• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with the Shino Stall

xxdavis97

Smash Rookie
NNID
OutcastCarrot97
Okay so I picked up Sheik probably a few weeks ago now for melee. Over the past few days I've been learning how to shino stall and through a fair amount of practice I can do it mostly every time(except I occasionally needle or transform to my doom). The problem lies in my invincibility frames, when I do it in practice I can be hit out of it and when I perform the ultimate Brinstar test I fail so I'm wondering what I could be doing wrong to not get full invincibility frames. How quickly do you have to up b after fast falling to remain invincible?

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
The trick to keeping your Intangibility is to let go of the Ledge right after you grab onto it. I dont remember the frame data, but just try and do it as quick as possible after Sheik hangs completely vertical after grabbing on.
The window is not that tight.
You can also try using Away for letting go of the Ledge btw. You dont need to FF to keep your Intangibility.

xxdavis97

Smash Rookie
NNID
OutcastCarrot97
The trick to keeping your Intangibility is to let go of the Ledge right after you grab onto it. I dont remember the frame data, but just try and do it as quick as possible after Sheik hangs completely vertical after grabbing on.
The window is not that tight.
You can also try using Away for letting go of the Ledge btw. You dont need to FF to keep your Intangibility.
Oh okay that makes sense, I always hesitate due to the fact I'm nervous of needling by accident so I stutter and probably lose my intangibility, thanks!

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
The best way to do it is Down to let go of ledge > immpediate up b >Hold down until after RIGHT after the poof, at this time you should be letting go so that you dont poof lower than the ledge because of fast falling past it. its a little hard to get the hang of but its definitely the easiest and most efficient method imo

Last edited:

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
Notice as soon as your hand hits the end, a glowing ball of energy the size of Sheik's head sparks & then erupts. The time from spark->erupt is same as @ Scroll Scroll mentioned about the moment Sheik's legs swing down & being to hang vertically. That moment & the end of that little erupting ball of light can indicate your ledge grab animation is over, & free to drop again. As far as that step goes (hardest part imo), time your ledge-drop to those 2 things.

There's no "even" rhythm, so those extra frames before u can let go of ledge again might be throwing you off, they still do for me sometimes.

Practice @ the Hyrule "Temple" in middle of stage, so you don't have to die every time. Fox's ship stage moves slightly so would've be as optimal a change. Lol me & my friends call that stage the bounce house, cuz u stay alive longer in a FFA from all the wall techs.

1 more tip since I don't get to post often; forget about being able to do it 20x in a row. Use it only if enemy is playing real close to the edge. If you're using it to bait them closer, mix in a few ledge-drop->fast fall->double-jump-> 1/2 of up-B to regrab ledge. It's almost invincible as well, & can surely bait them in for when u shino-stall right after. But even more important for saving ur stocks, might be your ability to ledge-dash (letting go of ledge asap->jump->waveland on to stage) RIGHT after ledge-grab animation is over.

/****

xxdavis97

Smash Rookie
NNID
OutcastCarrot97
Notice as soon as your hand hits the end, a glowing ball of energy the size of Sheik's head sparks & then erupts. The time from spark->erupt is same as @ Scroll Scroll mentioned about the moment Sheik's legs swing down & being to hang vertically. That moment & the end of that little erupting ball of light can indicate your ledge grab animation is over, & free to drop again. As far as that step goes (hardest part imo), time your ledge-drop to those 2 things.

There's no "even" rhythm, so those extra frames before u can let go of ledge again might be throwing you off, they still do for me sometimes.

Practice @ the Hyrule "Temple" in middle of stage, so you don't have to die every time. Fox's ship stage moves slightly so would've be as optimal a change. Lol me & my friends call that stage the bounce house, cuz u stay alive longer in a FFA from all the wall techs.

1 more tip since I don't get to post often; forget about being able to do it 20x in a row. Use it only if enemy is playing real close to the edge. If you're using it to bait them closer, mix in a few ledge-drop->fast fall->double-jump-> 1/2 of up-B to regrab ledge. It's almost invincible as well, & can surely bait them in for when u shino-stall right after. But even more important for saving ur stocks, might be your ability to ledge-dash (letting go of ledge asap->jump->waveland on to stage) RIGHT after ledge-grab animation is over.

/****
Thanks for the tips I'll work on that, and the 20x things wasn't meant for in game but I'd like to be capable of doing it 20x that way I'm completely comfortable doing it twice in game

tauKhan

Smash Lord
The upb is invincible from frame 18 onwards, so you need to start it between frames 10-21 after grabbing the ledge to stay fully invincible.

Top Bottom