• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help With Palutena’s “Guard Points”?

NeverKillAgain

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I’m sure everyone here knows that Palutena’s Dash Attack and Back Air have Partial Invincibility on certain frames. Because there is no simple term for this that I know of, and since I play MH4U, I will be calling this invincibility Guard Points.

For those of you who care: In MH4U, there is a weapon called the Charge Blade which is basically a sword with a giant shield that can switch to a giant axe. In different parts of certain transformations between the two forms, the weapon’s shield is shown,and the shield can auto-block attacks. Similar to how Palutena’s invincibity on her shield beats everything, so do Guard Points. That is why I am calling this Guard Points.
Example(NOT MY VIDEO): https://youtu.be/O7RP9ujGoQg

Just a quick question here...

So I was watching the video “One 0 to Death with Every Smash 4 Character”(https://youtu.be/4sK0LmhXzI0) and at the Palutena part(6:38) the Palutena player repeatedly used Guard Points to beat out Diddy’s moves. I noticed that sometimes, when the attacks hit, there would be a little blue ring sometimes that would come out from the shield about a second after the impact. I didn’t see it 100% of the time, though, so I became curious. Does this blue ring mean anything? If so, I would really appreciate an answer. Even if it doesn’t, please respond so I can quit clogging up space with this thread :^ )

Have a good day!

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Well, I'm not sure which blue ring you're referring to, so I'll go through them all.
If you mean the one at 6:42 half a second after the dash attack, that indicates that Super Speed is able to be used again.
If you mean the one at 6:46 that appears just above Palu on the second bair, that shows 2 moves just clanked, but thanks to Palutena's shield gimmick her attack won out over Diddy's fair as opposed to trading hits. Here's an image of the ring

Other than those 2, the only other rings are visual effects of Palu's dash attack and bair, as they have a flash that emits from the shield when the move is used.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
If you mean the one at 6:46 that appears just above Palu on the second bair, that shows 2 moves just clanked, but thanks to Palutena's shield gimmick her attack won out over Diddy's fair as opposed to trading hits. Here's an image of the ring
Minor nitpick, aerials can't clank with most hitboxes. The same graphic's used for hitting an invincible character - apart from Palutena bair/dash attack and Bowser usmash, you'll see it when you hit someone who just respawned too, as an easy example. So what's actually happening is Diddy's fair hitting an invincible Palutena, creating the clank graphic but not actually clanking, then Palu bopping him back.

Top Bottom