• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with spiking off of ledge with Fox and Falco.

NitroSSBM

The coolest Falco of all time
Disclaimer: Possible noob question incoming!

I see many pro smashers that successfully spike their opponent in midair off of a ledge, and then recover. When I attempt this, even if I hit them with the Fox/Falco dair, I cannot recover and get back onto the ledge. I have tried shining, and also using my up-B and side-B, but it seems as though there is 'lag' as soon as I use the dair off the ledge. Help?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Fox dair does not spike, so that shouldn't work ever, but don't dair too low, you'll die. Dair at a good height, if you're low, shine jump to up b or side b if close enough.

NitroSSBM

Fox dair does not spike, so that shouldn't work ever, but don't dair too low, you'll die. Dair at a good height, if you're low, shine jump to up b or side b if close enough.
I wasn't 100% sure on the correct terminology for what I was trying to explain, but you helped me nevertheless. Impressed to see that my thread was answered so quickly! Thanks!

20YY SS | Saiblade

3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I wasn't 100% sure on the correct terminology for what I was trying to explain, but you helped me nevertheless. Impressed to see that my thread was answered so quickly! Thanks!
No problem, I'm just on here way too much, so I answer threads within the first 30 minutes way too often lol.

NitroSSBM

No problem, I'm just on here way too much, so I answer threads within the first 30 minutes way too often lol.
After playing for a few months, I finally decided to make a Smashboards account. Just trying to get all of my Melee questions answered. Best decision ever lol.

Gilbz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrGilbz
Save your double jump if possible. You can survive after dairing with Falco. Fox's spike is his shine so you shouldn't have a problem recovering with that. Also, if you fast fall it you have to have good reactions so that you can recover more easily.

20YY SS | Saiblade

3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
After playing for a few months, I finally decided to make a Smashboards account. Just trying to get all of my Melee questions answered. Best decision ever lol.
Definitely a huge step in the right direction. If you ever have any questions, I'll gladly answer them.

The funny thing is that Fox's Dair is a true spike going by the community standards. There was something about being able to meteor cancel moves which sent you at an angle less than some value from the vertical. However, moves like Marth's Dair and Fox's Dair or Falco's Dair all send people at an angle of 290 which cannot be meteor canceled at all.

Fox's Dair is simply weight based knockback rather than being able to scale largely with percent as Falco or Marth. Its funny to think you could get killed by a fox Dair spike.

20YY SS | Saiblade

3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Yeah I see you on like every thread lol.
Haha, yeah, I'm all over the place.

Thanks man! You seem like a cool guy, and I believe we are both the same age lol
No problem, lol. I'm 14, so possibly.

The funny thing is that Fox's Dair is a true spike going by the community standards. There was something about being able to meteor cancel moves which sent you at an angle less than some value from the vertical. However, moves like Marth's Dair and Fox's Dair or Falco's Dair all send people at an angle of 290 which cannot be meteor canceled at all.

Fox's Dair is simply weight based knockback rather than being able to scale largely with percent as Falco or Marth. Its funny to think you could get killed by a fox Dair spike.
It is, just a very, very weak one.

Xatu

Smash Rookie
If you're spiking with Falco, you almost never want to spike offstage while falling, or you'll die. The solution to this is running of the ledge, then doing a rising Dair back onto the stage. The other common way to spike with Falco is to stand on the ledge and do the Dair on the ground as they're reaching the ledge.

NitroSSBM

If you're spiking with Falco, you almost never want to spike offstage while falling, or you'll die. The solution to this is running of the ledge, then doing a rising Dair back onto the stage. The other common way to spike with Falco is to stand on the ledge and do the Dair on the ground as they're reaching the ledge.
Alright, I'll try that out. Thanks again to everybody who responded to this thread, you guys have all been really helpful so far. Thanks!

eviljoeybonkers

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eviljoeybonkers
3DS FC
4897-6248-0097
Unfortunately, Fox's down air doesn't spike. It's a great combo move though.

To answer your question, Fox should easily recover due to his numerous options, such as Fire Fox or Fox Illusion.

As for Falco, don't use the spike too low, because his recovery is rather short.

CrackaaJack

Smash Cadet
Disclaimer: Possible noob question incoming!

I see many pro smashers that successfully spike their opponent in midair off of a ledge, and then recover. When I attempt this, even if I hit them with the Fox/Falco dair, I cannot recover and get back onto the ledge. I have tried shining, and also using my up-B and side-B, but it seems as though there is 'lag' as soon as I use the dair off the ledge. Help?
I usually jump into down air with Falco. Shine>jump>back air is also a good option with Falco depending on percentages. With Fox just aim yourself towards them>down b> jump straight out and if you accidentally used your 2nd jump you should be able to make it back with Up B. Practice makes progress (;

Top Bottom