• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with my Ike guide....

Kilik 64

Smash Rookie
A GUIDE TO USING IKE IN SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL
By Kilik 64

PURPOSE
I am making this guide for two reasons. Which I will now state. So read them...

1) I love using Ike. For those of you who know me, you know that this is mostly because I suck epically with EVERY other character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. To be honest, it's kinda pathetic.
2) A fellow member on the Brawl forum on Neoseeker tried to make an Ike guide, and it... well, it was crap. So, as my favorite character, I decided to do him some justice.

INTRODUCTION

Ike is a character from the Fire Emblem series. He is the main lord (the guy who must attend and survive every level) in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, as well as Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (FE9 and FE10). He is the leader of the Greil Mercenaries, and wields the golden, two handed sword Ragnell. Ragnell is not seen in above pic because that's not his Brawl artwork. That's not his Brawl artwork because I like the above pic better. He's much more bad *** in the above pic....

PROS AND CONS
Ike's main upside is his insane KO ability, which is arguably the best in the game. Many of his attacks come with very high knockback ability, which leads to him killing at much lower percentages than most. This trait attracts many newbies to him, which leads to many people judging him as "broken". He also he two recovery moves, some pretty nifty aerials, and two strong specials that also come with super armor (you take damage, but instead of moving, you continue what you were doing when you were hit).

Of course, nobody is without drawbacks. For starters, Ike is slow. Not only in running, but in attacking. If you charge your enemy like a mad dog, you will be continuously caught wide open due to the lag of his attacks. Also, he slides quite a bit when he takes damage on the ground and when blocking attacks. This is mostly annoying, but can be a serious issue near ledges. It is not that difficult to slide off from blocking an attack, then accidentally do an attack yourself while falling. By the time you are able to use your recovery move, you will have fallen too far too reach the ledge. Finally, the same knockback power that people love him also hurts him. It is difficult to chain attacks with him because he will either knock the opponent away, or take to long to finish one move and begin the next.

MOVESET
Neutral A: 3-Hit Combo (4%, 5%, 7%)
This 3-hit combo consists of a punch, a knee, and finally a sword slash. This is a definite for any Ike player. It's one of his fastest and most reliable moves, dealing 16% total and decent knockback. This will be one of your main damage dealers.

Dash A: Sword Rush (7-8%)
When Ike dashes and attacks, he takes an extra step forward, then quickly swings his sword up to his eye level. This is good move to use to close short distances with quickly and attack. However, you should try to avoid running long distances before using this, as it makes it rather obvious what you're about to do.

Forward Tilt A: Cross Divide (15%)
Ike swings his sword horizontally in a pretty wide arc. With the hefty knockback that this comes with, it will usually get some use as well. Good kill move, but be warned that it leaves you open afterwards if you miss, so don't overuse it.

Down Tilt A: On Yur Grounds, Cuttin Yur Feet (14%)
While Ike is bending down, he swings his sword at the opponent's feet. This technique isn't really something you see with Ike players, and for good reason. It's slow to activate, and leaves you wide open. However, this move can hit people holding on to the edge, so I suppose that's nice if you're fighting one of those people that likes to take the cliff-side a lot.

Up Tilt A: Rising Ragnell (12% sword, 9% handle)
With this move, Ike does a short jump into the air while raising Ragnell up with it pointing sideways. Decent strength and knockback, with speed to boot. Defenitely should be used by our laggy little Ike.

Forward Smash A: Giga Blade (22-30%)
This is Ike's strongest attack by far, as he brings his sword over his head, and slams it to the ground with great strength and unholy knockback power. This is the reason people complain about Ike so much. However, it's got quite a bit of preparation time, as well as vulnerable time afterwards. While it is an almost guaranteed kill move, it needs to be used sparingly. Miss, and your enemy will make sure you regret it.

Up Smash A: Crescent Sword (17-23%)
With this, Ike swings his sword in an unnaturally large arc, starting from in front to behind him. This move, which also has good knockback, should be saved for when you get your enemy in a corner or edge. That leaves them with the options of rolling and hoping that you miss, or jumping and hoping that they get away in time. Also, it helps if you do this with our back to them.

