• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help vs kirby

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
It pisses me off when i hear things about how snake has an advantage over characters like kirby and metaknight when those are some of the characters i have the most trouble with.

Kirby can grab combo snake from roughly 0-60%. If kirby tries to fsmash you and you shield it, it pushes you far enough away that a forward tilt won't hit, and will probably give him the opprotunity to hit you again. If hes spacing back-airs and you try to rush in with an attack when hes open, you'll probably get forward smashed. He's also alot harder to edge guard then most characters. Your pretty much owned if he gets you in the air when your trying to come back down to the main platform because you've only got 3 options; You could try to air dodge past his attacks, but that barely ever works because he could just aim right and smash you once you hit the ground. You could try to do an aerial, which works well, but back air is probably the only good one to use. And you could also pull out a grenade while your coming down, but even that can be punished if your opponent is smart (even though its probably the best way to go).

Basically I want somone whos good and had kirby experience to give me some good advice about how to get by these things.

Doyoudigworms

Smash Cadet
My friend plays Kirby really well, and can be quite aggressive with him. Kirby cutter creates some great spacing with little lag, it becomes had to approach with slow ariels. His F-Smash has the same range and speed as wolf's and he can link the Chu-dat combo between 0-30% w/ a down throw start-up. I find kirby is very underrated.

However, you have multiple advantages over the little tyke, using Snake dashing as an approach will beat out the Kirby cutter if you are quick. You can abuse almost anything out of his stone, including C4 stick. You can out camp him w/ grenades and the Nikita. Don't let him absorb your powers. F-Tilt will always hit him despite his height. Just take advantage of spacing, and don't allow him to have the advantage when spacing. Pressure is key, but good players are hard to beat, despite their characters.

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Florida; I consider myself a decent brawl player.
A lot of the things you say here are wrong:

Kirby can grab combo snake from roughly 0-60%
Nope, all you have to do is spam jump after Kirby does his first up air. That 60% combo as you say, becomes only 18%.

If kirby tries to fsmash you and you shield it, it pushes you far enough away that a forward tilt won't hit, and will probably give him the opprotunity to hit you again.
Since when does Kirby's forward smash push you far back when someone blocks? If you aren't able to forward tilt Kirby after you block his forward smash, you are reacting extremely slow. Also, Kirby has so much ending lag on his forward smash he won't be able to do much after using it.

If hes spacing back-airs and you try to rush in with an attack when hes open, you'll probably get forward smashed.
You're Snake, you shouldn't be rushing in to begin with. You're the ultimate camper, between that Kirby's lack of range, you shouldn't have to approach.

You could try to do an aerial, which works well, but back air is probably the only good one to use.
Ever tried neutral air? It'll out prioritize Kirby's air game.

It really should be easy to see when a forward smash is coming, just be patient, block, punish. Snake can kill Kirby a lot faster as well, hello up tilt.

spades

Smash Cadet
Outcamp him.
utilt > his air game
If he doesn't space well every time, your tilts will dump on him; his survivability compared to snake's is left wanting.

Top Bottom