• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Honor among Smashers

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'll try to make some sense here. :laugh: I play the game for fun, and as far as I'm concerned... Honor? How honorable can you get in Brawl? Let me put you in this situation, if you were in a tournament for 500$... I'm pretty sure you'd use a few cheap methods also to win? I sure know I would. :laugh: I only play the game for fun and I don't really have a true honor code. I lay out taunts like they're nothing. (Not trash-talking taunts, but fun taunts) When it comes to edge-hogging and locking an opponent, well, they're both skills. I edge-hog all the time. And I also lock people when I can. True honor isn't about letting your opponent win. Occasionally, when I'm facing a good opponent and on the verge of winning, I take my Stock down to match up with his / her just got the heck of it, and not for the "honor". Only thing I have to say now is I don't think edge-hogging and wall-locking are "unhonorable" strategies... :ohwell:

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
So I was playing smash with some friends, and there are more than 4 people, so the losers each round switch off with the people waiting. I myself am a big 1v1, neutral stage fan, but we ended up playing a 4-way FFA on temple...

So I pick Falcon, and the other 3 people immediately head for the cave, and pummel the crap out of each other. I'm standing at the top entrance, just waiting, dash-dancing, and screaming SHOW ME YOUR MOVES at the top of my lungs. Anyways, my friend says I have no honor since I'm not down in the pit getting my face smashed in.

Honor leads to tricky situations, people. It's based completely on moral sense, but frankly the game doesn't care about that. If you want to win (like hell I was going to give my controller to the guy waiting), you really can't harbor any negative feelings against things like camping, edgeguarding/hogging, spamming, etc.
Getting bashed against the cave walls is pretty fun though.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
think of competitive play as the U.S. thinks of terrorists...IF WE DONT F**K EM OVER FIRST, THEY WILL...dont kid yourself into thinking that a tourney opponent wouldnt utilize the most annoying, most spammish, most unavoidable attacks over and over again if it meant theyd get that much closer to winning the whole thing...the only code when it comes to competitive play is ruthlessness...dressing it up with chivalry doesnt matter, as long as you can say you won at the end of the day...heres another analogy...COMPETITIVE PLAYERS ARE LIKE GUYS THAT USE ROOFIES, DOING WHATEVER IT TAKES--NO MATTER HOW DISPICABLE--TO GET SOME.

though, i often times feel this is wrong...i have none-the-less come to realize that these people offer no mercy whatsoever...SO WHY SHOULD I???

Top Bottom