• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with WD OoS

Naut

Smash Rookie
Not only am I having a lot of trouble trying to condition myself to use L to shield instead of R (I wavedash with R), but when I try to wavedash OoS I roll all the time. Does anyone have any tips for this?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Try to slow down, you're doing it too fast. Though, you can do it with a single button.

Last edited:

Naut

Smash Rookie
Try to slow down, you're doing it too fast. Though, you can do it with a single button.
I know I can do it with a single button, but I've heard from everyone that it's difficult on the same tier as shorthopping with the control-stick consistently, so I've been trying to change the button I shield with. I'll try to slow down, but I fear I'll just end up triangle jumping a lot. I don't know why this tech in particular is so much more difficult for me.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I know I can do it with a single button, but I've heard from everyone that it's difficult on the same tier as shorthopping with the control-stick consistently, so I've been trying to change the button I shield with. I'll try to slow down, but I fear I'll just end up triangle jumping a lot. I don't know why this tech in particular is so much more difficult for me.
Everyone hits a tech they can't do, grind it out and you'll get it.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
It's more important that you learn to do the tech in a proper manner that's comfortable for you and your hands. Execution, or more specifically input discipline in this case, comes from repeated practice over time, but it's important that you settle on a consistent way to do it early on in your practice so it can set into your muscle memory more easily. A tip I have for single button is that you don't have to fully let off the shoulder every time you do the WD. If you're doing a full press, just click off as soon as you press jump and then click it in again for the WD.

Everyone has their own little quirks in their hands. For example, I do everything with the L button. As a result, jumping out of shield while shielding with R is awkward for me and usually makes me full hop because another finger on the same hand is engaged, while with L I jump with one hand and shield/air dodge with the other. It's just the way I learned it, so it works for me. I honestly think using one shoulder for everything is much harder to train when using R, since I've always related my left hand with "movement" and my right hand with "actions."

Wafflesaurus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wafflesaurus
You are rolling because you are moving the stick before the jump actually starts instead of during the jumpsquat animation. You can get away with doing that when you are standing or dashing etc since there's not such a big drawback from it but if you are shielding, it can cause you to roll. The correct way would be to jump, move the stick during the jumpsquat and when it's over, airdodge. You could also move the stick at the same time you airdodge, whatever you prefer, just make sure you don't actually move the stick before you jump.
Honestly, wd oos has always been pretty easy for me and I do it with just one trigger. A lot of people say you should not press the trigger completely when doing it with one trigger but I do, I just barely release it (enough to be able to do the digital click again) during jumpsquat and click it again as soon as it's over. Maybe this method can help you get better at it.
If you still feel like you need both triggers to do it then just keep at it until you can get it. Practice everyday until you can do it (just don't do it for like hours straight, take time in between or practice other things). Visualize the hand movement you need to do in order to do it and don't be too hard on yourself if you can't do it. You'll get it eventually.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
I just barely release it (enough to be able to do the digital click again) during jumpsquat and click it again as soon as it's over.
This here is the key for one trigger. Well said.

Sometimes I feel like there's not a comprehensive guide or resource out there when it comes to input intricacies. Maybe some of us should get together and work on one.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
As has been said, everybody has their own little quirks. You probably are hitting the control stick before you enter jumpsquat, so that's something you may just want to grind out. In terms of my quirk, I can't WD with the R button because of how I hit the X button whenWDing (even though I use X to jump). Everybody's a little bit different, figure out what works for you.

Yung Clap

Smash Cadet
The easiest way I learned how to WD OoS:

Shield w/ L > Input jump > Input control stick in the angle you want to WD > Input R

The key is to make sure you input jump BEFORE you input the angle you want to WD. If you do your control stick input first then you will roll.

Try practicing WDing by inputting jump THEN inputting the direction on your control stick instead of inputting them at the same time as you might usually do when you regularly WD. Once you got that down, just add the shield part at the beginning.

Top Bottom