• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hi, I'm new here

M4RI0K4R7

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm M4RI0K4R7. (my 10-or-something year old self thought 'Mario Kart' in leet-speak looked cool, and since I haven't bothered to think up of a better name I just rolled with it, I guess. I also tend to use the tag 1UP in Smash games)

I joined the site because I'm thinking of participating in some local tournaments, and it seems like this is the best place to find some. I follow competitive Smash to some degree and I've always found fighting games in general to be very interesting, since they usually have deep and fast-paced gameplay. However, I don't know a lot of people who play competitively, so I want to meet and play against people who share a similar interest in this game...Or get completely destroyed by someone way better than me, that works too. :p

I usually don't have a preferred Smash game (they're all good in my opinion), but competitively I'm focusing on Wii U and Melee (maybe also PM). In the former game I main Greninja and Kirby. I usually like to play as fast characters who can kind of toy around with their opponent, and Greninja is a very mobile character with a lot of tools to annoy opponents with. Kirby isn't as fast, but I feel he's better defensively since his attacks come out faster and some of them do a decent job at keeping opponents away, plus I can edge-guard with him easier with all those jumps and a decent dair.

In Melee I'm learning Sheik, because she's a fast character who seems to have a lot of combo potential (that I can actually execute to some degree). For as long as I've played Smash, I've also mained...Pichu. I, uh...had a 'Challenge Accepted' mentality growing up, so one day I thought, “Screw it! I'm going to find a way to make the worst Melee character viable!” It has gotten me more interested in the metagame since it forced me to really think about my character's moveset and options, but I'm probably not going to play him competitively. Although it actually feels like he's similar to Greninja, since he's decently agile and some of their moves feel oddly similar, so who knows?

I've rambled on for long enough but I do have one general question about tournaments, although I feel like it might be too odd to warrant its own topic so I'll just ask it here. Generally speaking, how safe are the environments? Like, if I were to find a tournament on here, how would I know or find out whether it's a trustworthy place? It might be a dumb question, but I just don't want to go to any random place I found on the internet without having some way to know that something bad is likely not going to happen there.

I'm not sure how often I'll post here aside from looking for occasional tournaments, but nonetheless I'd be glad to be a part of the community. :)

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
Welcome to smashboards! I see that you main Sheik, then I highly recommend to visit the sheik board in the melee section. It's safe to find tournaments here, don't worry. If you have any questions about Jigglypuff or smash as a whole then don't be afraid to PM me! :D

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Welcome to

Click here to find out if there's a scene in your area.

Check out Premium for added features and fun.

:starman:Click here for the Freemium Raffle.:starman:

Click here for the Forum Directory.

For online matches try one of the following links:
Check out the respective character boards for helpful tips.
Character guides can be found here.

Before you post please check out the Global Rules.

Keep up to date with the latest news here.
Light House is for general gaming discussions.
Check out the Pool Room to talk about Smash, life, sports, or whatever is on your mind.
Click here to socialize and have fun.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members. If you have site related questions, you can post them in this thread.

Props: Made by @HunterNinjaReaperPirate♤♠ @Trieste SP @ Cyn Cyn and @Hong

:starman: Name changes :starman: Bigger avatar and signature :starman:
:starman: Post backgrounds
:starman:
:starman: Enjoy Premium-exclusive forum and giveaways :starman:
:starman: Support the Smash community and sign up today! :starman:

M4RI0K4R7

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll check out the character boards for my mains.

Top Bottom