• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Luigi Matchup

Dawnz_

Bounty Hunter
NNID
Dawnz24
Hi! Went to a weekly tonight and had to play a Luigi twice in bracket and lost both times, this is the first time I've played an actual Luigi main and I had a really hard time I felt like I couldn't play how i normally play, I have a hard time playing against characters that make you play their game I like baiting people and using lasers to get in. I got beat out in neutral I cant laser to get an opening. I cant combo cause of his weight and i have a hard time edge guarding because of his priority. I just need advice on options and how to play certain stages of the match.

Here's the match if you'd like to watch, might want to mute the audio |http://www.twitch.tv/dawnztv/v/15787532|

Thanks for the help! <3

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Hit Luigi into the air.

Now he's slow and floaty, not fast and slippery. What moves do you have that circumvent the threat of his aerials? How can you follow up on them in a way that keeps him from getting out or threatening a counterhit? Can those followups lead to situations where Luigi is stuck in the air? Given the opportunity, could you set up any of these situations on their own in a way that allows you to initiate this cycle?

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Abuse luigi's weak points: his slow fall speed + trouble getting down + bad air mobility and utilize your strong points: disjointed anti-airs, high ground and air mobility, and a slew of launchers. Use lasers more as a zoning tool to discourage his burst movement (wavedashes) and then catch him when he messes up (i.e. jumps or gets hit). Be wary of his crossups and aerial barrages (any aerial except nair can be followed up with another out of a short hop!!). there are so many times you could've up b'd or up smashed or up air'd out of shield (or just waited) but you got impatient and did a worse option. Be smarter about your ledge invincibility while edgeguarding: luigi's recovery is always gonna be telegraphed and punishable once he commits to one of his specials. You weren't respecting his ledge options at all either and ate a lot of fireballs for it. You looked really uncomfortable on Yoshi's Story as well, primarily due to the top platform height. Get comfortable there, as it's usually a pretty great ZSS stage.

Also upgrade your commentator game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom