• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Organizing Tournament? Really quick

Atalaya

Smash Rookie
Me and some friends are locally hosting a tournament in our area, and up to day we count with sponsorships, a good locale, pricing, and all that. My only concern is with logistics right now, so far here's what we think:

Tournament Cap: 96 or 128 Players

Format: Double Elimination in 12 pools of 8, or 16 pools of 8 (depending on entrants)

Sets: 2 out of 3

What i thought was narrowing the first 96 down to 32, My thing is, I don't know how many people to pass from each pool up to the final 32.

What I want to know is how to manage time best, for the tournament. I'd like everyhing to flow as smoothly as possible, if we start at 10AM, we want to possibly be done by 6-7pm. I've seen various formulas and ideas, but I'd like someone to try and help me with my specific situation. I've calculated by Round Robin, and assuming each set takes about 18 mins, it would take 90 minutes, (Hour and a half) to run each pool (8 players) As i am running 4 pools at a time, i would need to repeat the process two more times, for a total of 12 pools already run. What I want to know is how long it would take me if i ran the entire tournament by DOUBLE ELIMINATION, from the start. with the following situation

SITUATION 1:

96 participants
12 pools of 8
16 set ups
(Potentially running 4 pools at once, if one pool just rotates between only those 4 setups assigned)

Winners final: 3 out of 5
Losers final: 3 out of 5
GRAND FINAL: 3 out of 5

Any help is greatly appreciated, if you've got other suggestions on how to run it, please advise!

Atalaya

Smash Rookie
Sounds like you got it under control. Good luck though hope you have fun!
umm my question was how long it would take me, so i can properly set up pool schedules.

I've decided to actually make it 16 pools of 6, passing the top 2 from each pool, to end with a remaining 34.

96 players
18 setups (3 setups per pool)
16 pools of 6
(Running 6 pools at a time) By Round Robin-Pools

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
quote="Atalaya, post: 19764809, member: 316456"]umm my question was how long it would take me, so i can properly set up pool schedules.

I've decided to actually make it 16 pools of 6, passing the top 2 from each pool, to end with a remaining 34.

96 players
18 setups (3 setups per pool)
16 pools of 6nt
(Running 6 pools at a time) By Round Robin-Pools[/quote]

At my local tourney we do double elimination and have about 7-8 setups we also get around 40-30 people and it takes us 4 hours at least to finish, hope those numbers help in some way sorry if they don't

Top Bottom