• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Ike's DACUS

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys. I'm having some trouble getting Ike's DACUS to work, because I have changed my controls to X = Grab, and Z = Jump (I also have tap jump turned off but that is unrelated). I really don't want to change my controls back, as I prefer the controls I am using now. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to DACUS with my controls? Thanks.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I think it's possible with the A button, but I'm not 100% on that.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hi guys. I'm having some trouble getting Ike's DACUS to work, because I have changed my controls to X = Grab, and Z = Jump (I also have tap jump turned off but that is unrelated). I really don't want to change my controls back, as I prefer the controls I am using now. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to DACUS with my controls? Thanks.
What inputs are you currently doing? I claw the DACUS, meaning I use my right thumb for the C-stick and my index finger for A when inputting the USmash.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the replies guys! I don't play claw, so unfortunately that method wouldn't work for me. Currently I have no way of doing it. I was experimenting to see if can I use the A button instead of the C-stick flick and then slide my thumb over to the X button (my grab button) in order to DACUS, but I don't believe that works. Setting a shoulder button to Attack is a good idea, except I shield and L-cancel with L and wavedash with R... There doesn't seem to be a good way for me to DACUS without changing the way I input buttons :(

metroid1117

Smash Master
Thanks for the replies guys! I don't play claw, so unfortunately that method wouldn't work for me. Currently I have no way of doing it. I was experimenting to see if can I use the A button instead of the C-stick flick and then slide my thumb over to the X button (my grab button) in order to DACUS, but I don't believe that works. Setting a shoulder button to Attack is a good idea, except I shield and L-cancel with L and wavedash with R... There doesn't seem to be a good way for me to DACUS without changing the way I input buttons :(
You wouldn't have to claw all of the time, you'd just have to claw when you DACUS; as per the hand cam in this video, I just shift back to playing regularly when I don't plan on DACUS'ing. It does take some getting used to, but since DACUS is an extremely potent option, I'd highly recommend incorporating it into your game.

Last edited:

Bryonato

Green Hat
I also claw for specific situations. Not with dacus, just sometimes.
I claw for mag -> jc usmash for example with ness

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
If you can't get a handle on DACUS, QD>JC U-smash basically does the same thing.

metroid1117

Smash Master
IIRC, Ike's jumpsquat is slow enough (frame 5) that you can DACUS with up+Z but you only have a 1 frame window. DACUS'ing with up+A grants you a 2 frame window.
If you can't get a handle on DACUS, QD>JC U-smash basically does the same thing.
This is true, but QD -> JC USmash might go too far and it's slower than DACUS, so it's unlikely that you can ever true combo into it outside of DAir (spike) -> QD -> JC USmash.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
In what situations what you use DACUS to do a true combo? I don't think I've ever tried it outside of punishing on-stage recoveries and tech chasing.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I like to do D throw->DACUS if I noticed they DI right. It can be a good tech chase.

metroid1117

Smash Master
In what situations what you use DACUS to do a true combo? I don't think I've ever tried it outside of punishing on-stage recoveries and tech chasing.
Like Y-L said, DThrow -> DACUS can be a true combo on floaties depending on DI, even at high %s. If they DI in on FThrow or BThrow it's possible to land a DACUS, as well as out of UThrow on spacies. Reverse NAir -> DACUS is also a true combo with no DI around 75% on some characters (IIRC it's around 80% for TL), and you can also NAir -> DACUS depending on DI. Key disclaimer for most of those things is "depending on DI" though, so it either requires a hard read on their DI, quick reactions, or purely YOLO'ing. On Fountain, you can either NAir or throw opponents onto low platforms and then DACUS to cover all four of their tech options (missed tech, standing tech, and both rolling techs), basically making it guaranteed when timed properly.

Last edited:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Interesting. I'll have to utilize those more if I know my opponent's going to be stupid with their DI.

That said, it seems like a lot of Ike's stuff is DI dependent, so more often than not I am YOLOing everything, haha.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Oh, clawing only for DACUS makes sense. Thanks metroid! Now I don't have to change controls, haha.
I also claw for specific situations. Not with dacus, just sometimes.
I claw for mag -> jc usmash for example with ness
Why wouldn't you do it with z set to grab? Default controls 5ever
In response to you guys, I switched my Z and X buttons because I jump cancel quickdraw with Z. For example, Bryonato, if you had my controls, you could just press Z and then up on the C-stick for a JC upsmash, instead of clawing it. I'm not saying my controls are better or anything, I'm just offering some reasoning into why I have the controls that I have. Thanks for the comments!

Last edited:
Top Bottom