• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Here's a really fun topic. Where do you stand politically?

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I am more then curious, where do you all stand politically? I'm not trying to start a debate that will end with Ad hominen and head ripping. Rather, I want a sensible and calm discussion about politics and why you stand where you stand. Now I'm not going the so super in depth of where I stand. Since it's a wee bit controversial. Let's just say that I'm really not a leftist .

TuukkaTime

Smash Cadet
NNID
OmegaLesPaul
I am not sure this is the greatest topic, I think its just begging for arguments between otherwise friendly people which isn't awesome. :( I don't think just saying don't debate will help lol.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I'm neither. I hate politics. Of course, this is coming from a soon-to-be 17-year-old young adult, so...

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I have common sense unfortunately those people who share my thoughts do not run for office.

All joking aside, I lean towards the left. I find it odd that you want a discussion but are afraid to post your own thoughts to get a discussion going.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Politicians suck. I hate all of them and I think the only way we will ever rise from the idiocy that our government has become is to COMPLETELY balance out all in office.

Split women and men 50%/50%, make every race have an equal number of reps, and have a equivalent number of poor, mid, and rich. EVERYONE gets a voice. Rich old people ain't cutting it anymore.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
If politics was a square, I'd be standing in a circle.
In other words, I stand nowhere in politics. I just don't understand politics. Not one bit. It seems like a mature discussion to partake in, but you won't get very far if you don't have the slightest clue as to what the heck you're talking about.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I don't completely agree with any side, but my beliefs on what government should be structured like alligns much more with Republicans than with Democrats. Also, should this be in the Debate Hall?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
To put it simply, I'm a Progressive through and through.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Yay, my type of question.

Socially, I stand liberal. Pro marijuana, pro gay marriage, pro choice, the whole sha-bang. Not pro gun control though, multiple times has it demonstrated gun control zones make for more dangerous environments, over those where you can carry onsite.

The Iraq War Invasion, knowing what we now know, was a big mistake. Give or take whether or not you see it as revenge for the 9/11 attacks.

Fiscally, I'm half and half. I don't believe in government spending, or a "Nanny" state thereof. Detroit and Baltimore have been prime examples of where Democratic policies on a fiscal level, have failed the city and sent it (and its citizens) into bankruptcy.

Click Klack

Smash Cadet
Uhhhhhhhhhhh, Bacon.
lets all just be cool with each other and not argue and separate our selves when we can do more good together than apart.

D

Deleted member

I'm really not sure where I stand. I don't really like politics for the most part. My parents are hardcore conservatives.
I agree and disagree with issues on both sides. If that makes sense. So I guess I'm in the middle?

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Even though I'm pretty moderate when it comes to politics, I'm more liberal on social issues yet leaning conservative of financial issues.

I'm not really interested in the Presidential hopefuls for 2016. None of them look very promising.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I'm really not sure where I stand. I don't really like politics for the most part. My parents are hardcore conservatives.
I agree and disagree with issues on both sides. If that makes sense. So I guess I'm in the middle?
Me, too.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
I lean towards the left. Unlike most of you politics, gaming and sport are my main interests. :p.

Last edited:

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Uh...I'm sorry. I don't really care much about nor do I know a lot about politics. I think my parents vote for conservatives.

There's a lot I don't know much about thinking about it. Economics, popular music, technology, popular tv shows, history, cars, cooking, celebrities, the adult life...I really gotta explore the world. And this is coming from a 16 year old...

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I'm a liberal and I think if politicians made a lot less money we'd ahve a much better country right now.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Liberal means right-wing in Australia.

Democrats are in favor of government expansion, you're subscribing to the wrong party if you want less money flowing through bureaucracy.
Less money for government services and less money in politicians pockets is not the samething. Isn't that obvious?

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
Less money for government services and less money in politicians pockets is not the samething. Isn't that obvious?
It actually is the same thing in practice. We cannot control where taxes are ultimately distributed and corruption becomes increasingly rampant alongside a rise in public sector employment. The official figures are laughably inaccurate anyway considering all the "free" benefits attached to being a public servant. We also have no idea how much politicians secretly pocket behind our backs through bribes and whatnot. Something tells me they aren't going to get together to discuss cutting back on their own cushy lifestyles.

I wonder why the left is so adamant about expanding government services (justifications for taxation) despite historical failure upon failure. Yes, they will certainly do better next time! That's no lie.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
It actually is the same thing in practice. We cannot control where taxes are ultimately distributed and corruption becomes increasingly rampant alongside a rise in public sector employment. The official figures are laughably inaccurate anyway considering all the "free" benefits attached to being a public servant. We also have no idea how much politicians secretly pocket behind our backs through bribes and whatnot. Something tells me they aren't going to get together to discuss cutting back on their own cushy lifestyles.

I wonder why the left is so adamant about expanding government services (justifications for taxation) despite historical failure upon failure. Yes, they will certainly do better next time! That's no lie.
Dude my issue is with politicians 6 figure salary. Cut that in half(lets make it 55,000) and a lot more people will get into politics for the right reasons. We'd certainly have less dam lawyers in public office.

LionsBarrage458

Smash Rookie
Yay, my type of question.

Socially, I stand liberal. Pro marijuana, pro gay marriage, pro choice, the whole sha-bang. Not pro gun control though, multiple times has it demonstrated gun control zones make for more dangerous environments, over those where you can carry onsite.

The Iraq War Invasion, knowing what we now know, was a big mistake. Give or take whether or not you see it as revenge for the 9/11 attacks.

Fiscally, I'm half and half. I don't believe in government spending, or a "Nanny" state thereof. Detroit and Baltimore have been prime examples of where Democratic policies on a fiscal level, have failed the city and sent it (and its citizens) into bankruptcy.
Pretty much myself, couldn't have described it better.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Dude my issue is with politicians 6 figure salary. Cut that in half(lets make it 55,000) and a lot more people will get into politics for the right reasons. We'd certainly have less dam lawyers in public office.
Its not a 6-figure salary, more like 7-figure (or 8 if you're from the Clinton's or Bush's). Trump says he's self-funded, self funded my foot. He's got millionaire and billionaire backers.

Then they try to relate to the average American. Good luck on that one, Mr. Potter.

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Libertarian that leans right on fiscal responsibility and feel social issues should be deal with at a local or state level.

D

Deleted member

I don't really have much interest. But when push comes to shove, a liberal.

Aife

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty much forced to take a liberal side on things due to a social issue a lot of republicans don't push for. I like to see all sides as best I can, so it really saddens me when i can't even bother to look at the other due to my background...

But i want what i want, and no matter my angst whether its right or wrong over it I wanna fight for my rights. Sorry republicans.

...Although admittedly despite this, i think I have a natural liberal bias anyway. Even back in high school before my personal issues got in the way, I was very much liberal. I was a bit more ready to jump the gun based on feelings back then though, so its hard to say where I'd end up if I looked at the research.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Not a single Libertarian has stepped into this thread.

I'd probably put myself as Libertarian. I disagree with both major parties on certain issues and agree on others. My stances on immigration and most financial stuff tend to lean towards Republican, but as for social issues, I heavily slide to Democrat, but both of them end up noticeably stupid on certain issues simply because they staple so much to concrete ideas instead of looking at a wider scope. I'm not TOTALLY for the entire abolition of government like the extreme definition of a Libertarian is, but by god if it had to come to that, I wouldn't entirely be opposed. Is that sad?

Well, that's what I'd like to think of myself ideally. But realistically, I'm probably much more of a straight Democrat with a few issues I am against the majority of Democrats on. I'm pretty liberal, I dislike conservative views most of the time. But certain liberal topics I'll look at and say to myself "that seems... a little ridiculous...". But yeah.

Last edited:

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
Interesting question, but hard to give a complete and short answer. I am very interested in politics, but struggle to find any party that I would agree with on more than a couple of subjects. I wouldn't be able to speak in terms of US parties since I am not very familiar with US spectrum, but on the french spectrum, I am most definetly on the left side, but disagree on many issues with all the left side parties (just less than I disagree with the right side)

Being a scientist at heart, I tend to believe in scientific progress as a high priority, since it could help us solve many issues. Thus I am in favor of free high quality public education, and public research funding.

I also believe that to ensure that we can really get the best from the population, income redistribution is a must since otherwise, a lot of potentiel is wasted. I reject capitalism as I find it so inefficient as a whole (no sharing of information, etc).

Of course, that means I am willing to pay for it, thus I am in favour of high taxes for high income (I even think that a maximum income should be considered at some point)

I also tend to think that we should favour things that benefit the society's development as a whole, planning long-terms infrastructures and projects for example.

This is where I get most of my differences with the left-wing in France : I believe that we should invest in nuclear power at least until we figure out wether fusion reactor are doable/worth it. I also believe that GMO should be investigated, because potentially it could be a major breakthrough for mankind. I do not outright reject transhumanism either, hence why greens are not exactly my friends

Most of the time, I end up voting for one of the left-wing parties, usually the PCF (french communist party) because they are the ones that are the less nonsensical IMO. Often I find them to be right for the wrong reasons though

Shiida

Smash Apprentice
i'm definitely more liberal than conservative but i don't really care for bernie sanders as much as i used to

even though d trump is an idiot he'd be the most beneficial to my family so i'd like trump to win before sanders
+ as bad as it sounds i'm bored of the typical presidents we always get

one thing i can say for sure is no clintons please

as for current major issues i don't oppose involvement in syria, i do think there should be limits on refugee intake, and i'm not pro-life. i don't care about immigration and deportation though. i want gun control laws and as for weed i don't want that to become legal and i guess that's pretty much it for the US.

i don't identify with any party though because i don't agree on everything.

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
Progressive, through and through. I just like being nice to people. :3

Top Bottom