• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey guys I wanted to know something for my new computer

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
My parents are finally upgrading my computer and I want to know if this is at least decent for playing games like TF2 on my computer without having to put the graphic settings at the lowest to avoid lag on my computer

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?productId=74331#page

Is this good or something or what? And if putting the link is considered advertising then tell me so I can remove it and just write up the specs myself :urg:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That thing runs on Intel HD Graphics, so it's not gonna work well on TF2. Look for something that has a real video card.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
...Yes, but not really for the purposes of TF2. It won't help a ton if you go all the way up to a Core i7 and 16 GB of RAM, if your video card is the limiting factor then your video card is the limiting factor. Seriously, get something by either ATi or nVidia, because if you want to play 3D accelerated games then you need a dedicated card rather than integrated graphics bull****.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
...Yes, but not really for the purposes of TF2. It won't help a ton if you go all the way up to a Core i7 and 16 GB of RAM, if your video card is the limiting factor then your video card is the limiting factor. Seriously, get something by either ATi or nVidia, because if you want to play 3D accelerated games then you need a dedicated card rather than integrated graphics bull****.
So let's say I wanted to upgrade my computer and buy an ATi or an nVidia, how much money would it cost me to buy one that would run the game decently?

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I don't think you'd be able to do that since you're looking at a laptop here. I mean, laptops do come with dedicated gfx, but I think it'd be a pretty hard task to add a dedicated graphics card in a laptop.

...I think

M@v

Subarashii!
Ok help is here. I am the information technology major, a.k.a. knows a decent amount about computers :p

Seriously though, that laptop looks like its about a strong as the one I bought from dell a couple weeks ago. However, I don't plan to play any games on it. Its main purpose is going to be schoolwork and other things I need mobile computing for(Such as tio for tourneys). The one you have now isn't much weaker tbh. Here's a simple breakdown of what those stats mean:

RAM: Random access memory. Basically how data your computer can process at a given instant. In reality you don't need more than 4gb of ram unless your running multiples OS's on your machine at the same time via virtualization.(I'm sure your not doing that though, let alone even KNOW what I'm talking about:awesome:).

Processor: In simplest terms, the higher the Ghz, the faster the computer will be able to make calculations, a.k.a faster response times, and the ability to run more programs at once. There are other factors that can determine this too, such as the number of cores/hyperthreading/etc., but GHZ is the easiest to go by if your not a computer geek.

You want to make sure its a 64-bit OS, which almost all are now anyway.

Graphics cards: integrated graphics=nono for gaming. "64MB-1696MB shared graphics memory". <-this doesn't make sense at all. My high end grahics card which is half the size of a laptop is 1024mb. I looked into that more, and that graphic card built in, in reality, won't be able to process more than 128mb. Also it is simply using system RAM to use as video memory.
That was a lot of tech talk, but in basic terms the graphics that come with the laptop suck.

I play all my games on my computer tower I home built last month. Do you HAVE to get a laptop/prefer a laptop? Because if so, that makes our options limited, but there are still options. Whatever you do, you need a better video card like everyone said. See if there's options to upgrade the video card while your customizing your computer during ordering.

I would look at Dell XPS laptops for that purpose. But be warned; even more powerful laptops aren't ideal for gaming due to their small frame, and the tendency for laptops to overheat under heavy loads. My Dell XPS laptop lasted me 3 years under heavy gaming load before it died on me. After 2 years my computer would auto-shut down a lot mid game due to overheating. I could play Tf2 on medium with so-so frame rate.

TL:DR Desktop by far the best for games. Laptop gaming=expensive and will last shorter.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Wow thanks man I honestly know nothing about computers and I just want something that can run my games without needing to out down the graphic settings >_>

And I kinda do need a laptop because my dad will use it for work and things like that so he'll need to take it with him

And thanks for all the explanation on what all this jargon means I'm clueless as to what it is most of the time lol. I'll see if I can get myself a better one thanks

:phone:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Dell XPS is acceptable for the price, Alienware is acceptable because it's pretty, AVA Direct should work out well if you want something big, since they build on pretty large frames.

But ignoring brands, let's use your example of TF2. TF2 recommends
"DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card"
so we'll take it that we don't need anything gigantically powerful.
For future reference,
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964-7.html
this will give you a decent idea of how good a graphics card is. Just to be sure, we'll try to get a decently high tier card.

The Mobility HD5870 from ATI should probably work out, from which Newegg brings two results:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230021
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220821
So you're probably looking in the range of $850-$1000 for a suitable laptop that can play 3D accelerated games.

Top Bottom