• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with DeDeDe

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
By far, King DeDeDe is the most infuriating matchup for me to face as a Falcon main. I find myself in a mix of controlling the stage and then losing it to guros (spiky ball things?). Sometime I can punch them back with Nair but I need something more consistent. He's big, strong, and has fast moves. When he down tilts, I have no clue how to get out of the second downtilt and punish.

Any tips on how to play against DeDeDe or how to punish?

Trioxin

Smash Rookie
Running grab is your friend. As Falcon, you have the speed advantage. You'll need to get in with that grab, up throw or down throw, and start some combos. DeDeDe's tilt game is very strong so you'll have to mix things up to not get too predictable, but if you can keep him in a combo you'll be set. His smashes leave him wide open if he misses, as does his dash. If he misses with the laggy moves, you HAVE to pounce. Use that speed.

Secondly, all gordo tosses can be knocked back with just a jab. Just tap A and you'll send it flying back.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Oh, I thought you'd need more hits to send a gordo back. I didn't realize one tap would do the trick.

I need to return those and do a better job of not getting ledge guarded into down smashes. Thanks for the tips mate!

Trioxin

Smash Rookie
Oh, I thought you'd need more hits to send a gordo back. I didn't realize one tap would do the trick.

I need to return those and do a better job of not getting ledge guarded into down smashes. Thanks for the tips mate!
No problem!

Yeah the gordos got nerfed in the balance patch. It's even easier to knock them back now. Any attack that does 2% damage or more will knock it back.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Oooooh I didn't know that! I always use f-tilt to send them back! This is lousy for DeDeDe, but great for us.

As for the match-up, don't forget f-throw -> dash attack, too! Specially on low percentages.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Oh didn't know that one. That a heavy fighter true combo? Then it sets up for Uair combo

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
IIRC, it's an almost-every-character pseudo-combo. Very useful! And yes, sets up for Uair combo easily.

Fauni

Smash Rookie
One thing I tend to avoid in this match is going above him as his uair beats out pretty much anything falcon can do

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Falcon Kick those things and they will rocket back at him. Plus DeDeDe is slow and offline I think he's terrible. Way to predictable. People abuse using him online because with the small lag they can pull things off that they would not be doing locally.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I wouldn't Falcon Kick the Gordos, it's unsafe... whiff them and you'll be standing right in front of DeDeDe, ready for an F-smash to the face.

I'd just f-tilt or jab them if I were you.

Trioxin

Smash Rookie
Falcon Kick those things and they will rocket back at him. Plus DeDeDe is slow and offline I think he's terrible. Way to predictable. People abuse using him online because with the small lag they can pull things off that they would not be doing locally.
Yeah, if you were throwing that out often, you'd get punished pretty hard. I'd have to test out which moves would be best to punish it, but depending on the distance, it could lead to nasty damage/taking a stock.

An FYI, in case you all were not aware: Even if you reflect it back at us, we can catch it and throw it back by jabbing or pressing side b again. This is something that is regularly overlooked.

DeDeDe is far from terrible. He is a very solid character. Not as solid as Falcon, I'd say, but still very scary in the right hands, simply because of the pure damage and early KO potential against a good portion of the cast. If you have projectiles and/or combos, you can shut him down pretty hard, but one slip up and you can end up off the stage, where DeDeDe can chase with fair and bair excellently.

Top Bottom