• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with the Marth matchup?

Saaab

Smash Rookie
I know this has been posted before, but I can't seem to find it.

I feel like I get comboed to hell and back versus Marth, and I can't seem to get within range without getting swatted out.

I try to bait him out but against more patient players, I can't seem to do that. Any tips?

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
1. Dont get grabbed
2. Dont miss a tech
3. Dont get caught on a platform
4. Understand and apply combo DI for his Fthrow/Dthrow and Utilt

Overall its a difficult matchup. I find a lot of trouble with him as a character as well but you have to play extremely patient but capitalize hard when you get an open while at the same time, know your limits with Roy. Really though, play incredibly safe and don't rush your approach or get impatient. It sucks cause in early percent in neutral it can be dangerous to approach with Dtilt or Fair>Dtilt if he's crouch cancelling or anticipates the Fair with a shieldgrab. The best thing that i've found stagewise is to pick mid-larger stages like PS2 or FD so you have more room to work with and out grab-game him in early percents. I've also found that battlefield, warioware, and yoshi's are stages to stick away from cause he can juggle and catch you with Utilts too easily. My personal stage list preference against Marth is typically PS2, FD, FoD, GHZ, and then smashville isnt too bad either. Warioware and battlefield are debatable on this though because you also can do really well on either of those stages.

Unfortunately this MU in my experience comes down to who gets the first grab or who gets the early lead so you really have to be tight when it comes to clutching out Dtilts and grabs early on. Also another tip is to really ingrain DI'ing away when he tries to go for Fthrow chaingrabs or Fthrow>Fsmash. You have a great tech chase and combo game with a more consistant punish than him, I know Sethlon has said that the Roy v Marth MU is 50-50.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
I may not be all that versed in this MU, but one thing I did notice was that DI'ing his fthrow away and down protects you from fsmash setups. Platforms can be your best friend and your worst enemy. Your game will revolve around getting that Marth on a platform and making him pay dearly for being up there. The same goes for him though, so watch out if he gets you on a platform. If he begins to utilt you, you can shield ---> shield drop ---> dair to catch him off-guard. You can also wait out the cd of his utilt and jump away in between them. If you choose the latter option, be weary if he follows you in the air. This could mean he is aiming for an uair set up, which you can't really do much about given its range. My major suggestion to you would be to learn fluid movement to keep you out of bad situations and learn stage control. If a Marth has got you at the edge of a stage, your options are severely limited. Center-stage is where you want to be most of the time. I hope this helps!

Top Bottom