• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with a Matchup

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
I main Falco, and I have trouble beating my friend's Lucas. Can anyone shed some light on this matchup?

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Don't get hit.

(I don't know how to deal with Lucas. He's so crazy... I'd also like help with this)

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
So, I play Falco in melee and I derp around with Lucas in PM, which I only play casually, but here's what I've got to say.

Lucas is like PM's version of Falco. He's fast(but not fox levels of fast), has a psuedo shine in his PK Magnet, has a "lazer" with greater hitstun and damage but a lower rate of fire in his PK Freeze, and his aerials are ****ing amazing. His combo game and shield pressure are, as good as Falco's, but his PK freeze is much less effective at stage control than lazer. He's basically a floating spacie character, and he's closer to Falco than to Fox or Wolf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYUvCsXpXjE

That's Cyrain vs. PinkFresh. PinkFresh is one of the better Lucas players, and this set goes to game 3 of 3, so you can probably learn something from studying that.

Hope this helps.

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
To beat Lucas you need to trap him and cover all of his options he is most weak when he use any of his B moves so trap him in a combo I find Up throws into back air or Dair gets him shaken up if that does not work try getting close and the wave dash back and fourth he will most likely miss read leaving himself open I suggest one thing dont use lasers against him he will take advantage of his range

Thor

Smash Champion
You're Falco. He's not.

Seriously though, a few ideas to (possibly) help:

If it's the PK Freeze giving you trouble, shine is a reflector, and I think they have yet to fix the glitch where you can jump out of shine immediately after it's reflected something, so PK Freeze shouldn't pose problems, given its moderate startup lag, unless you're just starting a laser (you can reflect them and jump or wavedash out of shine). Technically he can absorb your lasers but I think they heal him like 7% tops so at low percents that's just one hit of a combo (every percent does matter but forcing him to down+B or shield might be useful as a bait so it doesn't mean forget the lasers - also not all Lucas players will absorb it).

His zair recovery has deceptively long range - get on the edge early (if you knocked him far enough away that he can't down+B and jump back on), and if he PK Thunders you have enough time to drop and refresh invincibility. If he zairs to recover, you should be able to wait until he pulls himself up then quickly jump up [drop off jump] (because you've been sitting there so no lag) and punish with nair, dair, or fair and go from there [his animation is fixed for several frames [he can't do anything for a bit] when he pulls himself up while someone's on the ledge so his tether is punishable - pretty sure players like PP and M2K punish zair recoveries frequently in this game, because they've practiced it a lot].

If there's other specific stuff giving you trouble, be more specific as to what he's doing/the issue you're having.

Last edited:

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all the tips, I guess the issue I have mostly is getting a combo started on Lucas. I can do pretty well keeping him away, but when I try to pressure him, He just shieldgrabs me. Maybe I should try tomahawking.

Top Bottom