Down Smash A: Double Cutter (13-18% front, 16-22% back)
Ike bends down and does two slashes; one in front and one behind. This move is punishment for those people who like to roll a lot, as they tend to get hit either way. What's also nice is that it's not that laggy compared to his other moves, so some Ike players use it as a regular attack. I don't, simply because enemies can hit me if they sidestep the first attack while I'm stuck doing the second.

B Neutral: Eruption (10-37%)
With this, Ike stabs his sword downward and releases a giant pillar of fire forth. Now, this is move has some very beneficial points. The first of which is Super Armor. When you release the B button, you cannot be knocked away or stunned while you are attacking. You still take damage from it, but you just continue as you were. Next, the range. It's got a pretty big boom, so jumping over it is kinda tough. finally, some good knockback (as you probably guessed). Add that all together, and you have a great aerial defense technique. The enemy is already in the air, so they need less damage to send them flying than normal. It's hard dodge in the air, and even harder to punish. Finally, even if the hit you, they still take the blow because of super armor. You might not wanna use it against grounded enemies, though. The situation usually doesn't go so well. Also, don't bother charging it for more damage. It takes way too long to charge for significantly more damage, and only leaves you vulnerable.

Down B: Counter (Attack x1.2)
Ike uses this move by taking a defensive stance, and striking away any opponent who hit him while he is glowing. Now, you will usually hear two opinions about Ike's Counter. 1)It's great, use it a lot. 2)It sucks, never use it. The correct answer is neither. Ike's Counter does more damage than Marth's, but doesn't activate immediately like his does. This means that instead of using it to ward off incoming attacks like Marth, you have to anticipate when and where the attack is coming and time the Counter very well. This can be helpful against slower characters whose moves take longer to prepare (like another Ike), but less helpful against the faster characters (Toon Link, Marth). The amount of opportunities you get to successfully use this move depends on the player and character, but you shouldn't try more than a few times a match. The exception to this rule is Meta Knight, whom this move should never be used against.

Up B: Aether (2-23%)
Ike's trademark technique and first recovery move. He throws his sword up into the air, catches it, spins a few times, then drives back down to the ground. This move actually works better as an attack than as a recovery, due to the final part of Aether. With most recoveries, you go upwards, then fall back down at the character's normal fall speed. When trying to get back to the ledge, you can upB than fall to it. With Aether, you have to reach the ledge with the spin. If you don't, you will plummet to your death at very high speeds. It's also possible to reach the ledge during the drive down, but it's not fun to be in that position.

Also, Aether is a multi hit technique, so your opponent needs to receive every hit to do full damage. It's possible to do as little as 2% with it, but the average is about 17. You tend to do more or less based the specific character. For instance, Bowser tends to take about 15, while Wolf tends to get the whole thing. By the way, did I mention the super armor? Yes, Ike has two moves with super armor in them, and this is the second one. It activates inbetween throwing the sword up and jumping up into the air after it.

Side B: Quick Draw (8-17%)
If there's one technique that every Ike player uses, it's Quick Draw. This baby is easily his most useful move. It's got great horizontal movement, making it his second recovery. You travel very fast while using it, making it good transportation around the stage. Finally, if you do not attack at the end of the move, then you suffer no lag. This allows you to easily dash up to an opponent and start another move.

This move will take possibly the most practice to master. You need to be able to judge precisely how much charge will take you how far. This way, you can quickly move up to an opponent and use one of your faster attacks (or away from if things are getting rough).

Z, Forward: Frontal Kick (6% throw, 3% extra attack)
After grabbing the opponent, Ike does a very fast kick to knock them forward. They don't go far, but but it can start off a few combos.

Z, Backwards: Reverse Kick (6% throw, 3% extra attack)
After grabbing the opponent, Ike brings the enemy behind him and boots them away. Nice for getting people off the edge, but you can't really chain off of this.

Z, Up: Uppercut(6% throw, 3% extra attack)
After grabbing the opponent, Ike plants his sword in the ground give them a good one right in the jaw. This one sends them upwards the most, but doesn't send them up perfectly straight. Works better to chain aerials off of this than ground moves.

Z, Down: Knee to the Face (6% throw, 3% extra attack)
After grabbing the opponent, Ike throws the enemy on the ground and knees them, sending them popping back upwards. They don't go as high as with the upthrow, but they go upwards in a straight line, making it a good chain for ground attacks.

A Neutral [Mid-Air]: Blade Arc (9%)
Ike starts on his side, and brings the sword around him in an arc pattern. This moves works well against enemies returning to the stages, as well as those who like to aim low. Not used as often some of his other aerials, but used nonetheless. If you happen to be in the air with the enemy trying to knock you higher, this'll work too. It also starts off a nice combo which I will explain later.

Up A [Mid-Air]: Helicopter (14%)
Ike holds is sword above his head and spins it once in a full circle. This one of my favorite methods of stopping attacks from the air. Simply jump a little off to the side and open fire. With the range of this attack, you can safely hit most attackers without fear of harm. Don't bother with this on grounded enemies, because it will just miss and leave you open.

Down A [Mid-Air]: Ragnell Spike (16%)
Like the name of the moves states, this is Ike's spike attack (meaning that it launches the enemy downwards from the air). Is this helpful? Yes. Should this be a frequently used move? Not really. This move really leaves you open both before and after attacking. Also, unless you use the move while you are ascending in the air, you will fly downwards. While this isn't uncommon for spike attacks, the lag of Ike's attack makes it very difficult to recover from the fall, which kinda kills this move being used for edgeguarding. Also, don't use this on grounded enemies.

Back A [Mid-Air]: Reverse Slash (14%)
This is one Ike's best moves. First off, it's freaking fast. Not just for Ike, but compared to all the characters. Next, it's strong, which is what you'd kinda expect from him. Finally, there's no lag with this sucker. This will be used more often against more skilled players, as well against the faster characters in Brawl. While it may not be as strong as fsmash or sideA, you may come to find this a better kill move than either of them.

Forward A [Mid-Air]: Hero Sword (13%)
This works similar to Ike's fsmash, but with less power and lag. He swings the sword downwards with quite a bit of range. This makes a good attack both for the air and against grounded enemies. Although the bair may be faster and stronger, it requires you to turn your back to the opponent, and doesn't have nearly as much vertical range as this move does. The two moves tend to be cycled between depending on the situation, although bair makes a better kill move.

Final Smash: Great Aether (69%)
With this move, Ike swings his sword at the opponent with some pretty hefty range, and sends them to a predetermined point on the stage. He then begins a series of powerful sword attacks that ends in him driving the enemy into the ground, then sending them flying. Great Aether is even capable of catching multiple characters. If you happen to be playing with Smash Balls, then wait for an opening to unleash this rather than splurge it as soon as you get it. It's usually a guaranteed kill. Also, if your enemy has quite a bit of damage already, try to kill them without it, then use it on them when return.

TAUNTING
Taunting is pretty important in fighting. It annoys the opponent, which causes them to act without a clear mind. Impulse actions mean more mistakes. Mistakes made by your opponent are always good for you. The effect of the taunt can also be compounded by certain monologues (things you say to your opponent, but they don't reply. One-way conversation, basically). Ike's taunts are annoying because they take a fair bit of time as far as taunts go (which is ridiculous, since he's already slow enough when he fights). However, they each have their points of usefulness. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to use them.

Ike's UpTaunt makes him hold is sword in front of his face, generate wind to make his cape flow for dramatic effect, and make this screaming noise that is supposed to show extreme manliness. This is best used for those instances when you are dominating the battle. By dominating, I mean that you are the only one doing damage, and have been for a while. It is also very effective in party battles in which you are handling more than opponent by yourself. Manly screams are the best spoken lines to go along with this taunt. (ex. "RAAAGE!", "YAAAH!", [Insert Link's "dialouge" here.])

SideTaunt makes Ike hold his sword behind him in a sort of "valiant hero" pose, then say "Prepare yourself.". A good use of this taunt is to first use the taunt when no action is really going on, then score a very strong hit on the opponent (preferably one that sends them flying). Repeat this cycle, occasionally throwing in banter such as "You know I'm warning you in advance, right?" or "You don't take cues very well, do you?"

