• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with luigi vs. peach/yoshi

Jeb

Smash Cadet
Well to make a long explanation short: these two seem to never have any lag between their landings and their own attacks.

For peach, I faced this one guy who would float an inch above the air and dair me....then the instant he lands he just down smashes (this is one example of many where no landing lag occurred). I just can't seem to use my usual tactics against these players, nor can I punish them for missing in general because peach seems to be able to move onto her next move instantly (well at least compared to others it looked that way) =[

As for yoshi, I've actually never faced a good one til the other day....and wow I got torn up in my aerial game. The yoshi I played had no lag between his attacks....much like peach. Not to mention that yoshi's shield grab is good so I can't melee this thing for my life.

Any suggestions for better approaches = much appreciated.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
Space yourself out with peach, use backairs, but mix it up with up tilts and up smashes when she's above you. Use fireballs and Tornado to approach, use upward tilted f-smash to kill (least lag). Try to juggle her when she's in the air using up airs, n-airs, and f-airs.

With Yoshi, approach the same way you would with Peach. I believe tornado stop the egg roll, but i'm not certain. You can attempt a spike off stage if you know the hitbox, which is around his arms, practice the spike (d-air). Sliding down smashes is good for killing yoshi (walk, then down smash). Be aware of Yoshi's 2nd jump super armor though, that could throw your aerial game off.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Peach -
The floating aerials really wreck your approach; you're better off using the old Fireball=>Tornado technique. Turnips die when they touch a Fireball, and IIRC they might stop Peach Bomber also so be sure to be spammy. Her Smashes are also quick, so be ready to shield a lot. Edgeguarding is a pain with her float+Bomber for Horizontial but slightly lacks in Vertical Recovery (Still don't take it too lightly; The parasol goes farther than you think) So go for a vertical kill. Peach dies fairly easy thanks to her being somewhat light.

Yoshi-
He's got a very mindgamey aerial game thanks to his horizontal speed. IMO he plays like Wario somewhat; Neutral B Grab Attack, Tornado may clink with his Egg Roll, and I'm sure an NAir will stop a few of his aerials. Something that gets annoying is the Egg Throw; that will stop your momentum if you're not careful, and good Yoshi players can snipe you better than an assassin. However, while your Fireball lacks range, you can still do the same to him; It's hard to say which way to kill him, as he's heavy and his horizontal recovery is ok given air speed. GO for a Horizontal Kill; after that second jump is wasted consider him dead; but you'll need to mindgame/edgeguard effectively to fake them out.

The thing here is the Fireball. It can stop the momentum of both these characters easily because of their inability to deal with it correctly (Other than dodging/attacking lmao). It's your friend. Your green, flying, slow, firey, asdgafdhga friend.

Septuagint

Smash Cadet
For peach, I use the fire ball and try to kick and punch above her while she's floating. I basically take a long time to kill a peach if I manage to beat the good ones. But the fireball definitely will change her tactics, and basically you can have a ground game with her. That's what I try to do.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Ah Peach is a very good exciting matchup for Luigi. Yoshi.. Eh i never fought a good one yet I still one to see a good yoshi though. The posts above pretty much covers it.

-Peach. Her approachs are garbage IMO. Let her approach you. Your fireballs can force her to approach you. Most Peachs tend to apporach with turnip then float and aerials. Use tornado setup such as fireball to tornado does best. Gimping her is abit troublesome espically horizonally. Gimp her as much as possible so so that she'll be forced to use vertical recoveries. Don't charge fully smash (Duh lol) because her F-air has some great priority and knockback. Once I did a fireball to F-air, She did Fair and canceled my fireball and Fair. So becareful with that. Grab her with dthrows and juggle her with upairs/utilts. She's fairly light so you can't juggle her as much as other fastfallers/heavy weights. If your sent into the air, and your falling on top of her, becareful and I suggest Di-ing away unless you know your gonna hit her with a Dair or Nair or so, because her Upsmash or utilt, forgot which one it was, can sweetspot. She lack's the vertical ko's so take advantage of a counter stage pick such as smashville or jungle japes. Though jungle japes give's her a slight advantage due to her floating. Don't worry about her Dsmash, just make sure if your holding to the ledge, don't stay to long because her Dsmash can catch you there. Keep it grounded game and then take it to the air. Fireball should do the trick too here.

