's only because it currently isn't worth using at all. A lot of characters in smash games have useless and dangerous moves so I don't really care, it's just a shame that it's so easy to use by accident.

I don't think Pal is dissapointing. I think she's one of the most misunderstood characters in the game. Everyone sees her as a zoner, when she's more like a stage control capitilising aggressive character, even without customs and with a lot of movement options. I think most characters in this game feel very similar, Pal is very unique to play as and has her own tech.

TLDR She's got nowhere to go but down in patches. If they buff her further, she may very well become OP.

Last edited:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
more range on ar
bigger windboxes on d and f smash
less endlag on ftilt and f smash
Bigger/stronger windboxes would be incredible. Faster tilts in general would be appreciated, but we'll see. I choose to remain cautiously optimistic about 1.0.6!

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I would like the wind aspect of her to be pushed further and become more central to her play instead of being a cute little something extra.

I think shielding shouldn't stop the wind from pushing you. That would make things much more interesting. Or alternatively, make the windbox last a little longer so that if they do shield the wind, they have to wait a bit before punishing you (so either they won't be able to punish or can only use a weak punish). Palutena is a really interesting character and I think a stronger windbox game would really make her even more interesting and fun.

I like the huge end lag on her smashes. I don't want her smashes to feel like others'. I want really strong, really rewarding smashes. I think the weakbox of her smashes could be strengthened though. Her smashes are really strong but only if you're pretty close (talking fsmash and dsmash here). Up smash is completely fine ofc especially since it can be used OOS.

I like the idea of ftilt, it puts up an interesting wall. But I think the balance is a little off as it's almost never useful. They got the idea right it could just use slight tweaking. Either end the lag earlier, or make the move not do a measly 6%.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
The windbox should be stronger the longer the smashes are charged at least.

I don't mind the laggy F-tilt in terms of speed. But at least give it A LOT MORE PRIORITY or SIGNIFICANT SHIELD DAMAGE. Sometimes it even seems like F-tilt extends her HURTBOX. It's a slow start up move, with huge end lag, which doesn't trade off in damage/knock back. This move shouldn't stop when it clashes with some other move

Wider hitbox on U-tilt so we can reliably use it to punish rolls.

Buff her D-air and counter somehow. Let only Palutena use customs online :p

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
The windbox should be stronger the longer the smashes are charged at least.

I don't mind the laggy F-tilt in terms of speed. But at least give it A LOT MORE PRIORITY or SIGNIFICANT SHIELD DAMAGE. Sometimes it even seems like F-tilt extends her HURTBOX. It's a slow start up move, with huge end lag, which doesn't trade off in damage/knock back. This move shouldn't stop when it clashes with some other move

Wider hitbox on U-tilt so we can reliably use it to punish rolls.

Buff her D-air and counter somehow. Let only Palutena use customs online :p
Hmm good point about the windbox, making it scale would not be unreasonable at all.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Less Startup lag on F Smash
Slightly bigger hitbox on Dair (or a longer hitbox)

..... and scrap Ftilt all together :denzel:

PremoValentine

Smash Rookie
Either give less start up or less ending lag on her smashes, grab, and tilts or increase the hitbox sizes or delay. I feel that her attacks should be faster considering that she is not that strong. She deserves some attacks that help while she coming from air, a less laggy counter (since hers is the most punishable), and a little less landing lag on her up special. Shes also extremely light to be having this much lag on her attacks.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Everyone has more or less discussed what I'd want, which is an increased emphasis on her "wind boxes". I like the idea that someone mentioned about her Smash Attacks producing a stronger gust of wind the longer they're held; I think that would be very unique.

All in all, I enjoy the way she is, but if she gets any reduction in start-up lag from any of her moves, it would be welcome.

Jahranimo

Smash Rookie
I'm still hoping they speed up her ftilt and utilt a bit.

I didn't really think about increasing her AR range. That could be good for gimping recoveries without jumping off the stage. That would be awesome lol.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Auto recital has good range imo. Tr bad point Is if they roll or spotdodge it doesn't target anything so u have silly end lag . Allow it to sense rolls and I'm happy

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Best case scenario, for me at least, would be a buff to the lag after her attacks, pretty much.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
Best case scenario, for me at least, would be a buff to the lag after her attacks, pretty much.
Well you got it.

Down tilts is way faster now no doubt about it.

F tilt and up tilts seems faster too, but i cant say it properly yet.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
No. Unfortunately, Palutena was almost completely ignored in the patch. No changes whatsoever outside of fixing the SS momentum glitch... :'c

On the bright side, that means Infinite Lightweight is still in the game.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
No. Unfortunately, Palutena was almost completely ignored in the patch. No changes whatsoever outside of fixing the SS momentum glitch... :'c

On the bright side, that means Infinite Lightweight is still in the game.
M2k thinks less lag no nair, More grab range.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
M2k thinks less lag no nair, More grab range.
Again, no. All of that is placebo.

I mean, I had 2 screens sitting side by side and I went through every single move.

I had THREE other people on Skype (Ninjalink, etc.) testing it as well.

Aerolink on facebook backs up the same claims.

Literally no changes besides the one I mentioned. Are people in denial that bad that you guys are trying to find something?
It's sad, but true. She hasn't been buffed at all.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Again, no. All of that is placebo.

It's sad, but true. She hasn't been buffed at all.
Yea, I believe that too. Thats what is in the pit chat. people saying too much bs ;/ just placebos. Like in m2k's stream they were fangasming over auto recital like it has more range. it was always half of FD Loool.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Although I would still prefer they share the patch notes, there's a lot of benefits to it actually that are interesting (aside from avoiding rustling casuals and making them sad their character was nerfed).

Since everyone is looking to see if anything is better, people naturally will start realizing how good some moves/characters already are and pay more attention to every little strength. It makes people re-evaluate the characters a bit and weakens biases (like thinking certain characters are good when it may be just because they're popular, or because the players playing those characters happen to be better than other players).

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
What i think would complete palutena:
-Increase her startup lag and endlag from her fsmash and down smash. Are way too laggy and punishable on whiff.

-improve her ftilt to be a multihitting shield poker attack with more dmg intead of the bulltshid it is now.

-increase the power of her downair. For how difficult and situational it is, its lacklustre.

-make her counter hit more constantly. Most of the times I find myself succeding in the counter but failing to hit the enemy because he slightly moved during his attack. Also make it stronger, something in the line of shulks. She is a goddes ffs

Last bt least, I would love her Foward B to be improved an make its knoback bigger and more consistant.... to be used not only as an antiproyectile move, but also as a “get out of my face“ attack.

All this changes would make her definitely competitive.

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
Played around with the New Palutena and holy cow what an upgrade. She seems totally viable and dangerous now. There are a lot of subtle tweaks that I am having a hard time quantifying but they are there.

The biggest one for me was the Shield upgrade. I literally dash attacked through a fully charged Thoron from Robin o.O!!

There is some sort of I-frames setup on moves that put the shield in front of her.

Other things I notices were the decreased englag which really benefitted her smashed and more importantly her aerials. She still has crazy lag on Ftilt (dont miss with it) but at least the hitboxes now hold characters in more so that when you DO connect you cant be counters.

Before when you would hit with these moves the hitstun was so low that you would end up trading with characters since they could spam an attack soquickly after being hit.

There is probably a lot more to discover but I might be picking this character up

Top Bottom