• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Fox's Short Hop

Raidx

Smash Rookie
So im a falco main but been practicing fox for a while now (about 4 months maybe even longer) and no matter how much i practice, i just cant short hop consistently with fox. i tried flicking, tapping the edge of x, i even tried using y and nothing works. I been practicing fox shield pressure (shine nair,dair etc.) for 2 days straight non stop basically and im still having trouble with it i honestly dont know what to do anymore, like its been MONTHS ive been practicing the short hop and i still struggle to do 5 in a row. Also im pretty new to smashboards and i didnt know where to post this so sorry if its in the wrong place. Can anybody give me any tips?

IPIQ

Smash Rookie
This really is just a speed thing that gets better with practice. I remember being in your shoes. If it helps, you could try working your way up the list of characters sorted by how easy it is to short hop with here. Just work you way up the list, and eventually you will get to the hardest.

Practice makes perfect!

Raidx

Smash Rookie
This really is just a speed thing that gets better with practice. I remember being in your shoes. If it helps, you could try working your way up the list of characters sorted by how easy it is to short hop with here. Just work you way up the list, and eventually you will get to the hardest.

Practice makes perfect!
I only have a problem short hopping with fox ( and i guess the other characters with the same jumpsquat) but maybe ill try that out anyways lol thanks for the help man!

scrubbEN

Smash Rookie
It's perfectly normal to have trouble with short hopping with Fox (The crouch animation is 3 frames - 1/20 of a second), especially when you're tense or on edge (hence why some players end up full hopping if they're losing), and to be honest the way I got the hang of it was repeatedly shorthopping in a corner until I had it down.

As IPIQ said, just keep practising it and eventually you'll be able to do it easily.

Raidx

Smash Rookie
It's perfectly normal to have trouble with short hopping with Fox (The crouch animation is 3 frames - 1/20 of a second), especially when you're tense or on edge (hence why some players end up full hopping if they're losing), and to be honest the way I got the hang of it was repeatedly shorthopping in a corner until I had it down.

As IPIQ said, just keep practising it and eventually you'll be able to do it easily.
Yea i been practicing all week and i think i improved alittle bit but im still not 100% confident in short hopping lol never stopping tho im gonna keep at it till its like second nature

AndyT0073

Smash Cadet
I've been playing fox for around 2 years and maining him for about a year and i still miss short hops occasionally especially if my hands are clammy. I feel like becoming 100% consistent with fox's short hop is impossible because short hop is used so many times in a match i eventually screw one up. Is there a more effective way to short hop consistently? Is missing occasional short hops an inevitable result of maining fox? Or am i just bad :p. I know 2 years isn't that long compared to many who've played the game, however, i've played alot of melee these two years and i feel like an action as commonly used as short hop should be 100% under my fingers by now :(.

nugget61

Smash Rookie
Andy, you need to practice short hopping. You can certainly do it consistently, and that should be your top priority. It's alright to mess it up every now and then, especially under tourney pressure

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Just practice it man like try to get 30 short hops in a row without messing up. Practice makes perfect you got this man!

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Transitioning from falco to fox is a lot harder than people think, so props to you for doing it!

Perhaps one of the biggest changes when transitioning between spacies is the short hop timing. Because of the difference in jump squat frames being so noticeable, you have to actively change your timing, instead of just mindlessly wavedashing like you would with the character you're used to. This may or may not work for you, but try short hopping with a different character with the same amount of jumpsquat frames. For the longest time, I could not perfect wavedash with marth, but I could with game and watch. Practicing with g&w helped me learn marth's wavedash, so maybe short hopping with sheik will help you short hop with fox.

AndyT0073

Smash Cadet
I think the intent of my previous post was not clear and because of this i didn't get the responses I expected. I was trying to discuss the slight inconsistency in the nature of fox's short hop and not my own difficulties with it. I was really just looking for confirmation that it's okay to flub them because I feel like it's impossible to be very near 100% consistent with it. After looking into more I think my assumption was right. Sometimes you can see top players doing a full hop that was obviously intended to be a short hop in their matches and i tthink even leffen once stated on twitter when he was rusty that he cudn't short hop with fox consistently. I think this inconsistency may really just come down to having your hands warmed up before you play but i'm not sure what determines that. Sometimes I wont play melee for weeks and ill pick up the game and be doing pp shffls, shield drop wavelands, dash jc waveshines and all the stuff im inconsistent with and other times ill be playing the game consecutively for a few days then one day all of a sudden im having trouble short hopping out of shield lol. I'm really starting to think the inconsistency of fox's short hop just falls into the phenomenon that melee itself, being a hard game, is just inherently inconsistent. Especially since the game is being played for money under heavy pressure a lot of the time.

Top Bottom