• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Holy Christ I suck with Fox

AC1D

Smash Cadet
I started playing as fox recently, and thought I was pretty good. Then I went to a local tournament, and got owned. I asked some guys at the tournament for help, and they just said to jump out of shines, and use upsmash alot. Also, Im not very technical. Any advice for a not technical fox?

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

gg

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Today is my turn to address someone.

There are more than a half dozen stickies in this section. Use them. That's the best I can offer without having a video of you to critique and look at. All you can do is read up on all of the information and practice.

AC1D

Smash Cadet
That's kinda my problem....All the guides and stuff cater to a very technical fox, which uses shffling, waveshining and such. Im not asking how to use these techniques, Im asking how to survive without them.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
To be honest, you can't survive as fox for very long without the tech skill. There was a point where all of us were unable to pull off Fox's techs, and it just took practice. If you had asked me a year ago if I could waveshine, I would've laughed and told you that I'm not fast enough. Nowadays I have perhaps the most technical Fox in GA. It just took practice.

My point is just to keep practicing the techs. Start small, learning to wavedash consistently, and put it into your game. Then move on to learning how to shffl your different air attacks. By the time you get shffling down, you'll have improved by a lot, trust me.

AC1D

Smash Cadet
Well, I think that you can be relatively successful without advanced techs. (Look at Masashi and Takagi.)

BTW I can dash dance and WD, I just can't shffl and waveshine and stuff.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
how often do you think masashi misses l-cancels? close to never. If you really don't want to learn to play technical at all, just learn of l-cancel and full hop tripple laser. get good at uthrow>uair combos. DD all around the stage jumping and shooting lasers, and play a really campy, aggravating fox that makes you're opponent come to you, make them whiff, grab>uthrow>uair or just usmash.

AC1D

Smash Cadet
Sounds good. How do you full hop triple laser?

PS. I like being aggrevating

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
look at the stickys in the fox section.Watch how pros play with fox in different situations such as Masashi.Finally create your own style once you learn how to do each advanced move.

AC1D

Smash Cadet
ok ill try it. Also, I have a very, VERY noob question.(God Ill burn for this one....)
when exactly do you have to press l to l-cancel? is it during the attack, or when you land, or...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Within 6 frames (1/10 sec) BEFORE hitting the ground while an attack is still out. It 1/2 lag time on the move. NOTE: you do not need to push L/R in all the way, it just needs to be pressed in more than it was on the previous frame. NOTE: z also works for L-cancelling (but will need to be pushed in all the way). NOTE: there is a search function.

AC1D

Smash Cadet
Sorry for asking a question in my own thread. Ill go die now.*bleeds*

Metà

Smash Master
Im asking how to survive without them.
Step 1: Be Masashi
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

Really, don't expect to last long against high-level players without using advanced techs unless you're Masashi or Aniki, or one of those Japanese smash geniuses. In order to get good at this game at a competitive level, you have to practice, learn, and master some essential skills.

It's like how I was with music. I used to wish I was better at the clarinet, but I never wanted to practice, and I was hoping to get better without learning to play in all keys and use proper finger technique. It didn't work, so I ended up practicing for years, and now I'm pretty **** good on clarinet, and even ended up being good at sax too, using the same tenacity for improvement. It's the same with smash. Put in the time, master the essentials, and you have the potential to be an amazing player. And maybe with what you learned from playing Fox, you could get good with some other characters too.

If you read all of this, can I ask why you weren't practicing? JK, if you don't want to use these skills, you don't have to, but don't expect to be good without them.

the CRAB

Smash Cadet
really, man, L-cancelling will improve your game a LOT. you'll notice a huge difference in your game. but it's gonna take practice and it's only one step in becoming not-crap. fox is a very technical character, and if you want to improve, you gotta step up and learn the tech skills.

AC1D

Smash Cadet
Step 1: Be Masashi
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

Really, don't expect to last long against high-level players without using advanced techs unless you're Masashi or Aniki, or one of those Japanese smash geniuses. In order to get good at this game at a competitive level, you have to practice, learn, and master some essential skills.

It's like how I was with music. I used to wish I was better at the clarinet, but I never wanted to practice, and I was hoping to get better without learning to play in all keys and use proper finger technique. It didn't work, so I ended up practicing for years, and now I'm pretty **** good on clarinet, and even ended up being good at sax too, using the same tenacity for improvement. It's the same with smash. Put in the time, master the essentials, and you have the potential to be an amazing player. And maybe with what you learned from playing Fox, you could get good with some other characters too.

If you read all of this, can I ask why you weren't practicing? JK, if you don't want to use these skills, you don't have to, but don't expect to be good without them.
I am practicing, I just need a short-term solution. Also, I think finding out how to be good without advanced tech, and then implementing advanced tech could be very effective.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
For short term solutions, just camp, shoot some lasers, run away, camp some more, shoot some more lasers, wait for a mistake, then grab them, and go on from there. Oh, up smash is good. Very good.

Jx31

Smash Ace
Ok, here's my two cents.

