• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with D.K.

RyNo 86

Smash Journeyman
Yo, I'm trying to get good with DK just incase I enter any low teir tournaments. So I was wondering what I should learn first if I want to get good with him. I've already started learning u-air juggles, but besides that I'm clueless.

pdk

Smash Lord
ledgehopping takes some practice with him; the height you gain is pretty short so bair and uair are the only "safe" moves to use with this and you obviously have to practice being extra fast (roll the stick from left/right to up then flick the c-stick) or you'll fall below the ledge and die every time

and the combination of knowing how to cancel the donkey punch charge and knowing how to turn around with it in midair can be much more useful than the punch itself (and that's saying something), learn those too

James Sparrow

Smash Master
His B-Air should be your crutch along with uair. Where uair can chain into easy combos, bair can be spammed and used as an approach and defensive maneuver.

DK_4_LYFE

Smash Rookie
the most basic thing u need to kno b4 air combos is how to charge up smash attacks. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SMASH ATTACKS!!!!

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
A great move for defense is the Forward Tilt. I love his forward tilt. It's range is so large it can actually deflect shuffles. It's longer than Marth's sword. Did I meantion it's high priority?

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
If it works for you then do it. No one's technique is the same. As for another edge guard, what do you guys think about DK's d-tilt?

I have a question also i was wondering where about would you L cancel during DK's fair attack and his dair attack? I can't really tell if i'm l cancelling it or not.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
I have a question also i was wondering where about would you L cancel during DK's fair attack and his dair attack? I can't really tell if i'm l cancelling it or not.
I wonder why nobodys been answering your questions for a while?
well I guess to find out if you're L cancelling is trying it with a different character where L cancelling is more notable, say Links dair

basically L cancelling the fair should be easy to spot because there is a lot less lag

BudDudandSlash

Smash Apprentice
Learn which moves of DK's are the fastest. Get a feel of chaining together his fast moves, and learn which time is right to finish it off with a heavy attack (IE: full wind=up punch, Smash attack).

Also, charge the fist whenever you can, especially after a kill on 1v1, or while you're invincible from respawning.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Check out some videos of good DK players (or even bad DK players if there’s a critique on their performance :chuckle:).

Videos of Captain Jack are good examples of charging up the punch a bit more whenever you get the chance. And read the stickied FAQ on this board, if you haven’t already …

Top Bottom