• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help With the Captain Falcon Matchup

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Sorry if this is already a thread, but I seem to struggle a bit against falcon. I feel like a lot of things i do with fox don't work too well against falcon(up tilt, lasers, etc.)also falcon can combo us pretty hard and kill us under 100 easily, not to mention he's heavy, which means he will have rage. The main things i do in the matchup are gain positional advantage(get him offstage or above me) and go ham from there but i feel like there is a lot i am missing. Is it a bad matchup for us? what else is there to do? feel free to post anything here .

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
I've been struggling vs Falcon as Fox recently too. I can't beat my local Falcon player at all lmao!!!

The advice Jtails gave me vs Falcon is to pay attention to what he is doing at neutral. Falcon is linear more or less, his main options being dash grab and spacing moves like bair and maybe a dash attack every now and again? You can kind of use that to dictate how you move at neutral, doing your best to avoid grab and bair specifically.

At low %'s the Utilt string doesn't work like vs the other fast fallers. I tend to do Utilt -> grab because people tend to block and look for a block punish. I believe he can mash jab out of that though, so utilt -> block -> grab might be better. Utilt strings I start going for at around 20%, and the combo game on Falcon is very strong.

The strongest thing in this match up that you absolutely need to do is hit him out of his up b. If you can time D-Smash to hit his hands on the way up he more or less will die for it, and if you can time u-tilt -> bair he will more or less die for that too. It's super important to do this, because Fox typically wont risk going off stage to gimp Falcon and that's kinda a big deal vs a character who is "bad" because he's easy to edge guard.

Anyways good luck, I'm still trying to figure this match up out too so I don't have much more to contribute v-v

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
fox's jab is faster than falcon's, frame 2 vs frame 3. use this

like sage says utilt wont work back to back at low percents, falcon will be able to jab you while you're recovering from utilt ending frames. dash attack, grabs, and bair are what you should be utilizing at low percents instead of utilt. lasers are not as useful either. if you do get a dash attack at low percents, you must jab afterwards. it's the safest option. dash attack (6%) and jab (10-14% generally) net enough percent where utilt can be used afterwards. falcon will be looking for dthrow to nair while fox will be looking for stray hits to put falcon in utilt combo percents. this is pretty much the low percent battle in a nutshell and i do think this is a key factor in who maintains the momentum from the start.

outside of that there's not much to say. you either play run away or you play with your movement. and in this matchup, you're gonna want to use your movement. falcon is stupid good at punishing whiffs, you're not gonna want to be a sitting duck and dont fish for the kill. the kill can come to you with a throw or bair offstage and an edgeguard.

KidSchadow

Smash Rookie
would shine spiking have any value considering falcons mediocre recovery?

Top Bottom