I may not have much experience compared to the other people posting advice on this thread nor I'am a fox main however, after recently buffing up my(untested -_-)Fox I feel that I can give SOME advice. While you can be successful in tournaments using fox without being ridiculously technical there are fundamental skills that you need to be able to perform. The skills I'm referring to include L-canceling, Wavedashing, Waveshining, and many other techniques which I will not get into. I have never seen a successful fox who could not (or does not) perform these skills in battle, Masashi Included(from what I've seen from his videos, correct me if I'm wrong). You don't have to be able to spam wavedashes all over the place like I see oh so many people do, you just need to able to perform the techniques. Uh, yeah thats all I have to say. *Runs back to the Marth section.*

leechy9

Smash Cadet
lol the thing is, fox is a very technical character. which is why he is so hard to master. if u want a character that is less technical and has speed like fox's try capt. falcon

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Ok, here's my two cents.

I may not have much experience compared to the other people posting advice on this thread nor I'am a fox main however, after recently buffing up my(untested -_-)Fox I feel that I can give SOME advice. While you can be successful in tournaments using fox without being ridiculously technical there are fundamental skills that you need to be able to perform. The skills I'm referring to include L-canceling, Wavedashing, Waveshining, and many other techniques which I will not get into. I have never seen a successful fox who could not (or does not) perform these skills in battle, Masashi Included(from what I've seen from his videos, correct me if I'm wrong). You don't have to be able to spam wavedashes all over the place like I see oh so many people do, you just need to able to perform the techniques. Uh, yeah thats all I have to say. *Runs back to the Marth section.*
Masashi does not wavedash, nor waveshine. He doesn't even short hop.

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
learn to downair -> l cancel -> shine -> jump or wavedash away.

learn to shffl nair -> l cancel -> shine -> wavedash away

learn to JC grab

learn to running upsmash

learn to waveshine -> upsmash

learn to be accurate with upthrow -> upair

DO THESE THINGS if you REALLY wanna be a good fox player. otherwise forget it

Jx31

Smash Ace
Masashi does not wavedash, nor waveshine. He doesn't even short hop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-VKOzipPYg&mode=related&search= (from the description this is a friendly so that would explain the wavedashing/shining in this match)

waveshine 1:25, 2:30

He also wavedashed a few times during the match (outside of an after kill taunt).

Though your right about the short hopping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et3eW2hmnfQ&mode=related&search=

O:06 attemped wavedash to grab

2:37 waveshine

I do know what you mean by how he very rarely uses these, I just wanted to point these out though. Tis getting late so I'll shut up now.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
lol the thing is, fox is a very technical character. which is why he is so hard to master. if u want a character that is less technical and has speed like fox's try capt. falcon
Noooooo... don't ever suggest that again. CF is such a calculated character to play, you need ridiculous character control to use him well. While it might just look like a bunch of running, grabbing, uairing, and kneeing, it's actually a very precise thing w/ CF. In fact, i'd say that CF require more tech skill to use at an un-technical level than fox in order to achieve the same results.

EDIT: just for the record, Mashashi is in no way lacking technical skill, he just doesn't show it too much during matches by doing flashy stuff, he just does what is required (except shine spikes), but Mashashi is not really any less technical than any major US fox player. It is kinda weird to see a competent fox who never uses a shffl in an entire match.

Kumagari

Smash Cadet
So... I gotta ask... why all the hate on Masashi? Have you guys played with him? I don't think so... I just got back from spending a year abroad in Japan and I did. I went to tournaments with Masashi, Aniki, Thunders, all of them! I can assure you that all of them have amazing technical skill. The reason that they don't do all the "flashy" moves in tournaments is because they play to win. This means that they do the moves that will get the most gain in the match and still be safe. How safe is it to mindlessly waveshine all over the place? Isn't it much better to analyze your opponent, find out where their weaknesses are, and then capitalize on that with a well timed upsmash or something? Anywho, just my thoughts...

AC1D

Smash Cadet
Don't get me wrong, I know that Masashi and Aniki have technical skill ive seen them both wavedash, and ive seen Aniki super wavedash. But, just like you said, They choose not to that often. I thought this was because their style was simply different. Apparently, though, It's because they read their opponents first, and play it safe. Can anyone direct me to a source for reading opponents? Maybe a thread Ive overlooked?

BTW Toecutter that was great...I could'nt have put it better.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Instead of reading opponents, you can also force them to do what you want them to do. By abusing lasers and dash dancing you should be able to piss off enough players into coming after you quickly. If they decide not to, more shl and stuff. Your dealing damage while trying to force them to come at you at the same time.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-VKOzipPYg&mode=related&search= (from the description this is a friendly so that would explain the wavedashing/shining in this match)

waveshine 1:25, 2:30

He also wavedashed a few times during the match (outside of an after kill taunt).

Though your right about the short hopping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et3eW2hmnfQ&mode=related&search=

O:06 attemped wavedash to grab

2:37 waveshine

I do know what you mean by how he very rarely uses these, I just wanted to point these out though. Tis getting late so I'll shut up now.
Oh wow, those are the first matches that I have seen Masashi actually wavedash. I stand corrected.

yomedrath

Smash Apprentice
Don't get me wrong, I know that Masashi and Aniki have technical skill ive seen them both wavedash, and ive seen Aniki super wavedash. But, just like you said, They choose not to that often. I thought this was because their style was simply different. Apparently, though, It's because they read their opponents first, and play it safe. Can anyone direct me to a source for reading opponents? Maybe a thread Ive overlooked?

BTW Toecutter that was great...I could'nt have put it better.
and here we are, at the mysterious thing called Mindgame, that covers mostly everything thats not techskill...
also, experience will help...

i dont think youll ever find a thread that will help you read your opponent XD

Top Bottom