Ike's DownTaunt makes him drive his sword into the ground, magically create wind for dramatic effect, then cross his arms. While the taunt itself is an obvious attempt to look cool, it works better to show boredom. Throw it out whenever your opponent leaves you in a state of not doing much work, such as taking a long time to return to the stage, running away, or not being much competition. Sighs and yawns work well with this.
COMBAT STRATEGY
I'm going to start by explaining how NOT to fight with Ike. As you should have noticed, Ike plays nothing like any other character in Brawl. Therefore, any attempts to use him like the other characters will end in failure. The charge in and attack strategy does not work here. Ike's are too slow for such a tactic to be even remotely effective. For the same reason, spamming the same attacks over and over doesn't work either. And while I'm not the subject of what not to do, don't charge any of his attacks. I don't know why I have to say this, but I'm saying it. I mean, his attacks are slow enough as it is. Why would you delay them any more than necessary? The only exception to this is his Upsmash, since people have a tendency to air dodge beside you so they can counterattack, which still leaves them in range of the arc.

Timing is everything. Don't rush your use of Ike's stronger KO moves. Just pay attention and wait until you've got an open spot. Sooner or later, you'll get a good chance to use them. Also, practice judging the range of Ike's attacks and the time they need to preparation time needed. With the exception of his Fsmash and B moves, there's not a whole lot of lag at the end of his attacks (thank goodness). While the enemy will be pushed to a safe distance if they block the attack, it's not wise to use a move and hope that the enemy takes a certain countermeasure. The better you understand these things, the better off you'll be. In my experience, there are two good ways to play with Ike.

Method 1) This method is all about defense. Your opponent does the attacking. Your opponent sets the pace. You just go with the flow, defending yourself with your faster attacks, until you see an opening with one of you heavy hitters, When it's there, you take it. The main moves used here are Neutral A, Up Tilt, Bair, Aether, and Grabs. You have SideA and Fsmash as KOs when you get the chance, with a Counter every once in a while. Aether is really only used to defend against aerial attacks, since you wont be doing much jumping. You can actually get by with just walking via this method.

While you can use other attacks here, you don't need them. But since you're the player, it's your call. Different situations may arise that call for different moves. Use your best judgement.

Method 2) This is a more offensive approach, although still not a full out assault. The key here is to close to quickly close the distance between you and your opponent with an attack. This is where Quick Draw comes in. If you use it correctly, you should stop right in front of the enemy. since there's no lag, you are free to break out your A combo or Up tilt to deal some damage. You should also learn to do very small jumps and quickly follow them up with aerial attacks, as they will be immensely helpful. You will oftentimes end up too close to the enemy to use Quick Draw.

The main moves seen here are A combo, SideB, Up Tilt, Fair, Bair, DashA, and Grabs. You've still got SideA and Fsmash as your killlers, and Aether for defense from aerials. However, you can face off against the enemy in the air with this method, which also opens you up to using Bneutral, Nair, and Upair. You're free to run around the stage, but you shouldn't try to attack after a long distance Quick Draw. They tend to not work, and leave you wide open.

GOOD MATCHES
Here we have three characters who Ike tends to do well against.

1) Sonic: Yes, I know it sounds weird, but Ike does in-fact have the advantage here. To begin with, Sonic has poor range, meaning that he has to come within range of Rangell before you're in range of him. He's also light, so it takes less work to kill him. Another great bonus is his utter lack of kill moves longer. This means that you have more time to get less hits in on a character that has to get close to hurt you. His combos may be annoying, but it's painfully obvious when they're coming. Finally, it takes quite a bit of practice, but try to match the timing your attacks with the Homing Attack. Get that down, and you're all set to take down the blue hedgehog.

2) Wario: Wario's lack of range and pudgy build make him an easy target. Add to the that his poor speed, and you've got yourself an easy match. He's not packing anything that's really a threat to you. Also, if he gets on his bike, Fsmash him to kingdom come.

3) Ganondorf: Ganondorf's definitely at a disadvantage against Ike. He's even slower than Ike is, and he doesn't have any reasonable attacks that can match his in strength. He may prove somewhat troublesome in the air, but he can't jump all that high, and he has to come down sometimes. Just keep the fight on the floor and you'll be fine.

