• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hero ban

What should we do about banning Hero?

• Ban him NOW.

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Hero should never be banned.

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Ok let me rephrase that question: What sense does the Crit Mechanic have outside of beeing an hommage onto the series? Does it really improve the fun to play the hero? Because it certainly makes it more annoying to fight against the hero. If its serves no purpose and only annoys the people why should we keep it?
It doesn't matter what sense it makes or not. The devs won't remove it.

We're not talking about what should or shouldn't happen in an ideal reality. We're talking about what will happen in our reality.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Ok let me rephrase that question: What sense does the Crit Mechanic have outside of beeing an hommage onto the series? Does it really improve the fun to play the hero? Because it certainly makes it more annoying to fight against the hero. If its serves no purpose and only annoys the people why should we keep it?
I'd say this same logic could apply to many annoying moves or mechanics in general. Witch Time in Smash 4 or Smash 4 Cloud's Limit. Some could even say the same for Joker's Arsen. Mechanics that are hommages to their franchises but are some of the most annoying aspects of those characters and annoy some players to no end.

Not every mechanic is going to be universally loved, nor hated. I'm also going to go on the limb and say Hero's crit mechanic is the less oppressive offender of most any mechanic ever introduced into Smash and the majority of hate is pure salt, not any semblance of logic. Yeah, crits are annoying. But they are nothing that can be relied upon and the moves that actually CAN crit are so abysmal. His Smashes suck both in range, speed and recovery (meaning they are horrifically unsafe on both whiff and shield, even if spaced to the peak they could be).

I'm normally not one to use the term 'git gud' but it greatly applies in this case. Removing the crits wouldn't do anything other than just make Hero even less of a threat. Just let it be. The worst I'd want for him is to have the crit damage/knockback nerfed just a tiny bit. If I had my say at all on how the character should be adjusted is tweak crits, as mentioned but compensate by buffing his entire neutral kit by making moves faster and safer and adjust how quickly he gets MP back to help regulate the risk/reward in expending the MP (Or increase spell costs) as it feels like he gets a bit too much MP back when from his basic jab combo. Hero doesn't need a lot of 'tweaking', honestly. In his current state he's pretty non threatening outside of FFA's or possibly Team Battles. He just can't keep people off of him and has almost no out of shield options as it is. He's slow and has pretty bad air mobility to boot.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I'd say this same logic could apply to many annoying moves or mechanics in general. Witch Time in Smash 4 or Smash 4 Cloud's Limit. Some could even say the same for Joker's Arsen. Mechanics that are hommages to their franchises but are some of the most annoying aspects of those characters and annoy some players to no end.

Not every mechanic is going to be universally loved, nor hated. I'm also going to go on the limb and say Hero's crit mechanic is the less oppressive offender of most any mechanic ever introduced into Smash and the majority of hate is pure salt, not any semblance of logic. Yeah, crits are annoying. But they are nothing that can be relied upon and the moves that actually CAN crit are so abysmal. His Smashes suck both in range, speed and recovery (meaning they are horrifically unsafe on both whiff and shield, even if spaced to the peak they could be).

I'm normally not one to use the term 'git gud' but it greatly applies in this case. Removing the crits wouldn't do anything other than just make Hero even less of a threat. Just let it be. The worst I'd want for him is to have the crit damage/knockback nerfed just a tiny bit. If I had my say at all on how the character should be adjusted is tweak crits, as mentioned but compensate by buffing his entire neutral kit by making moves faster and safer and adjust how quickly he gets MP back to help regulate the risk/reward in expending the MP (Or increase spell costs) as it feels like he gets a bit too much MP back when from his basic jab combo. Hero doesn't need a lot of 'tweaking', honestly. In his current state he's pretty non threatening outside of FFA's or possibly Team Battles. He just can't keep people off of him and has almost no out of shield options as it is. He's slow and has pretty bad air mobility to boot.
I think I'd be more okay with the crit mechanic if it wasn't so extreme. Like you said, nerf the knockback a little (they could even increase the damage, idc) but it just doesn't feel fun when I lose to a crit F smash at low to mid percents.

NerFox

Smash Cadet
Kind of a bad example since Smash 4 Cloud’s and Bayo’s mechanics were outright broken. They were hated for a very good reason. And Joker’s Arsene... not as broken as those other 2 but still very very powerful.

Top Bottom