• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Approaching

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm a relatively new falco but I think I have most of the basics down (aside from consistent WDing as i'm not very good at that in general). Nonetheless, I'm pretty good at SHB, SHFFL, pillaring, tilts, ect but I have one problem. My friend plays DDD and every time I approach, usually with a laser followed by a dair or nair, he shield grabs me almost every time. He usually camps close to ledge and just b throws me off and kills at like 60. How can I mitigate his shield grabs? I try to laser before I approach, and dair is usually my go-to move when I do approach. I do fast fall and L cancel every time, yet I still get shield grabbed out of dair. Any tips?

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
You could do a SHL into grab. If he's shielding and expecting you to SHFFL an aerial, then space your lazer so that you land in front of him and then grab.

That being said, I have 0 experience with the actual matchup and all this is from general rather than specific knowledge, so take that with a grain of salt.

Anyways, if you're mixing up your approaches to include grabs, he'll be more reluctant to shield everything, which you can use to create openings. I personally am a fan of lazer into D-tilt, although I'm not sure how well that would work vs. Dedede's range.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Is he just sitting there shielding? You can always not approach him, whittle away his shield with laser and then when it's low enough, shield poke him with N-Air or D-Air. You could also bait his grab by getting close but then wavedashing back or short hopping back. If there is a platform above him, you can waveland the platform above him, get behind him and attack him from above.

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
Instead of approaching him with a laser and dair or nair,you should wait till he shield and when you're right next to him knowing the grab will come wavedash back and punish him with a Fsmash or Usmash.

Or you could act like you're going to do the same thing as you do, laser dair or nair. But when next to him grab him before he can you. Uthrow bair and bam success.

Thamauturge

Smash Apprentice
Some good advice in this thread relevant to my playstyle with Falco as well as the OPs.

Instead of approaching him with a laser and dair or nair,you should wait till he shield and when you're right next to him knowing the grab will come wavedash back and punish him with a Fsmash or Usmash.

Or you could act like you're going to do the same thing as you do, laser dair or nair. But when next to him grab him before he can you. Uthrow bair and bam success.
Unfortunately, my fiercest opponent mains Link so the wavedash > FSmash cannot work.

Top Bottom