• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with SHDL

joel17

Smash Rookie
I'm currently practicing using c-stick for the short hop. I'm probably getting 4/10 right now. Also practicing them reverse double lasers and I'm finding the c stick to be pretty good for that.

Do most pro fox players use c stick for SHDLs or do they short hop with y/x? When I use y I probably get 2/10 and it's really 3 times the effort.

Not sure if I should be practicing with y or c-stick.

thanks

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
Most people use Y. I guess the best way is the way that you can do most comfortably and consistently, so whichever feels the best haha

Starline

Smash Cadet
By c-stick do you literally mean the c-stick, or the analog stick? They are different things. The c-stick is the one on the right that does smashes if you tap it in multiplayer mode.

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice
If you use Y, you have to flick your thumb down to B really fast. I know of a few Foxs that use this method.

The method I use, which is super easy with little effort, is to short hop with your analog stick. Then just press B twice.
It takes practice to short hop with your analog stick, but once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to do.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I wrote this to help a member (who actually posted here what a surprise!):

Woops, I should have said you could use either X or Y, w.e you prefer, I do everything with X except multishining with fox.

I can do shdl like m2k, I think he does it with X as well, im not sure, sometimes it looks like he flicks the control stick up.

Here take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxKYoBTWcAE

Also, I would not look for an specific way for moving your thumb like this and that, instead focus on what best works for YOU and only YOU, and then just be patient and practice. I suggest you learn the motion without playing the game to build finger speed, once you have repeated the motion many times, your body will adapt and your thumb will get faster.

Something I like to do is repeat a certain motion for about 50 to 100 times and try to go faster and faster, for instance the first 20 or so I would do it slowly then I'll increase the speed for the next 20, when I'm about to finish the 100 repetitions I'll do it as fast as I can even if I loose a bit of control here and there. This tells your body (after some time) that it needs to get FASTER. After doing this I'll play the game and see if I had gotten any better, most of the times I can notice some progress but after a week or so the difference is huge.

Been doing this recently to perfect some techniques like moonwalking, and I've been very successfully, took me a couple of days. But you have to be consistent.
This worked like magic for me.
for a week, every free moment I'd get, I would grab my controller and drill out as many SHDL's as I could.
And when it came to the weekend, I was fast enough to SHDL consistently!! (with X!!!)

Thanks Oskurito! didn't think I'd be able to get this trick without switching to Y, or something janky.
From this thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-in-the-damn-world-can-i-double-laser-from-short-hop.355389/

With that a side, if it becomes as easy for you to do as SHL then is very useful. The damage you can put in a matter of seconds to someone who doesn't want to approach is ridiculous, is like a big punish for not wanting to approach. Works pretty good against marth, peach, ganon and pretty much any character who is a bit tall and can't avoid the two lasers when standing.

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I claw by using Y and I get it 6/10 but I still need practice.
you can practice exactly the same way, except with using your index and middle finger rather than with your thumb because you claw, and of course replace X for Y

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I've always done it with X.
What I noticed l was doing wrong was that l waited for Fox to be airborne before l mashed X. So then all l had to do was mash B ASAP after X.

Jonte

Smash Cadet
I have a weird way of doing it... But it's working really well actually.

I slide my thumb from X to B in one motion, (hitting A in the process) but if you do it fast enough the A input does not register and you just end up doing a shot instead. I have gotten to the point that I can do SHDL without effort and no strain at all using this method.

Anyone else doing this?

Smokey Huntz

Smash Apprentice
Do whatevers most comfy for you. it doesn't matter as long as you can do it solidly although if I'm to be obejective then Y is the best way to do it cuz it's closest to the B button

Voyce

Smash Rookie
I have a weird way of doing it... But it's working really well actually.

I slide my thumb from X to B in one motion, (hitting A in the process) but if you do it fast enough the A input does not register and you just end up doing a shot instead. I have gotten to the point that I can do SHDL without effort and no strain at all using this method.

Anyone else doing this?
I actually just tried doing this to multishine and SHDL and it works really really well, needed to thank you. I use X so i've really been trying to look for a way to do these 2.

my ways were very inconsistent and much harder to do so thank you.

Top Bottom