I'll talk about yoshi even though he isn't much of a hassle. Will edit later

Etherlight

Smash Apprentice
*randomly comes out of nowhere*

Peach's U-Smash (where she spins around) has a sweetspot (on the shoulders) that'll kill you in the 80-90s (w/o DI). Either way you should never be above Peach as it just begs for U-tilt (high priority and is disjointed), F-tilt (great range) or U-Smash with its high KO power.

The only quick smash she has is D-Smash, which isn't really something you should worry about.

Be sure to remember that Peach's Fair has a wide auto-cancel window and she may follow-up with jabs, grabs, F-tilt and the likes. Spaced Fairs will be difficult to punish unless perfect-shielded.

She dies early at low-ceiling areas (very light for her size) so any place with low ceilings may help Luigi kill her much easier.

If you shield a Dair be sure to roll away from her unless you she's directly above you once the move is done where you can simply use a U-tilt. Staying there with your shield will just get your shield eaten and spot-dodging may get you hit if timed wrong. Peach's float doesn't have enough movement speed to catch up and you also have two directions to roll to.

LilWeegi

Smash Cadet
my main partner is a good yoshi mainer, and the egg is stopped by fireball tornado gets smacked away easily given yoshis momentum and bad timing on either of your parts. He has a very nice low lag air game that can punish you and when he gets you high in the air the knockback on the Uair tailwhip sends you vertically at low %'s. Be very careful of yoshi's second jump super armor, it will mess you up because when you try to move where the combo would continue you can lose position and get % racked up on you fast and maybe die when you had them on the ropes. So how do you stop Yoshi? short hop approaching doesn't work you will be at 30% damage by those exploding eggs he tosses, they hit you even if you air dodge most the time, this is one of the times rolling in is a great approach, if he goes to the egg roll then you stop fire ball and after that he has stopping lag you can run up they most likely try and *** or F-smash roll under and Fire punch death. Your up b may be the only effective way to send yoshis heavy *** vertically, unless he has high % and bad DI don't try to send him off the top to often, if you do it should be by 2 way, Fsmash with up angle or UpB superpunch. the best way to kill yoshi is stay by the edge and use your shield grab to get him off then WoP with your Bair or * my prefrence because i am so used to facing a yoshi mainer, stay forward, run off Fair back flip to stage run off and repeat when he wastes his second jump wait for him to start falling, don't let him touch any platform then keep him low down and WoP your Bair. If you have a lot of practice you can get quick easy kills off of shield grabbing bthrow and then Dair spike but my best friend who mains yoshi has seen this 1,000 times so he air dodges it every time so now i say the best method vs a good yoshi is Fair untill they need to use the double jump wait for them to lose Armor then Bair WoP for a prat fall or a horizontal KO

Peach has crap for an approach but the turnip dash, floating into a wigi is death in my book. If they float to you jump past them underneath so they can't hit you with a Dair and then Bair them to the side of the stage you started, from here i Tornado in get her up and do your best % building combo and push her to the edge and try and force her off the stage and Bair+edge guard. If she approaches with the turnip then fire ball spam her, either WoFB or just reg spam the fireball depending on their variation of the turnip dash, they generally just sprint in throw it and go into a lagless combo that has you at 60% and falling off your side right off the bat, but to avoid the turnip and they'll still be in a sprint, roll under and then start a dash and you can use the running fist to hit them as they were going to smash you they should have a tiny bit of lag leaving them open for 3 or 4 fists sending them off the edge then you can go straight into edge guarding from there. Peach is very light and can be sent off the top and sides very easy at around 70% with side and up smash attacks with no charge but at around 85to 90 the dsmash will usually send her granted her DI skill. As for approaching her, short hop in but the last jump when your closest fast fall and air dodge to avoid her up smash, it can do great damage granted they hit the sweetspot but if she misses it has nice lag time so superpunch is there, or Usmash to get her into the air and you can work your aerials from there

hope this helped and if you need any other help with tough matchups post it because theres a ton of good wigi's around here that can give you several points of views

Top Bottom