• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with floaties.

Thal

Smash Rookie
I'm relatively new to trying to play smash competitively. I enjoy Sheik a lot, but I feel like I'm struggling comboing and KO'ing characters like Mewtwo and Samus. I mainly use f-tilts and grabs to set up f-airs and b-airs, but even if they hit it still isn't enough to KO at fairly high percentages. If someone could give me some insight on these match ups I would very appreciative.

Mario Blanchard

Smash Rookie
well at high % if F-airs/B-airs are not killing i think stage may be a problem. were are you going vs the problem characters? if you try and get the smaller stages or stages were you can gimp easily then it should be much better for you

Thal

Smash Rookie
well at high % if F-airs/B-airs are not killing i think stage may be a problem. were are you going vs the problem characters? if you try and get the smaller stages or stages were you can gimp easily then it should be much better for you
Very true that on stages like Fountain of Dreams it is much easier to KO off the side. The problem lies in the fact that sometimes I do have to go to stages like Smashville.

Mario Blanchard

Smash Rookie
very true but on a larger stage at high %'s if a fair don't kill them then it should be sending them far. meaning they need to use a lot of resources to get back. in which case grab the ledge and B-air off stage. Sheik has always been good at gimping and edge guarding.

Thal

Smash Rookie
I'll try focusing and improving on edge guarding. Thanks.

Fortress

Smash Master
Pick stages with low ceilings or platform setups that allow quick access to them, and set up for u-airs.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Yeah, I usually just edge guard Samus to death. Needles kill her bomb stalling game and her up-b is very linear. When she's getting close just go in for the edgehog. Drop off and Bair her if she tries to drop into Up-b range, and do the same on reaction to a tether. Shouldn't be too hard.

Mewtwo is a pain in the ass to gimp, but it's doable. If you catch him with Fair as he's about to teleport horizontally to the edge or stage, then that's bad DI, and assuming he's used his second jump and he's at decent percentage, that should be a gimp. If they don't know their teleport range well or are trying to mix things up by teleporting to the stage, the usual stand at edge and Dsmash can work too, but it's more likely to just reset the edgeguard and rack damage than it is to gimp him. Honestly, you're probably better off just killing him normally, though getting into that scenario is still good for you to rack up damage so you can do just that. Try and read their teleports and throw out a grab or even just a Fair.

Last edited:

Missile

Smash Apprentice
You are using the wrong moves on the wrong type of characters.

Don't try to go for exclusively f-air or b-air kills on-stage on floaties. Instead, use her new throws to setup for up-smashes or her tilts to setup for short hopped up-airs.

Condition your opponent to DI the down-throw and when you're ready to kill, down-throw them and watch for their lack of DI to it. Chain grab and backthrow for an almost guaranteed bad DI into your up-smash kill.

Top Bottom