BAD MATCHES
These three characters will prove to be serious trouble for Ike.

1) Meta Knight: MK is easily Ike's worst match. His tiny and attacks move at lightning speed, making counter useless, along with most of Ike's slower moves. He's also got the ability to chain at a ridiculous rate, leaving you helpless as he knocks you around racking u the damage. And you can forget about an air battle with MK. Your best bet is to stay on defense and try to get him out as quickly as possible with Bair, Up Tilt, or SideA.

2) Snake: Snake's heavier than Ike, but faster for some odd reason. He's also packing a horde of powerful projectiles that are going to make you feel like you just walked into a warzone. Then there's his insane recovery, as well as the power of some of close range moves. Try to lure him into range of his own projectiles, and catch either right after he is hit b one of them, or while he is dodging them.

3) Wolf: While all of the space animals are a pain, Wolf is the worst. His moves pack the most punch of all of them, yet are still much faster than most of Ike's arsenal. Most of your attacks will work here, but Wolf's ability to deal powerful hits at a faster rate can be a serious pain to deal with.

SPECIAL TRICKS
Here, we have a list of all of Ike's special tricks. These are not all combos with special moves. Some are just special uses for existing moves.

Aether Spike: This is done close to the edge. The way this works is that you use Aether and send both yourself and the opponent over the edge. However, on the drive down, you will grab onto the ledge, while your opponent continues downwards into the pit. This is an extremely useful trick, since it allows you to edgeguard with one of you faster attacks.

Aether Trap: First, use Aether. While they are reeling from the attack, use it again.

Aether Return: Fist, grab a ledge. Now press down to drop, then Aether. You want to time it so that you either go back up to the ledge, or throw the sword just above the ledge, then come to join it. This makes for a good platform return technique.

FBair: To do this, you begin by dashing at the enemy. Next, you tap back, then forward, then do your fair. If done correctly, you should do your Bair while moving forward. This allows you to do the better of the two moves, which is always helpful. Unfotunatel, you need to dash to do this, so you will still have to use fair sometimes.

Infinite A Neutral: To do this, do the first two attacks in the 3-hit combo, then tap down. You should do a quick duck, resetting the combo and allowing you to to do the the combo again. It's possible to do this multiple times in one go if you get the enemy into a wall, and is easier with bigger characters. Each time, you add 9% to the total damage. The most I've ever gotten is two in a row.

Quick Draw Combo: Mentioned before, but restating. You time your Quick Draw charge so that it stops right in front the enemy, then do either your A combo or Up tilt.

Throw Combo 1: First, do the forward throw. Then quick dash after the enemy thrown and use you dashA. Very useful when you need to force people away.

Throw Combo 2: First, use your down throw. Next, use UpTilt. Finish it with Aether. As the damage gets higher, you may need to alter this a bit to account for the higher flight. You can jump before using Aether to still bring the opponent down, skip the Up Tilt and go straight to Aether, or swap out Aether for Uair.

Nair Combo: Start by jumping. Time your Nai so that you hit the enemy just before you hit the ground. They should be reeling form the attack, and you should be lag-free. Use your A combo, SideA, or Up Tilt. Good for small people and those that like to aim low.

Reverse Grab: Start by running. Now quickly press grab and the opposite directional button. This works well against enemies that like to chase you, since they'll be running right into it.

SCENARIOS
Here we have a list of situations that you may find yourself in, and what you can do during these events. Bear in mind that these are not the only reactions, just some ideas for you. Since this comes after the special tricks section, some of those may be seen here.

Approaching: Running long distances and trying your dash attack isn't gonna work, and neither is a long range Quick Draw. You need to get much closer for an effective approach. Remember they key; fast approach. You can run, but you need to stop when you get close enough for one the following approaches.

The obvious choice is Quick Draw combo, since it works so well. However, a short dash to a dash attack or FBair are useful as well, since you can't use the same approach every time. Another issue with those is that have set parameters in which they are effective; not only they ineffective at very long distances, but very short ones as well. If you need to approach a rather close opponent, break out the short hop to Fair, Nair, or Bair.

