• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West High School Smash - February 27th - SoCal

High School Smash - February 27th - SoCal
Posted by Karmatrix
Oneonta Congregational Church
Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:00 AM
Until: Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/Los_Angeles)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Los_Angeles

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Karmatrix

Smash Cadet
The tenth installment of High School Smash's "monthly" tournament series arrives on February 27th!

Featuring HIGH SCHOOLER ONLY Brackets!*
*Primary and Middle Schoolers welcome to compete
**Class of 2015 is NO LONGER able to compete.
Older smashers are welcome to come, but may not compete.

Pre-Registration will open a week prior to the event and will close 10pm the day before.

● 1515 Garfield Ave, South Pasadena, CA 91030
● Main Hall in the center of the campus

COST:
● $5 venue fee with pre-reg, $8 without pre-reg
● $5 entrance fee per event
● If you bring a full Melee setup (Cube/Wii, game and CRT), you will receive 3 free concession cards.
● If you bring a full Smash 4 setup (WiiU, game, GC adapter, and monitor), you have the choice of a waived venue fee OR 10 free concession cards.

FEATURED EVENTS:
● Smash 4 Wii U Doubles
● Smash 4 Wii U Singles
● Melee Doubles
● Melee Singles

STREAM:
http://twitch.tv/highschoolsmashlive

BRACKETS:
http://highschoolsmash.challonge.com/

SCHEDULE:
● 9:30 - Venue Opens, Check-in/Registration Begins
● 10:30 - Smash 4 Doubles Begins (Reg. ends 15m before)
● 12:30 - Smash 4 Singles Begins (Reg. ends 15m before)
● 1:30 - Melee Doubles Begins (Reg. ends 15m before)
● 3:30 - Melee Singles Begins (Reg. ends 15m before)
● 10:00 - Venue Closes

All times are subject to change.

FOOD:
● Concessions are offered at the venue
● IN-N-OUT, Pizza Hut, etc. in walking distance

PRIZES:
● Will be determined based on # of entrants
● 60-30-10 percent split

TOURNAMENT FORMAT:
● Smash 4 Doubles - Double Elimination Bracket
● Smash 4 Singles - Double Elimination Bracket Pools, Top 4 of Each Pool Make it Out into a Top 16 Double Elimination Bracket
● Melee Doubles - Double Elimination Bracket
● Melee Singles - Double Elimination Bracket Pools, Top 4 of Each Pool Make it Out into a Top 16 Double Elimination Bracket
● Best of 5 sets: Winner’s Semis, Loser's Quarters, Loser's Semis, Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, Grand Finals
● Brackets and Pools will be created based off of past performances and what schools' players attend

MELEE RULESET:
● 4 Stocks
● 8 Minute Time Limit
● Items OFF
● Friendly Fire ON (Doubles)

SMASH 4 WiiU RULESET:
● 2 Stocks (3 stocks for Doubles)
● 6 Minute Time Limit (8 minutes for Doubles)
● Items OFF
● Customs OFF
● Friendly Fire ON (Doubles)

STAGE STRIKING/SELECTION:
● Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until
there is one stage remaining.
● RPS to determine who strikes first.
● Strike stages 1-2-1 for both Melee and Smash 4
● After each game in a set, the winner can ban one stage (three stages in Smash 4), and the loser counterpicks one of the remaining stages.
● Players must switch characters before choosing the stage if they want to, with the winner switching first
● A player cannot pick a stage that they previously won on during the set, unless agreed to by both players

LEGAL STAGES

MELEE:
● Starters: Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams (Singles Only), Final Destination, Battlefield, Dream Land, Pokemon Stadium (Doubles Only)
● Counterpick: Pokemon Stadium. (Kongo Jungle 64 is BANNED in doubles.)

SMASH 4 Wii U:
● Starters: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Town & City, Dreamland
● Counterpicks: Duck Hunt, Lylat Cruise
Winner gets 1 ban
Stage strikes are 1-2-1

High School Smash Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/highschoolsmash

Any Questions? Feel free to leave a post below and we will do our best to get back to you ASAP.

roxas41990

Smash Rookie
Were not in the same school district although were pretty close...can we still enter?

