• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hi! I'm new to melee and would like some tips :)

SSB Red

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4442-1171-8766
I just recently started playing melee and was looking for some tips to help me improve before my first local.
I play Marth and am trying to practice Falco as a secondary.
Any Tips for either of those two characters would be great!

St_Steady

Smash Rookie
Dude, I don't know why, but whenever I read about people getting into melee, most people start playing Marth and are then drawn to Falco after some period of time.

That happened to me, I play as both Marth and Falco, too.

Anyway just play, play, play as much as you can. practice your tech if you can't play anyone. Check out the boards here for character specific stuff, check out the character guides. Watch videos. Have fun.

I'm sorry I can't be too much help, I'm a noob myself, I've only been playing a couple months but I would say I'm definitely better than I was when I started.

I'm also waiting to attend a local, just waiting for the right time I guess. I'm glad to know I have a pretty poppin scene where I live.

Anyway just play as much as possible, have fun, and just check out the guides for Falco and Marth to get started.

You'll be better in no time.

Last edited:

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Hey there, welcome to Smashboards! In melee, to get good you need to put in a tremendous amount of time and effort. Watch videos, read guides (there's a WIP guide by this one really good falco called Saiblade, you should check it out :p), go to as many tournaments as you can. Learn all your basic tech, and play as much as you possibly can. There are also Marth and Falco skype groups, so if you'd like to be added to those, feel free to add me on skype at beywars. If you have any specific questions, feel free to post, or even just ask me personally.

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Melee is overrated I mean it's better to accommodate to it through brawl

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Drop your secondary and focus solely on your main.

Don't question it, just do it.

Last edited:

SSB Red

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4442-1171-8766
Haha, I'm trying to get more people to play smash at my college and such :)

SSB Red

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4442-1171-8766
Yeah by secondary i just mean more of a character i enjoy playing, im not going to try and practice falco for tournament until i start doing well with marth

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
I would recommend not having the same main for every game, mainly if you're the kind of player that takes a while to adjust to the gameplay of the different installments.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I'm also waiting to attend a local, just waiting for the right time I guess. I'm glad to know I have a pretty poppin scene where I live.
Anytime's a good time, man. You shouldn't "wait till you get better," because you'll probably get bopped either way, but going to as many locals as possible helps tremendously.

Unless of course some external factor like school/work prevents you from going. In that case, I know the feels.

Uber Duck

Smash Rookie
Dude, I don't know why, but whenever I read about people getting into melee, most people start playing Marth and are then drawn to Falco after some period of time.
That's really odd. That's exactly what happened to me.

My advice is to honestly just stick with one character. Being strong with one character is a lot better than being okay with several, because you can only play as one character at a time in a match. Attend tourneys, meet with other players, and have fun. I would get started on tech skill immediately, especially since you've got a spacie on your roster. Good luck!

kidocosmic

Smash Rookie
Dont get discouraged by a lose just keep your head up and try to focus on improving and not being sad about losing because when you start you do suck but if you try you can improve and who knows what will happen from there

ᴠanilla

Smash Rookie
Something that people don't always mention is that it can be very helpful to keep a written record of things. I'd suggest making some pages about your character first where you can put information like damage percentages on moves and stuff. You could also just write down things you notice or things you'd like to try in a match.

lethallooks

Smash Rookie
you want to make sure your not using unnecessary moves like shield rolling get good at wave dashing and don't just play one character at first make sure you experiment see who your good with and for some marth tips use his up tilt not his up smash and don't be one of the newbie players who just use marths forward tilts and forward smash attacks watch some GR smash videos

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Rolling is probably the best GTFO, reset to neutral option for any character. It's only easily punished in excess and when players bait rolls when they start spotting habits. A lot of good play revolves around beating rolls because it is a good option. Bad players use it awfully though because they don't know other OOS options. Rolling is also bottom tier aggressive option, which is why watching very, very noobie people roll a lot to move around kills me a little on the inside.

Top Bottom