• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help with pikachu

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
we havent really gone over pika in the match ups thread, so here goes...

i play a good pikachu on wifi and sometimes i dont know what to do

the thunderbolts push me back on to the edge while im trying to get a naner out, and they sometimes hit me out of my up b and gimp me :(
they are also really quick, so you cant sheild to glidetoss without getting hit

the quick attack canceling is really annoying cuz you get stunned by it and pika gets a free hit out of it

also, how should i punish the thunder spamming? it seems like when i think its safe to d smash, i also get hit or they roll away
should i punish with something else? :confused:

anyways, if you could give me a few tips that could help it would be really appreciated

Bellioes

Smash Lord
If by thunderbolts you mean his NeutralB, then I dont have much to say. I guess you can either full jump over them or powersheild them. Also, try SHADing through them to a glide toss if your close enough. If you hit, well its up to you to use one of Diddys many follow-ups. But most likely, the Pika will sheild or spotdodge. In either case, its a free grab for you.

All I can say about the QAC is try to predict it. If hes always QACing back and forth run up to him and try to hit him. If he goes straight at you with multiple QACs in a row... well throw a banana or punish him for being so predictable.

With Thunder spamming, just hit them with a banana first. Then you wont have to worry about Pika pulling out the Thunder before you get there to Dsmash or whatever you try to do. You just need sortve good reactions. Once you see him go into the startup animation, throw the banana at him so that you hit before thunder comes out and you get a free hit. But its not that hard since it has such a large startup time.

Hope this helped ^_^

BoRn

Smash Apprentice
For pikas neub i found the best way to stop them is jab. It cancels each other out. Just the first jab, im not sure about the second. Im sure other moves may work as well but jab is the fastest to me.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Nice tip BoRn, i didn't knew that :/
both thunder and jolt spamming are easy to stop if you know how to handle it : dodgedropping (airdodge+A+no direction on the joystick) pwns thunders, and since most pikas full hop their jolt, jumping over them and tossing the bananas is a really good way to punish. You can FH ground toss too :p
I still need a reliable way to predict/punish/whatever pika's qac...

saberhof

Smash Master
Pikachu :O...well..when he uses his thunder, just charge your up-b , it will fly around and hopefully it will hit him =D...and after that its naner town =D

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Pikachu :O...well..when he uses his thunder, just charge your up-b , it will fly around and hopefully it will hit him =D...and after that its naner town =D
summed up the whole match really. rest is up to the better mindgames of teh players. barrel cancel the thundershock/jolts too. not all of them tho only when hes being retardly predictable and ur close enough to barrel his face

BoRn

Smash Apprentice
Barrel Cancels are fun but i wouldnt start using them until pika's percent is over 135. Im not sure if barrels can decay but they might just like every other move. I find they kill best around there. Funny as hell when they hit though, barrels catch people off guard and have theyre own mind games. . If u jab and barrel cancel enough they will probly stop using neutral b altogether lol.

I used to hate gettin spammed by pika, now i just walk through it like the terminator! >: )

DFEAR

Smash Hero
If u jab and barrel cancel enough they will probly stop using neutral b altogether lol.

)
thats what exactly were accomplishing by doing so. cuz seriously if they didnt stop spammin projectiles theyd rack a ****load of dmg from that alone xD.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I completely forgot about Barrel Canceling! Thats an awesome idea DFEAR. I never thought of using that against Pikachus but now that I think about it, it can be really effective since his NeutralB travels along the ground so slowly.
Hehe, Cant wait to try this out :)

Player-1

Smash Legend
I remember an old video of a Diddy Kong demonstrating how useful Diddy's barrel cancel was against Pikachu. The Diddy user had just died while the Pikachu had 100+ damage, Pikachu was at one side of FD and Diddy was on the other and the Pikachu just spammed thunder jolt until the Diddy got to him. The Diddy kept barrel canceling until he got near the Pikachu. He ended up getting 100+ damage while the Pikachu was hit 0 times with the barrels.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yeah it may not be very reliable but its not one of those things you do many times. Maybe at most twice a match. Otherwise, youll start to get predictable. You may miss 95% of the time but when you hit with that 5% for a kill, its definitely worth it. It WILL NOT happen every match unless you spam it like an idiot but youll probably loose a stock or take some heavy damage before then so its not worth it to try. Just use it sparingly and wisely, then reap the results :)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
dunno what u guys are talking about but my barrels hit 2/5 times i ever use them o-o? i use it when my opponent attacks me or throws projectiles at me close by. cuz i notice that my barrel usually hits to the left of me lol so run at them ,pivot barrel xDt hen profit. but trust me on this as p1 has clearly pointd out its not as reliable but if u do land that barrel it will make the pickachu think twice about jolting u. just mindgames man :\ its all diddy.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well I don't think it should be used when your opponent is at a far distance. It's easy to shield it IF it gets near you, but when you're near him you can grab him since they can't shield and dodge at the same time, but when far away it's easy to avoid or shield IF it hits you and you can't do anything to punish it really and you just take the extra damage

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yea thats the main problem i see in using barrel canceling against projectiles. only situations i find barrel canceling reliable against is:

glide tosses
vertical upb recoveries
weak tilts/projectiles at close range (force them into shielding like u said and grab =P)
sh on ur banana that has been taken (dnt find this useful cuase why wouldnt u just pick it up instead :\)

otherwise yea barrel canceling is like meh :\

BoRn

Smash Apprentice
My tip was most useful gtfo ppls SCRAM!

My favorite barrel cancel is running up to a banana and up b at the last second to barrel release. 4 or 5 barrels out at once almost makes me feel bad for the guy lol. Plus with dfears odds 2/5, they better not ever touch my banana.

Great tips guys

Top Bottom