• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with that pesky monkey (Diddy Kong)

kasa

Smash Rookie
I always have trouble whenever playing a Diddy player, of which there seems to be many.

I've tried to:

laser camp/SHDL +shine, but Diddy is just too fast to take any significant dmg

chain grab, but Diddy isn't chain grab-able past 20% or so...and i get punished with a fair

approach with dair, nair and bair but Diddy's Up smash has greater priority

edge guard with dair, but this rarely hits a smart player

edge guard with bair but diddy's fspecial and up special recovery combo is RIDICULOUS!

kill with uair but this, again, rarely hits smart players

kill with fsmash but the start up lag and cool down leaves me open for a dodge + ftilt

It feels like diddy has falco beat in almost every respect. His ground moves deal MORE damage than falco's, he has more moves that have killing potential (ftilt argh!), he's fast enough to dodge lasers, his air moves deal high dmg, knock back and have great priority, he has bananas to contain falco's speed and a great recovery to boot!

What can I do? I need some tips that will work on smart and capable diddy players.

Squidster

Smash Ace
DLX cancel.
Camp. Its quite effective... You're right that he can dodge a lot but it not like he can punish you for it...
Steal his bananas!

Laser from the ground without SHDL will cause him to have to approach from the air. He is rather easy to punish with bair from there, especially if he doesn't have time to turn around and he tries to approach with fair (which is a terrible approach for diddy)

Go read up on diddy. Often Diddie's approach tends to be one of 3 or 4 things:

1) Banana's.
a) To counter t3h banana's, try to catch them, keep your distance, dont get punished when trying to approach. Play the game slowly in this case. This is diddy's version of camping

2) Dash attack -> something
a) Diddy's dash attack has literally NO lag... its like he can DLX cancel without having to DLX cancel. If you're blocking his dash attack know it will proibably be followed by a smash. DONT let go of shield if this is the case.

b) This is a job for reflector. As he approaches for his dash, make him trip, punish with something like a dlx cancel or just a hyphen usmash.

3) Forward b special kung fu kick extraordinaire
a) This kick is really only a good approach because of its priority... It doesn't really combo into anything and does only about 10% dmg. its also really reasy to shield grab, or spot dodge -> punish

4) Short hop double bair (or just fair)
a) In this case you probably want to use lasers to stop him... once he lands you can approach with a dash attack. You can also try to stop him with reflector in the air

b) Another strategy is to bair him.

In conclusion you generally don't want to rush diddy... Camping him is effective because he has no shields of any sort, no REAL projectiles... (popgun? ha...) His banana's are his "camping" strategy and they kind of fail when youve got a reflector and a better projectile.
All his approaches are counterable. Just play slowly.

Top Bottom