• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with the Marth match up.

Professional_Bird

Smash Rookie
NNID
ParkerAtriumEDM
Sup guys, I know this match up is pretty close (I think Marth wins it only like 60:40 if I'm not mistaken) but I'm having a lot of trouble with it. What are the best ways to approach a good Marth player? What are the best ways to get past his very persistent ledge guarding techniques? What have you guys seen/experienced and what advice would you be able to give me? Thanks!

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Read my post in this thread:

http://smashboards.com/threads/any-tips-for-marth-matchup.395365/

Here's another post.

Seriously, don't let him catch you off guard. Stay mobile. Your best bet at beating his approaches is with bair. Shield DI his approaches.

If his fair is.......
Perfectly spaced, advancing (early).... uair oos.
Perfectly spaced, advancing (late).... roll away or grab.
Perfectly spaced, not advancing.... roll away.

Semi-spaced, advancing.... shield DI away and grab.
Semi-spaced, not advancing.... shield DI in and grab.

Not spaced, not advancing...... grab.
Not spaced, advancing...... forward roll.

Grab him and out him offstage, that's the whole matchup. It's zoning. Grabs help A LOT. Think tomahawks and shield DI; get grabs. Dthrow + uair/bair put him in the air, above you, keep him there, sharking him with uairs. Edgeguarding marth is easy but you have to have it down.
Gotta love Marth threads.

Professional_Bird

Smash Rookie
NNID
ParkerAtriumEDM

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Good luck man! If you're in a pinch, side-b is a decent mixup when he approaches in neutral. Then uair or bair him for free.

Last edited:
Top Bottom