Whatever you do, don't try to approach from the air. It doesn't work. While you may get lucky with Eruption, it generally ends up with you getting wailed one the second you land.

Escaping: Sometimes, you will end up in tough situations where you need to put some space between you and the enemy. There's no shame in that. The obvious choice is to roll away and run, but Ike's not the fastest kid in town. When you need to get away, your most helpful moves are UpTilt, Bair and A combo. Another nice tactic is to do a short hop away from the enemy and begin charging Quick Draw. Charge it for as long as you can, then release before you are knocked out of it. You should be out of any immediately danger.

Another cool way to escape is to do a jump backwards (you move backwards, but still face the enemy) followed quickly by fair. The attack has enough range to stop most incoming attacks, and enough knockback to create a healthy space between yourself and the opponent.

Edguarding: Edguarding enemies they are returning from above you is fairly easy. Aether Spike is my personal favorite, as it saves you a lot of work, and doesn't require the enemy to be at a really high damage percentage for it too work. It can theoretically work even if it is the only attack that hits the enemy. There's also his aerials if you just want to throw something unexpected at the enemy.

When they are returning from around the same level as you, things work a bit differently. Here, you're back relying to A combo, Bair, and UpTilt, though Fsmash, and SideA can be of use as well.

When they approach from below, you have a problem. Ike's aerials can't be used in the air and still have time for a recovery. You either grab the edge so that they are unable to (known as edgehogging), jump down and go for a well timed and positioned Aether Spike in which you grab onto the edge just as you begin the drive down (pretty risky), or try to charge Eruption or DownSmash in the hopes that you will force them upwards and add some damage to them, requiring them to approach from the air (which is good, because the approach is then in your favor).

Defense/Counterattack: The three obvious ways of defending yourself are to block, sidestep, and dodge roll. However, another simple and effective method is simply to duck. Ike can get pretty low with his duck, and it's lag free. You can pop underneath an incoming attack, get up, and whip out your Uptilt or A combo in almost no time at all.

One of the methods used for escape can also be good for counterattacking. By doing a jump backwards (you move backwards, but still face the enemy) followed quickly by fair, you can dodge most close range blows and counter with a powerful one of your own that is pretty difficult to avoid.

Enemy At The Edge: This is a wonderful situation for any character, but especially for Ike. Since many of is attacks come a great deal of knockback, it's extremely easy to KO with these moves when they are already so close to the edge. A combo still works nicely here, as well Uptilt to fair/bair. SideA and fsmash lack the speed to be used right off the bat, and are going to be expected. They need to be saved for an opening if they are to be used.

If your opponent knows anything about Ike, they will be trying to get out of this position. Keep your eye out for any dodge rolls and be ready to stop them with Upsmas or Downsmash. Eruption also works well to stop the enemy from returning due to its large range, leaving the enemy reeling long enough to knock them off with fair/bair.

Ike at The Edge:Gonna be blunt here; this situation bites. Ike's not the most mobile person, so avoiding their attacks and running away from the edge may not always work. Ike's grabs work best here. They keep the enemy reeling from the attack longer enough to give you plenty of time to get away from the edge. It's then you choice to either take the fight to the center of the stage, or go immediately on the offensive and try to force them off of.

Returning To The Stage: If you are returning from above, you are in the best position. You should have plenty of time to choose from a variety of entry methods, such as Aether to stop an incoming aerial attack, or a well charged Quick Draw to launch you well into the stage. As long as the enemy isn't anywhere close to you, then you have nothing to to worry about.

If you are returning from around platform level, it may be kinda tough. Most enemies will either hit you off as soon a you return with Quick Draw, or jump in the way and have you knock them back to the stage while you fall. Your best bet is to charge Quick Draw for as long as you can, and launch just as you line up with the edge. Most enemies aren't going to risk falling too low to recover just to keep you off, and Quick Draw's speed makes it almost impossible to be hit in the middle of the dash.

Returning from the bottom is the worst. Aether is not the best recover move, and leaves you open if you reach the platform with it. Your best bet it to go with Aether Return, timing your use of it so that you just reach the edge with the flip. That should knock off anyone trying to edgehog, and keep you safe from counterattack on the platform itself.

