• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey, I'm E-DAWG... come check out my event!

King E-Dawg

Smash Rookie
What's up Smashboards? My name is Ian and I run an event in Albuquerque, New Mexico called THE ART OF FIGHTING. This event combines an art gallery show and sale, featuring original pieces inspired by fighting games, with a full fighting game tournament. You may have seen us last year on the front pages of Kotaku, Shoryuken, and EventHubs. What makes this event important is that it benefits two charities - March of Dimes and the Save Babies Through Screening Foundation - who advocate for children born with Congenital Heart Defects (CHD), the most common birth defect, occurring in 1 of every 100 babies born. I know firsthand how devastating CHDs are, as my son James died of an undetected CHD when he was only three months old. I founded THE ART OF FIGHTING to honor James and give other families dealing with CHDs a fighting chance.

Last year's show was very successful, bringing in over 50 original works of art, breaking records for New Mexico tournament participation and stream viewers, attracting sponsors such as Capcom, Sega, Brokentier, and iam8bit, and raising over $4000 for our charities. This year will be even bigger, with an exciting international artist pool, an expanded tournament schedule, special exhibitions and guest players, and a donation goal of $12,000!

So as you probably guessed... Smash has joined our lineup!!!

Our resident Smash expert has informed me that we will be running Project M. While last year was sort of our test run for the show, I'm thrilled to be bringing the Smash community into the fold for this year's tournament. With the passion and generosity this community is known for, I have no doubt that our $12,000 goal is within reach.

So what can you do to help? While more announcements are coming soon, for now, the best thing you can do is make some noise! It seems I can't post links here, but the whole thing kicks off Friday, September 26th at Metropolis Comic Art Gallery in Albuquerque with the gallery opening, and continues through Saturday and Sunday with our tournament. So check the event thread here for 9/26/2014 and like/follow/share us on Facebook and Twitter (look for "aofabq" or "#aofftk") for all the info. Let's spread the word and save some lives!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Hey there! I went ahead and gave the Facebook page a like (will be sharing the page soon). I really like the cause you represent and everything seems well organized.

You should consider possibly coming up with something to post in the Tournament Listings forum once you receive some more details since that's the hub for our members to check on what's going on in the competitive scene for Smash.

EDIT - I noticed you already took care of posting your tournament elsewhere, good :) Hope it turns out to be a big success!

Last edited:

King E-Dawg

Smash Rookie
Hey Hokori, thanks for the like! I think I posted in Tournament Listings... did I get it right? Anyway, it was actually Prog himself who was our Smash point of contact last year, and he suggested we get on Smashboards ASAP. (I'm not the most familiar with this community myself... would you believe I'm more of a Virtua Fighter player?? Now there's a niche scene...) I hope we represent the community well this year!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yup, it's in the right place. And you mentioned "more details coming soon", so I'm sure there will be a follow up on registration details, rules, etc (things found in some of the other threads there).

And of course, Prog made the right call. Smashboards is THE spot for Smash related discussion. I'm sure you guys will do a fine job, looking forward to hearing about its success :)

King E-Dawg

Smash Rookie
Yup, it's in the right place. And you mentioned "more details coming soon", so I'm sure there will be a follow up on registration details, rules, etc (things found in some of the other threads there).
Indeed, we'll be sure to keep everyone posted as soon we have the info... kind of in the pre-EVO lull now, so things should start to take shape after that.

King E-Dawg

Smash Rookie
Welcome to SmashBoards!
Thanks! FYI, we have finalized the "TBD Arc System Works Game;" BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma is officially in the lineup!

We are also working on getting some very cool, very unique prizes for top Smash finishers, so stay tuned!

Top Bottom