• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help vs. Defensive ICs

pacostaco123

Smash Cadet
Hey this is my first post but im preety sure i know how this works........

My friends and I are preety bad at SSBM by comparison to most of you but we stay competetive between eachother.....to give you an idea, I just started to try and learn how to SHFFL.

So my friend who is a little better than me plays ICs and he shields ALOT and i wanted to know

A) How to Get past this effectivly

B) Best combos out of Gannon's Grab

Thanks

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
When you say he likes to shield a lot, does he shieldgrab too? If so, use moves that can't be shieldgrabbed (Ganon has a fair number of these, no pun intended):

-spaced fairs (theres the pun)
-Any shffled aerial to jab
-shffl to grab
-Occasionally (do not spam this), downB

In general, your spacing should be good all the time, espcially against the ICs because of their absolutely devastating grab game. Practice hitting with the max reach of your attacks (your fair reaches out much furthur then would be suggested by it's animation. Learn how far it is), and he shouldn't really be able to do anything if you hit his shield.

Against the ICs, who are quite floaty, you should probably be using Ganon's dthrow. If they don't DI it, it sets up perfectly for your bair. If they DI it back, I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can still reach them with a bair. If they DI it forward, they eat a fair.

Also, do you know how to reverse uair edgeguard? If not, learn how. You can watch Triforce of Power to see how it's done if you don't already know (he does it many, many times in the video, and it's very distinct, so you can't miss it). The ICs are quite vulnerable to this edgeguard, and even if you don't kill them, you WILL kill at least Nana doing this, so it's worth it. Without Nana, their grab game won't **** you as severely.

pacostaco123

Smash Cadet
He doesnt shieldgrab too much but when he does i eat it

and Yes i know the Reverse Uair edgeguard ir rocks

Linguini

Smash Master
Nah,heres all you have to do to beat a decent or good ice climbers,
-Spaced and retreating fairs and bairs(preferably fairs)
-Angled down f-tilts to halt ground advance
-Dair them to hell when they get under you(dair,REALLY eats ice climbers sheilds.)
-Once ice's are off the stage dont let them back onto the stage with fairs against the two ice climbers and u-airs and bairs against the single ice climbers.
This matchup is pretty simple, just follow these tips.
Hope this helps.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
DAIR! :D. He shouldn't be able to shieldgrab you from dair. and then you keep dairing them. several times you'll be able to hit nana with a dair. in that case, dair again. and keep doing that. nana will die easily. with nana out of the way, the rest should be much more simple.

Magus420

Smash Master
Space f-airs, jab, use jabs defensively, and they have a very difficult time getting in. If they continue to shield they'll have to start light shielding to avoid getting stabbed in which case they're under more stun and have an even harder time dealing with it. If they're not using a lot of good desynchs to work around your range they can't do very much really.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
As an IC main that recently picked up Dorf, space your fairs, fTilts and Dtilts. Also, when you get Nana alone, **** her. Dair the crap out of them but beware because you're not Cf and your momentum won't carry you through their sheild. This might be kind of a long fight, especially if the ICs are playing defensively. Wizards foot or Gerudo Dragon can sometimes catch them by surprise but don't spam them. If you see them wavedash towards you, RETREAT FAIR!!

This has already been said multiplte times... lol

[edit= Watch out for those desynches. Note that the ICs can desynch from a whiffed grab. If this happens,it'll probably be a blizzard desynch to another grab. It's deadly and a HELL of a mindgame on someone. :D]

Magus420

Smash Master
Well, as far as reacting to them WDing towards you there isn't enough time to get off the ground really if they're in range at the end of it. There's enough time to react and jab though, which is why it's really good at stopping WD based approaches.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Forget about getting wobbled. One thing I dislike about IC's is that I can get chaingrabbed by just popo. And it's not a shabby chainthrow, either. :\.

Top Bottom