• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Uair edgehop

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Ok, I need some help with edge-hopped Uairs. Most of the time I Uair, but don't land on stage, and have to UpB to get back to stage. I've pulled it off a couple times in training, but I don't know if I can do it well in matches. Any tips?

ZoSo

Smash Champion
The key is to lose as little height as possible before using your second jump. I usually just kind of ease the control stick down ever so slightly so as to drop the ledge without fast-falling (important, in case you hadn't guessed). You could use back, but I find that sometimes messes me up since I end up DI'ing away from the edge when I jump, which only further complicates things. I was going somewhere with this, but I forget where and I hope this post will give you the information you wanted.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
I actually use the C-stick to do this. That way i don't have to worry about moving the control stick from down to left to up so quickly. The problem with this is that the Uair might come out late.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Ahh yes, ZoSo probably gave the best advice... >.< No thanks to eveyone else, meh.

psicicle

Smash Ace
I'm also having trouble and I'm experimenting with different configurations and the best one so far is:

C-stick down a little

control stick up (to jump)

C-stick up, whicle using the control syick to DI.

All of this happens in a split second, and I've practiced for a couple of days and it's getting slightly more and more consistent.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I have experienced the desire to do it and have taken it into being able to do it.for me its timing but not too much so. I find it easier for me to drop off the ledge and jump by tapping the analog stick down and then hitting the Y button at full power, no short hop. Then you hit the C-stick up at the last second. before you get to the edge as far as angling I really haven't noticed much but I think I angle it toward the edge and up. I hope it helps. I'm currently trying the Fair though I think its nigh impossible but I thought that about the U-air. (^.^)

psicicle

Smash Ace
also as an alternative you could use control stick down,

jump button

control stick up

A button

DI with control stick towards the stage.

I've tried this also and am getting similar consistency, and the other way makes me go off the edge into a dair making me SD too often.

Fair is impossible (I'm pretty sure)

dair can get on the stage but no hitbox will actually come out

I don't know about nair or bair.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
lots of ways to do this but i think that c-stick down > control stick up > c-stick up works the best. thats what i do anyway.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Ok, Alll your suggestions wer great. Here's another: Would I need to l-cancel the Uair, or not l-cancel it.

psicicle

Smash Ace
well I guess you will probably want to. But you'd probably want to work on that after you have it consistently already.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I know this is probably not the best thing to say but I think that you can stand to not worry about L-canceling this move. The move pretty much cancels at half animation when I do it.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Yeah, what I really want most is the 'spike' part of it, or atleast sending my oponents backwards.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
You just do it.
People like this ruin smashboards, and are just plain idiots that think they are funny....
:ohwell: feel bad for them..

On topic, try to jump right after you press down. The reason why you are falling is cause you are jumping to late, which causes you to use your up-b.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
No he's smart. Those people are post ******. All they want is more posts. Thanks for help anyways guys.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
No he's smart. Those people are post ******. All they want is more posts. Thanks for help anyways guys.
You have to watch your back around here, cause there just kids going through their emotional times that can get a little mean...
lol

ZoSo

Smash Champion
No he's smart.
If you're looking to REDRAGON as an example of intellectual authority, well... I don't know what to tell you.

I typically try not to be so blunt in my posts, but what the "post whores" are telling you isn't necessarily false or even unhelpful. There really isn't any trick to executing this technique other than just being fast.

psicicle

Smash Ace
Okay, I found the best method for doing it consistently, I have about 90% accuracy upon just figuring it out.

Basically I was missing the fact that the most important direction to DI was towards the stage. Not diagonal- up towards it, I mean control stick horizontal DI. When I figured this out, it was evident that I'd have to use the c-stick to uair. So here it goes:

On the left hand you will want to press down and then directly towards the stage as fast as possible.

With the right hand you have to press a jump button right after the left hand presses down. Then as fast as you can, flick the C-stick upwards.

This is far more consistent than any other way that I was doing it before.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
You're ********.
QFT

I help plenty of people on Smashboards. This topic is what's ********. You can't TEACH someone how to ledgehop uair, you have to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. There's no point in telling them HOW to, as it should be obvious.

People like this ruin smashboards, and are just plain idiots that think they are funny....
ololol YAH DUDE I THINK I R FUNNY, try and quote me on that.

People like you ruin smashboards, and are just plain idiots. (c wut i did thar lawlz)

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Instead of using X or Y you could try using the analog stick. Flip it down then up as fast as you can and use either the c-stick or A to Uair. I find it easier to just press X immediately after I press down, seeing as it uses 2 fingers.

psicicle

Smash Ace
yeah but the problem with that method is that it is hard to give enough sideways DI, which is the most important in this move. Also, the analog stick has to be moved very quickly and precisely in that method.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
It just takes practice, swiftly go down->X->slide to the left/right while Uairing. Using only the analog stick is harder, but better if you are not use to using X or Y

I found it very simple, and even just a few minutes practicing my friend got it down. It depends on what method of jumping you are best with too.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I think people who have been on the boards for less than a year don't have right to talk about the boards are being ruined. And I think you also have no room to comment on people trying to get their post count up.

Frankly I think he's right, the problem is the topic-starter isn't doing it fast enough. Doesn't matter what we say because it won't make him do it faster. He needs to just work on it, practice, and eventually he'll be able to do it.

So quit talking so condescending towards people.

UnChienAndalousa

Smash Apprentice
I'm also having trouble with this technique. With the c-stick down, control stick up, c-stick up, I kill myself by accidentally doing a dair a lot.

psicicle

Smash Ace
you don't actually have to be as fast as I thought, you have a decent window to do it in. I think that you are fast enough if you can already edgehop onto the stage.

to above poster, go a page back and see the way I do it.

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
all i do is I press the control stick down and whichever way the ledge is...and then immediately press jump and roll the control stick left and a bit up...and just cstick up.

also as an alternative you could use control stick down,
Fair is impossible (I'm pretty sure)
I've actually done this once...but it didn't connect as in I hit the ground to fast for it to get the hit off...I just think you start the fair late.

ss118

Smash Master
the bigger question is how to do a ledgehopped >b
I can't remember who, but I saw some1 do that in a vid, and if it hits the opponent, you just grab the edge afterwards.

psicicle

Smash Ace
I think that it may be possible to do a ledgehopped nair because ganon gets shorter vertically like the dair and uair.

And yeah, I guess if you do the fair late then it is possible, likewise with the other arials though I haven't tried them

mood4food77

Smash Hero
he can ledgehop nair, uair, fair and dair, he cannot ledgehop bair

what i mean is that he cannot do a ledgehop bair and land on the stage

when performing a ledgehop fair or dair, he can land on the stage but the attack does not come out

ledgehop nair will hit the opponent but only the first strike, it's insanely hard to pull off so it's not worth using

ledgehop uair is the easiest to pull off and it can combo, so it's worth using

fair is the hardest the ledgehop successfully with, i've only done it once but that one time still means it is possible

so in reality, only edgehop uair, unless you can also ledgehop nair consistantly which would be good for mindgames

Top Bottom