• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Honestly, I feel that you should be able to JC Withdraw.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I always have a really hard time with Withdraw, mainly because it's almost impossible to get out of Withdraw. Before you dismiss me off as one of "those guys" that always complain about the game, please hear me out.

I personally love to use Withdraw, and my favorite tactic to use is to hit them with it, then immediately follow up with a jump towards them and then a fair. However, I often think that you can Jump Cancel this, and often find myself falling off the stage because I don't remember to press A or my C-stick. I also feel like other Squirtle players have this problem.

What I feel like would be great would be if Squirtle could JC his Withdraw by jumping twice: one for the jump in his withdraw, and one more to cancel it. I feel like it would help a lot of Squirtle players, especially the new ones.

Thank you for your time to read this.

TL:DR: JC Squirtle's Withdraw by jumping twice.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Withdraw is already a move that is only semi-commital since you can start it in an enemies range and then instantly weave away/jump over attempts to stuff the move. I think being able to JC with it would be really unbalanced.

Getting out if withdraw is def not impossible, you just need to press B and wait for the exit animation that takes about a half second or so to complete. I'm sure this isn't the response you were looking for, but I think you just need to get better with it.

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I'm pretty sure the way you just described jump cancelling withdrawl would actually take longer than just pressing b lol.

You're gonna kill yourself a lot with side b, every squirtle player does that for a while, but then you get better and stop using the move so much :D

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure the way you just described jump cancelling withdrawl would actually take longer than just pressing b lol.
I know, but lemme give you the scoop on my thought process real quick:

As soon as I fall off the stage, it takes me a while to realize I didn't hit the enemy. I know, I should work on that, but bear with me. That takes about half a second.
After that, I start mashing my jump button for about a complete second. By the time I remember that I can't JC Withdraw, I've already fell out of the box.

It's just... my gut instinct tells me to JC. I have absolutely no idea why, it just tells me.

Lately, I'm trying to Aqua Jet out, instead, because for some reason, Aqua Jetting out is a lot easier than just normal canceling, but I'm still constantly falling off the stage, heh heh.

The way I see it, the change I'm suggesting is a minor change that won't affect gameplay much, but it would be really helpful for players like me that have the weird gut instinct to JC it.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Well, I mean it sounds like you really just need to learn how to use the move. You should never be falling off the stage with side b.
If you're approaching an opponent at the edge with side b, try turning around right as you are about to hit them so that if you miss, you don't fall off the stage and then accidentally kill yourself.

Practice cancelling side b by jumping (while on stage) then pressing b. You shouldn't ever let the move run out on it's own because it leaves you really vulnerable on the stage. If you make this a habit you should stop killing yourself when you do fall offstage.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Being given the option to jump cancel a move will never be a "minor change". It is one of the most powerful attributes you can give a move in a game like smash. This is especially true if you were to put it on a move like withdraw.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
well he described the jc coming after the withdraw hop iirc, so there at least wouldn't be jc grabs or wavedash out of withdraw, so not that ridiculous

~Dad~

part time gay dad
well he described the jc coming after the withdraw hop iirc, so there at least wouldn't be jc grabs or wavedash out of withdraw, so not that ridiculous
Yeah I saw that, but I was just imagining the horror that would be a true JC withdrawl.

The way he proposes being able to jump out of withdrawl is pretty much completely pointless, though. Just press b.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I think the main thing I have to do is learn that jumping won't help you do anything during Withdraw, so that's probably where I have to start out XD

Thanks for the feedback, though! I guess I just have to get better, haha.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Jumping does help though. You can shorthop/fullhop over low moves and onto platforms. It just isn't used for exiting the shell.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Withdraw if anything is getting changed (nerfed) to be a larger commitment, so expect slower turn-around (if any) and a lack of options out of the move. It's amazing it even still has armor honestly.

Top Bottom