• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey guys, What's your general favored playstyle? and why?

What's your favored playstyle?

• Total voters

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I don't play wifi with anyone, so no one on here knows how i play and unless i've glimpsed at videos online. I don't know how you play, so i wanna know, how do you play and why? do you play campy with falco, or are you combo heavy? do you abuse bowser's armor points or do you play more defensively like in melee? which mind games do you like to play? obviously people can play a bit on both sides of the spectrum for their chosen character when needed, optimally both at any time, but I know we all have that preference, those tactics we like to use when playing our character, so what's yours, and why?

Since I'm the OP i'll start off, Being a T.Link main, I love to pester my opponents alot. Lots of bombs and arrows that lead to grabs, and tech chasing is one of my all time favorite things to do in PM period ("how long can I hold this advantage? where's he gonna go next?") so i like setting up for that when i play. T. Link's got some really good juggling potential and it just so happens to coincide with my pester-happy game plan.

"Wow Past link, you sound like you play like a real D***"

Maybe so, but it's sort of a side effect of playing a zoner, being in control of the match ultimately from a safe distance where I can figure out what the enemy's gonna do. It's a very great mental challenge I find exciting. "He blocked this, he dodged this, what can I throw/shoot next and where to get something to hit him, and if it hit's can I capitalize?" It's a game play style I enjoy thouroughly.

TL;DR I'm going camping in a trailer son, screw the tent.

looking forward to the answers, naturally don't give away your whole gameplan. The thread isn't about shooting yourself in the foot, I just wanna know what you generally enjoy best in a match.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Personally, It depends on my current mood and what music I am listening to. Sometimes I am that combo crazy sonic, sometimes I try to set up easy kills by going offstage and most other things. Also highly depends on which character I am since I main sonic but play snake a LOT. And they both have VERY different playstyles. :D

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Actually, as of recent I haven't been playing too well and I appear to have adapted to a new playstyle! I seem to like to make my opponent mess up for fail. Not the best tactic by far but it has been working recently. :D

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I play Marth/Sheik, so... a combination of 1, 4 and 7.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Hyper offensive when I learn the playstyle.

Offensive with defense if I've never played the player.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I play fox/Diddy, but I find excessive tech skill that isn't movement based to be useless, why shine pressure when I can grab you out of your shield, or shine>grab or just do Diddy things with command grabs and trips>tech chase grabs, so pretty much I'm a 4.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
As a mewtwo main, I usually rely on zoning and mindgames until I can throw them offstage to gimp them. Not afraid to camp when needed tho :D

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
My specific play style wasn't here, I see it as "malevolently pragmatic opportunism". Capitalize without compunction on ANY openings I see or make, and
take the stock and lead at the first chance, then win comprehensively.
Psychological warfare throughout is a given, get ready for a death glare that bothers me with it's effectiveness the entire set.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I listed myself as other, as I have a habit of changing my style during a match, usually upon losing the second stock (if I do).
However, I do have a playstyle that I may call my own, and it's most similar to "scare them with tech skill". The difference would be that I employ moonwalks out of DashDance often to land fast B-airs (C.Falcon) just after a dash-attack happy opponent, and that I have a habit of constantly spacing my SHFFL's to force opponents into rolls.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Right, do what works best and intimidates the most. That's the easiest(effectiveness-wise lol) way of winning completely.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I'm pretty Rushdown happy. So much so that when I do get pushed in a corner, I struggle to fight back. Mostly cause nobody I play with is aggressive and so I never get the chance to learn to fight against it. Quite the weakness.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I like a character who has a balance, characters who are extremely skewed towards a particular playstyle to have some horrible matchups. With a balanced character at least you've always got a chance.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I like my grabs. Keep getting them in my clutches, throw them and react to chain them again.

Spookyjunk

Smash Rookie
i play diddy and i can play both campy and aggressive but i enjoy the bananagans. Like dropping a banana mid combo as a speed-bump to the opponent's momentum. Defo demoralizing my opponent with bananas hahahahahahaha

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Only good option is first option! I find gimp-kills the most disgusting thing ever, build up percentages! I love playing an aggressive Sonic the Hedgehog with a heavy focus on air game, dem' axe kicks and lightning-speed dashgrabs!

Last edited:

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
while agressive play is still in the lead, i've gotta say i'm suprised by how many of you guys picked demoralizing and stealing momentum as a main playstyle. scary really ._.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
while agressive play is still in the lead, i've gotta say i'm suprised by how many of you guys picked demoralizing and stealing momentum as a main playstyle. scary really ._.
People who seem nice are never that 100% of the time; the phrase "Stepford smiler" comes to mind, at least to me.

Top Bottom