• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Ness?

Uffe

Smash Hero
This might be the wrong spot to ask for help about Ness, since Super Smash Bros. Ultimate isn't currently out yet. That being said, here are a number of things you should learn. I have Tap Jump off, because it makes the short hops into any aerials easier.

SH - Short Hop
FH - Full Hop
FF - Fast Fall

PK Fire Jump: FH > PKF > any option
Dair cancel: SH > FF > dair
Grab > d-throw > fair > fair
Grab > d-throw > fair > uair
Grab > d-throw > fair > uair

For those who DI upward:
Grab > d-throw > uair
Grab > d-throw > nair

Space your short hop fairs
Uair > grab > d-throw > fair/uair
Uair > u-tilt > u-tilt > PKT2 (This works sometimes)
Uair > uair
Uair > bair

Keep in mind that you need to space Ness' uair. It's got a big hitbox, so if you're using this and your opponent blocks and grabs you, then you didn't space it properly. If you use it and get pushed back when they shield, then you did it correctly. Except you want to hit your opponent and not their shield. Either way, you should be safe, unless your opponent has a tether grab.

Learn to control PK Thunder as well. Learn to properly aim PK Thunder 2. Learn to wallbounce. Learn to use PK Thunder counter clock-wise into PK Thunder 2 as well. This slightly delays your PKT2 launch, so it could mess up your opponents attempt to 2-frame you at the ledge, and avoid anyone landing on your PK Thunder to gimp you. Speaking of all this PK Thunder shenanigans, learn to use PK Thunder near the ledge when you're off stage.

Ness' nair can lead into jab locks, and this is all percentage based. Depending on your opponent, some characters can fall into a jab lock at about 30%, some around 40%. I think it's all weight dependent. It's best to practice this on a real person, because a CPU in Training Mode will just take the jabs and f-smash.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I don't play on the 3DS anymore. My controls on the 3DS are:

L: Grab
R: Shield
Y: Special
X: Jump
B: Attack
A: Jump
Tap Jump: Off

I tried to replicate the set-up as close to the GameCube's set-up, but the letters of the buttons are placed differently. Go to Battlefield with Ness, and go underneath the left platform or the right platform. If you're jumping onto the platform after you jump, you're doing a full hop. If Ness' head is only popping up through the platform, then you're performing a short hop. After you short hop, do a fast fall. This should make Ness' short hops easier to perform. At least it feels that way to me. Could just be the muscle memory due to constant practice. But once you feel comfortable doing that. then try using his down aerial after a short hop > fast fall.

Also, if you don't know how to wallbounce yet, go to Dr. Wiley's stage since it has vertical walls, unlike Battlefield or Final Destination. Try to wallbounce on the right side of the stage first, since Ness' wallbounce on the left side sometimes sends him into a free fall animation. Sakurai or whoever never fixed this issue for Ness. He can still wallbounce on the left side of the stage, but sometimes it doesn't work.

Last edited:

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Learn to wallbounce. Learn to use PK Thunder counter clock-wise into PK Thunder 2 as well. This slightly delays your PKT2 launch, so it could mess up your opponents attempt to 2-frame you at the ledge, and avoid anyone landing on your PK Thunder to gimp you. Speaking of all this PK Thunder shenanigans, learn to use PK Thunder near the ledge when you're off stage.
What does wallbouncing do with Ness?

Also, what do you mean by using PKT counter-clockwise into PKT2? For instance, if I'm offstage on the right and recovering towards the left, I'd make the PKT initially go left, around the "long way" and hit Ness from the other side to get him to go left?

Thanks!

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman

Also, what do you mean by using PKT counter-clockwise into PKT2? For instance, if I'm offstage on the right and recovering towards the left, I'd make the PKT initially go left, around the "long way" and hit Ness from the other side to get him to go left?

Thanks!
Not sure about the counter-clockwise part, but the "wall bounce" refers to this mechanic:

Basically, if you hit a wall directly enough so that you bounce off rather than slide up it, you can use a second PK Thunder before he enters free fall. So if you're too far down to recover back up all the way, for example, but you're on a stage that extends downwards and off the screen, then you can aim for the wall instead for a little extra height, and then PK Thunder again to make it the rest of the way. It definitely ends up being helpful once you get the hang of it!

(Also, I loved Brawl in the Family! Cool to see you around the site! :) )

Last edited:

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Whoa, I had no idea! That's a neat trick, especially since I've been KO'd more than a few times from bouncing off stage walls. Thanks for the heads up, and for being a fan!

Uffe

Smash Hero

Thanks!
Yes, that's what I mean. Here's a MS Paint visual.

You can still recover normally, but sometimes doing it like shown in the image can save you. It's just really awkward to do because it doesn't go in a natural 360°.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
PK Fire and PK Thunder are wonderful for safely racking up damage.

Top Bottom