FAQ
Q: I have some info that I think you should add/edit/remove from your guide.
A: Present it. I am always willing to hear the thoughts of others. If you thought of something I didn't, tell me. If you think I'm wrong, let me know.

Q: Are you a master with Ike?
A: Hell no. I have lots of room for improvement. My first of three main problems is that I don't always follow the information I have put in this guide. Second, I still have to think about some of my actions/reactions rather than them coming naturally. Finally, I am too impatient. I cannot effectively use the defensive method with Ike, and tend to jump the gun with using moves that require you to wait for openings.

Q: Why isn't Ike in Brawl like he is in FE9/FE10?
A: Well, let's think for a minute. After Ike promotes to his second class in FE9, the rest of your forces are superfluous. By this, I mean that you can solo the game with him. This can be difficult to do without Aether, but it's still possible. Speaking of Aether, notice how ridiculously overpowered it is in his games? It nullifies your opponent's defense stat (so it might as well be zero), and heals you for damage you do to them. Keep in mind that Aether hits twice. FE10 is much harder, but that doesn't stop him from being god tier in both games. And let's not forget that Ragnell can generate projectile based energy waves when swung. So, bringing him over directly from FE would make him as fast as Marth, virtually lagless with all of his attacks, capable of long range combat, and wielding a vastly more powerful Aether that leaves after it hits. I think this question answers itself.

Q: Is it just me, or is Ike's sword shaped like a...
A: Yes, it is. No, I don't know why they did that to Ragnell. It definitely doesn't look like that in FE9/FE10. Just drop the subject, OK?

Q: I liked Roy better than Ike. Why did they cut him?
A: Because he was a clone, and either he or Marth had to go. Roy is the worst FE lord statistically speaking, and the least popular. Marth is loved by tons, and has a FE game coming out for the DS. Ike statistically the best, arguably the most popular, had FE9 a while before Brawl came out, and FE10 around the same time as Brawl's original NA release.

Q: My friend sucks, and I beat him with Ike all the time. I didn't use any of the stuff in this guide.
A: This guide assumes that your opponents are at least decent at Brawl. It doesn't apply if you opponent is garbage. If you are facing a n00b, feel free to spam fsmash and counter to your hearts content.

Q: Thanks for this guide. I learned a lot. So, I'm good with Ike now, right?
A: Of course not. You can't just read the guide and suddenly be good. You have to practice what you have learned. Practice until it you don't have to think about the things you've read in this guide. It supposed to come just as naturally as it does to block when you're being attacked.

Q: Can I fight you?
A: Yes.

Made it for some friends. Can anyone help me improve on it?

WeLikeIke

Smash Cadet
A lot of bad advice. Sadly mixed right into the good advice. At least the guide is well-thought-out, full of accurate technical information, and original (unlike someone-who-I-won't-name's crappy copy/pasted guides).

Honestly, for the scenario and special tricks sections, you'd be better off watching tournament Ike youtubes and Kirk, Silven, and Azen's Ikes and giving advice based on what they do than going off your own personal experience.

Not saying your experience is invalid, it's just not useful for tournaments or facing tournament-level friends.

The good vs bad matchups are accurate, yet incomplete and not detailed. Some of the advice there is bad, too.

I hope you don't take this too harshly. I appreciate your effort and your guide beats the crap out of 80% of the hollow guides typically posted on these boards. Especially with the move descriptions.

Good luck on your next project.

Kilik 64

Smash Rookie
Trust me, I deeply apreciate the help, regardless of how harsh it is. Now, could someone help point out some of the bad advice for me? I mean, I got this much done already, so I might as well just fix it.

Besides, I think I might be (to my misfortune) the best Ike on Neoseeker, which sucks since there's nobody to learn from. Plus, this guide is up there as well, so I'd do well to correct it for everyone else who reads it.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
This is impressive, and I learned more than I expected. But don't you think it's best to add it to the guide by Empy and Kirk, since we know there are good Ike players and it's easier working on a single guide. But the benefit of writing a guide is explaining what you know from your own perspective and also good to review.

Top Bottom