• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help vs Olimar

SkiMaskSkeet

Smash Cadet
Sup guys, I've having some trouble consistently beating my friend who uses Olimar and I'm just wondering basically what do I need to do to win!

Right now the only things preventing me from approaching more are Pikman's insane forward smash and grab range. Whenever I try to advance, be it with banana's or air or rolling forward, he dodges away. Trying to follow the roll usually grants me a forward smash or grab.

So, help?

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, its really hard to fight characters with a lot of range. I was recently trying to fight my friend's Link, and had a lot of difficulty. You've gotta think up some new ideas. When you charge at characters like that, it is just what they want you to do... in a way you are falling into their trap. So as KG said, try to make them approach you. This can be much more difficult said than done though.

The biggest thing is, mix things up. If you keep doing things the same way, they will catch on and figure out a way to turn it against you. I'm learning this more and more as I play him... but Diddy is a HEAVY mind games character. Your greatest victory is surprising your opponent. :)

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
All i can say is, get good with that popgun. What you can do is go into training mode as diddy. Then stand close enough to the computer where tapping B will hit them with the peanut gun. Every shot they move back alittle. Then, just keep shooting them by constantly adjusting your shot (by how long you hold b) until you can only hit them by making it go straight at them (at that point, its at least 60% charged and takes too long to be used reasonably in a fight)

then kill the comp, and repeat. Doing this will get you used to hitting all of the distances with your gun so you can use it more effectively in situations like these.

dak0tah

Smash Cadet
my brother mains olimar and my diddy is the only one who can consistently beat him
i find if you time it right, you can get a good dash attack or sideB in after his Fsmash. it seems to have a bit of post-lag but dont quote me on that, and the range of the cartwheel or sideB get you in there quick enough. also, my brother is a bit of a roll-*****, so i can usually pop him in the head with the popgun when he gets up, some free damage. go for SHed and regular aerials whenever the opprutunity presents itself, olimar tends to lose some ability in the air

wa-kingdom

Smash Cadet
as a olimar user i suggest that you stay back and when the moment is near attack and dont stop, keep the pressure going

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Everyone forgets about Bananas.

If you know how RAR, SH 'RAR' a few paces in front of olimar and throw a Banana. Fire a Peanut, do another RaR and throw another banana.

Throw them and approach him slowly. Guarantee'd he'll slip at least once...so try to use that time to side-b closer or to dash attack to utilt or something.

Top Bottom