• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with bud's G&W

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
Let me just say that a snake is a bad matchup to begin with. Commenting as I watch:

- NEVER EVER EVER EVER approach with neutral B. biggest mistake you could ever make. Don't even bother using neutral B. it has its perks, but the risk far outweighs the rewards, making this a pretty useless attack.

- Watch your spacing with your bair and nair. if spaced right, snake will have a hard time punishing you, and if he shields it, you can escape and respace yourself with an upb.

- Avoid doing a short hop > fair. Too much end lag and easily punishable if the player is smart. if you want to do a full jump > fair, that's fine, but i'd save it as your finishing move to keep it fresh for a guaranteed kill. When approaching, try to do a nair or a bair.

- When hanging from the edge, try dropping then doing a 2nd jump > nair. for the most part unpunishable. especially with nair's insane priority. this also prevents your opponent from making any risky approaches and will let you turn things around if he gets too greedy. you also have many options from this position, such as a bair, or edgecamping to bait your opponent to get greedy.

- From shielding an attack, GnW usually has 2 options (at least this is what I think)
- shield grab
- retreat and respace yourself for another approach
if your tap jump is on, i believe you can do an upb from a shield (please correct me if i'm wrong, i never play with tap jump on). you release your shields too early, especially against a character like snake, whose disjointed tilts can punish gnw badly.

- avoid doing smashes so early on when the opponent isn't at kill %. keep racking up damage with your aerials and wait for the opening. gnw's playstyle is pretty aggressive, but it also requires a lot of spacing and patience. he is the 3rd lightest character in the game, and if played wrong can get killed extremely early.

- it looked like you didn't know how to bucket brake. when you get knocked off the stage, instead of doing an air dodge and trying to di from that, do a nair and IMMEDIATELY follow up with a bucket. that stops ALL momentum, preventing you from dying, making gnw last longer. I usually die around 120-140% in most fights if thanks to bucket braking.

- the dthrow > dsmash only works on certain characters, and snake isn't one of them. typically they work on light characters (jiggs, gnw, tl, fox, zelda to name a few). learn to tech chase people that can't tech properly and follow up with either another grab or an upsmash.

Top Bottom