• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hmm... Maybe I missed something

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
So I popped in my game of brawl and started doing a little practice with sheik [as I do on a normal occasion]. Tethering around a bit, a question hit me pretty hard [something along the strength of marth's tipper F-Smash]: When we're ledge grabbing [to ledgeguard], why are we using sheik's normal grab instead of her tether grab all the time?

When I thought about it, it really made much more sense to do so. After this enlightening moment, I started to try it and I saw no real flaws with it.

In case your still confused by what I'm saying, here's the controller input for both scenario's:

Normally
Run off ledge + FF + Insta ledge grab

Tether
Run off ledge + B [and control stick in direction of ledge] + B Whenever you want your invincibility

Try it.

Now that you understand what I'm talking about, and/or have tried it, please tell me: What am I missing? There has to be some incredibly obvious underlying factor that I'm missing as to why you wouldn't always do this to ledgeguard. You're really only limited by how fast you can press B twice, and both ways look like they give you the same amount of invincibility.

Sheik board, I command you. Arm me with knowledge.

False Soundz

Smash Apprentice
You mean by grabbing the straight after falling with your tether so you can claim your invincibility frames whenever you want?

A lot of us do this, but there's no point in doing it unless you're edge-hogging someone. Edge-guarding means stopping your opponent from getting back onto the map, ultimately gimping him/her.

If you're fighting a Samus, and he's trying to recover I would jump of the edge, tether grab and wait for him to press Up-B then after that I would press up to gain my invincibility. If this is what you meant everyone actually does this. But FF onto the edge and grabbing on is much faster if someone is about to Up-B.

So to answer your question, some of us do this, some of us don't. It's a preference. Whoever has fast reaction speed really can't fail both ways. For those with slow speeds, they can prefer to tether and just wait a while and press up to prevent his/her opponent from getting back on.

YesISpeakChinese

Smash Apprentice
why don't you just hadoyken (sp?) and then after if ur invincibilty frames wear off you can just tether hog a coupla times

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I tried the Hadouken, but because this isn't Capcom vs. SNK 2 I can't roll cancel and get invincibility frames for it. Luckily, the crossover Mid Kick into the light jab + medium jab + and then the Shinkuu Hadouken still works... Yay super combos...

But I digress, what the heck do you mean YISC?

xiferp

Smash Apprentice
He's saying hog as usual and then just regrab with tethers when needed. I think.

YesISpeakChinese

Smash Apprentice
however that thing is spelled, you basically run towards the edge then do a quarter turn of the control stick which basically you latch on to the edge
if you fastfall after running of the edge you have the right idea just do the quarter rotation quicker
say i was running to the left side of final destination, and i start running, i would quarter circle from left to down in a counter clockwise rotation
basically provides an extremely quick way to go from teh plat form to the edge
i assume you know how to tether hog

Squidster

Smash Ace
Cause you can only tether 3 times before touching the ground so if you have the option to just speedhog, do that instead

You can always tether hog to renew invincibility as has been mentioned and you have 3 tethers left.

hurricaneap60

Smash Rookie
FATALITY!!!

it's also nice to jump out a bit and tether from a distance and then fall down (still tethered) so people with horizontal or horizontalish recoveries can't hit you or grab the ledge.

-- ledge
|--------------->(fox/falco/wolf/etc.)
|
(you)

if they till they get closer to you (to try and hit you with their recovery... for some reason) you can gimp them with a bair... i think

Top Bottom