• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hm, I've seem to have made a new Zelda discovery, but is it useful?

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
Well, messing around with my homies in the hood like an everyday thing, I was Zelda fighting a Link. At the start of the fight, I chain-grab him (I think we all know Zelda's DThrow chain-grab, right?), anyways, I found it interesting that I didn't feel like throwing him again or even hurt him and well... he jumped O.O'

Let's go back and think a little, most of us know are aware that tall characters like Zelda make short characters like Kirby, Pikachu, Olimar, etc... will jump whether they are hurt by the grab-attack or not (sometimes they won't when they're hurt though, it's pretty random).

I'll repeat what I posted in another thread:

"It seems that this work on every ******, I finished testing it on every character and these are the one you can do it on:

-Mario
-Kirby
-Pikachu
-Mr. Game And Watch
-Luigi
-MetaKnight
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur
-Yoshi
-Ice Climbers
-Ness
-Wario
-Toon Link
-Olimar
-Jigglypuff
-Lucas

Alright here's what I found out. This technique is VERY unlikely to work on characters other than Wario or Jigglypuff. Why? Because only Wario and Jigglypuff will go directly upwards when done to. I don't know why this happen but is the way it is. Everyone else will go diagonally away from you to the point where it is too far for you to chain the attack.

The difference between Wario and Jigglypuff however is that Jigglypuff will go much higher than Wario for its "floatyness". What is EXTREMELY hard to do on Wario, the UAir, is EXTREMELY easy to do on Jigglypuff, than again, every other aerial will probably fail because she goes way too high and by the time you try to make contact, the will dodge or jump so UAir is your only option against it.

Wario is the only you can decide whether you do Lightning Kick, Lightning Meteor or NAir. For everyone else, don't bother and just throw them, we all know Zelda does great damage when throwing anyways so it's a much wiser choice."

Hmm... go into Training Mode, be Zelda and have your opponent be Link, DThrow him and right when you do, grab him again and do not hurt him, he will jump 45 degrees in front of you.

"But he's not a ******! What gives?!"

My thoughts exactly...

I tried using on many other characters with chain-grabbing ability like King Dedede, Falco, Pikachu, Ice Climbers, Pit, etc... and none of them have this effect.

It works against every single character in the game except for:

-Samus (She's just too tall >_>)
-Zelda (You're too tall for yourself? o.o)
-Falco (No idea why it doesn't work on him...)
-Lucario (Same as Falco...)
-Captain Falcon (No idea...)
-Jigglypuff (WAYYY too floaty)

So taking a little look into the game's "physics" I found out that this can be done because Zelda mantains the character "standing" instead of "kneeling" like ******* or someone like Samus would do AND because when doing so the character is in its "spinning" animation. This means someone like Ike or Marth can do it but they have no easy way of chain-grabbing the character while in their spinning animation so let's just say it is exclusive to Zelda for now.

Brawler: So how the heck is this useful?
Mega-Japan: >.>...
Brawler: ...
Mega-Japan: Well, other than it being another way of giving you a free Lightning Kick or Lightning Meteor on Wario, it really has no use because of the huge lag you're given after letting them go. I tried finding useful methods but unfortunately none of them work.
Brawler: So why in the world do you post such an useless pack of information?
Mega-Japan: That my friend, is something that I would like to ask myself. It IS information regardless whether it is useful or not, something to add up, it doesn't hurt to know something extra you know...
Brawler: OMFG dude you wasted like 10 minutes of my time making me read this!
Mega-Japan: I made you? o.o Oh well...

ThePeopleKiller

Smash Rookie
lmao dude, this thread is epic win, explaining in such detail a technique that turns out to be completely useless. You own.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
So, theoretically, if this were to be useful, what is the proverbial "stick" in Zelda's wheels?

I ask this in hopes of finding a solution somewhere along the road. For example, if it is just a matter of lag delay, perhaps learning how to cut down on lag might take this to a information to a higher place...

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Bahahaha.

What's stopping this from being useful?
If there were possibly a way to make this useful, what would it be?
...What's your problem? :p

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
Bahahaha.

What's stopping this from being useful?
If there were possibly a way to make this useful, what would it be?
...What's your problem? :p
It would be VERY useful if Zelda had no lag when letting go on the opponents. This could lead to many combo possibilities such as a free Light Kick, Lightning Meteor, USmash, etc...

But because of that lag Zelda is unable to run towards them and perform a move. By that time the opponent is lone gone jumping, sheilding or whatever.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I remember reading something about that on the site somewhere a while ago. I think it was about reducing the lag on one of the characters or something. Maybe it was DeDeDe.

Maybe if you slap them JUST as you begin to detach you can change it a bit?

I'll play around with the move and see if anything comes up. So far blocking and crouching seem to have no real effect.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i am not sure it works o jiggs i was playing a friend and he was able to jump away before i could get the up-smash off

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
That auto grab release thing can be done on ANY character, not necessarily *******. Just hold them off the side of the stage and they will all jump away. Ganondorf, Bowser, anyone...

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
That auto grab release thing can be done on ANY character, not necessarily *******. Just hold them off the side of the stage and they will all jump away. Ganondorf, Bowser, anyone...
You're right, the trick is that the character is not touching the ground. But what are the chances of you catching a skilled opponent on the edge?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
As I recall it's not really a chain grab. They CAN escape if they know how, but it is quite easily to grab at least twice.

Top Bottom