• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hints to Downloadable content / updates

ElFreakinCid

Smash Cadet
Pro: They might have loads of characters available that deserved to be playable in the first place.

Con: It'll probably cost a small fortune to download just ONE character.

Gewaldro

Smash Rookie
Excuse my question please, but how should we update it into the game? The datas have to be overwritten,
and AFAIK the Wii can't write down datas to a CD like a CD-writer does. It's something different with the Pokemongames for Gameboy and DS, on this casettes datas can simply be copied into the game but it's different with CDs. But another thing is, when a computer game gets installed on the PC, we can update it to. For example World of Warcraft, but Brawl doesn't get installed on the Wii's fixed disk, it just saves the data there. But if they would provide downloadable content it would be great!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
No, like mentioned earlier, if there was DLC it would have been advertised. We won't even get stages. I am confident of this! What I might (with extremely low odds) see them doing is releasing another version of Brawl titles maybe Super Smash Bros Brawl DX. We might see something like 10 characters (not a joke lol) added. They would presumably have no SSE siginficance...

That is a long shot though. And, don't be a noob that says we already have downloadable stages. We don't. We just get fed a code that constructs a stage with data we already have on our disc.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Excuse my question please, but how should we update it into the game? The datas have to be overwritten,
and AFAIK the Wii can't write down datas to a CD like a CD-writer does. It's something different with the Pokemongames for Gameboy and DS, on this casettes datas can simply be copied into the game but it's different with CDs. But another thing is, when a computer game gets installed on the PC, we can update it to. For example World of Warcraft, but Brawl doesn't get installed on the Wii's fixed disk, it just saves the data there. But if they would provide downloadable content it would be great!
With updates to a game disc, none of the data is written to the disk itself, what happens is the new data is stored to either the Wii flash drive or to the SD card, or both, packed with instructions for the Wii console to load the data before booting the game, and telling it where to insert the code. SSBB already has DLC in the form of custom stages and photos, which are small in comparison to what this is proposing, but you never know.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
No, like mentioned earlier, if there was DLC it would have been advertised. We won't even get stages. I am confident of this! What I might (with extremely low odds) see them doing is releasing another version of Brawl titles maybe Super Smash Bros Brawl DX. We might see something like 10 characters (not a joke lol) added. They would presumably have no SSE siginficance...

That is a long shot though. And, don't be a noob that says we already have downloadable stages. We don't. We just get fed a code that constructs a stage with data we already have on our disc.
Maybe Sakurai kept it a secret for one of three reasons

1. The Wii firmware didn't support it yet, so he didn't want to announce it and be wrong. The firmware if it doesn't support it, soon will because of the new DLC with GHIII.
2. Sakurai wanted to surprise his fans with one final big announcement after the game was released.
3. Iwata wanted to show the fans they are serious with Online, and wanted this game to be the forerunner for it, but kept it a secret because game companies tend to do so till the last second.

Top Bottom