Lemonfork

Smash Rookie
NNID
lewisttt
I'm interested... Can middle schoolers from other schools come and compete? (My little brother wants to come.) Also, do the middle schoolers participate in the same tournament as the high schoolers? Is there prizes?

Karmatrix

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the lack of reply, but I'll try to cover everything here.

1) Any smasher in high school or below is allowed to compete regardless of what district or school they are from.

2) Middle schoolers will still play with the high schoolers - no separate brackets.

3) This tournament typically happens once a month unless something comes up that conflicts with our scheduling.

4) I will post the pre-registration link tomorrow. If you register online you save $3 and it is easier for us to organize the tournament and predict how many people will show up.

All other relevant information should be in the details above.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Lemonfork

Smash Rookie
NNID
lewisttt
Sorry for asking so many questions, but does this happen every 27th, and is there a thread for every on or will it be posted here? (signup)

Karmatrix

Smash Cadet
A new thread will be posted every month. It is not always on the 27th but we do typically have one every month.

The start/end times are for the venue open/close times.

Look above for the specific starting times for each event and specifically the events you want to participate in.

No you don't need a Facebook to sign up.

Hope this helps.

Senor Mexicano

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokebub123
3DS FC
3909-7903-4188
I'm not OP, but I'll do my best in assisting both of you with questions from experience.

do my friends have to pay to watch me play?
No, your friends do not have to pay the venue fee if they're only watching you play. People only pay if they are entering a tournament.

Is there gonna be another one of these? ever?
Pretty sure these are held monthly. The last one was on April 2nd. Check the Facebook page for more information on when the event occurs,

Lemonfork

Smash Rookie
NNID
lewisttt
So do they just not post it on smash boards anymore? Cause you need a FB account to see the posts. (Which I do not have.)

Last edited:

Senor Mexicano

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokebub123
3DS FC
3909-7903-4188
So do they just not post it on smash boards anymore? Cause you need a FB account to see the posts. (Which I do not have.)
Unfortunately, it seems like they've forgotten about Smashboards. The event page for the tournament should show all the information without a FB account. The next one is May 14th.
https://www.facebook.com/events/511434312315075/

If for some reason you can't see the info. It's the same times and location as the one posted here. I will post the pre-reg link when it's made. (Usually one week before the event starts)

Last edited:

Senor Mexicano

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokebub123
3DS FC
3909-7903-4188
So you will be posting about it here?
Yeah, sure. I don't see why not. The pre-reg link is for sure viewable by everyone since it's a google doc.

fyi the links broken
Tried the link in an alternate browser, doesn't work. It's probably only view able by group members or people that were invited. My apologies. As I said, the location and times are all the same as in this thread. May 14th, 2016

Lemonfork

Smash Rookie
NNID
lewisttt
Yeah, I'll post updates here whenever there's a new event. Also, Pre-registration begins a week before the the event and ends May 13th at 10PM.
So will you post the registration link? !f so, thank you!
Also, the link is broken.

Last edited:

Senor Mexicano

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokebub123
3DS FC
3909-7903-4188
So will you post the registration link? !f so, thank you!
Also, the link is broken.
Apparently, the event's been moved to May 7th due to a different Melee Tournament occurring in the same place on May 14th without the Tournament Organizer realizing it. Pre-Registration should start in a few days thanks to this.

Unfortunately, it seems that the event page is linked to the group, thus only members can view it. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Lemonfork

Smash Rookie
NNID
lewisttt
Apparently, the event's been moved to May 7th due to a different Melee Tournament occurring in the same place on May 14th without the Tournament Organizer realizing it. Pre-Registration should start in a few days thanks to this.

Unfortunately, it seems that the event page is linked to the group, thus only members can view it. Sorry about that.
So where should we look for the registration link?

Top Bottom