• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hookshotting (theory)

D

Deleted member

Hi. I'm not a YL main, i just play w/ him every once in a while, and i found that the attack hookshot (u know, aeriel Z) can be quite effective in combat. It has, a massive range, maybe even more than Marth's attacks. it does low damage, but it can add up. Think about it... Shffled hookshots :p So what do u guyz think?

tshahi10

Smash Ace
hookshots don't shffl.the only way this should ever be used is diagnol dodge backwards and A

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
From what I know, Y.Link's hookshot has the same lag as Link's and even shorter range.
I'm a Link main, and the only times I would use it is to just piss off the guy I'm going against,
or just using it for fun/sandbagging.

It has too much post-lag to be useful, even if it has really good range. Plus, it has really weak knockback,
and they could just get hit, and come back and knee you or something.
Taking a bomb or boomerang out is more effective.

MAYBE if you learned how to edge cancel hookshots, they would be a bit more useful.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Hookshot attacks are only good if you air dodge into danger. If the opponent is waiting for your air dodge to finish (in order to break your face in), you can cut it early and shoot the hookshot out at the opponent to save your life.

Otherwise, it shouldn't really be integrated into your combos. It has bad knockback.

Chip.

you know what to do
Hi. I'm not a YL main, i just play w/ him every once in a while, and i found that the attack hookshot (u know, aeriel Z) can be quite effective in combat. It has, a massive range, maybe even more than Marth's attacks. it does low damage, but it can add up. Think about it... Shffled hookshots :p So what do u guyz think?
If you could find a way to reduce the lag of this attack after you land on the ground, then let me know.

I agree it's good for spacing; esp. if both you and your opponent are in their sheilds; all you have to do is jump out've shield->airdodge in place-> hookshot and DI back and their will be a good amount of distance between you and your opponent's sheild.

Don't spam this technique though, I'm still experimenting.

I'm serious though about finding a way to cancel the lag lol

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Ledge cancell'd hookshots work but suck.

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
I'm a random guy in the Y. Link thread for no reason, but I'm thinking I'll try a ledge canceled hookshot into a down air next time I play him. Should have small enough knock back to combo into.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
lol.
ledge cancel hookshots.
wtf.

Next, you guys will be coming up with like..platform canceling up-b or wall jumping boomerangs.
lmao

anyway, all u guys are saying that the aerial hookshot is bad. IMO it is quite bad, but not as bad as u guys make it sound like. its great to use for unpredictability and range-wise. its range is the longest attack of Young Link's with the exception of projectiles
i myself only use this attack about once a blue moon. but it works so GOOD when i do use it.
this trick isnt really something u can just throw out there. basically wat im saying is, its very situational

one way it could be used, is when sheik throws needles at u on the ground, u can airdodge thru them and then hookshot. this is one of my favorite scenarios that i have used. there are many more, but u just have to experiment.

Chip.

you know what to do
Interesting Find everyone:

When you're hanging on the edge, remember young Link's farthest ledge-hop attack is ledge-hop -> airdodge -> arial hookshot -> hit opponent with the arial hookshot. I've discovered that a good variation of this is to ledge-hop (wit invinciblility frames), airdodge (wit invince frames that comes from airdodging), arial hookshot, THEN DI back and edge-cancel ALL the lag and grab the edge again.

The good thing about this technique is that not only are you invincible from the ledge-hop, but also from the airdodge - basically meaning your invincible the whole time until you unleash your arial hookshot which will hit your opponent or their sheild, but THEN you can retreat back to the edge and cancel all your lag safely.

This Tech is so cute =)

Top Bottom