• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help vs aggressive falco

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
my friend who is a falco main is very very aggressive, laser heavy, and somewhat spammy.. at the start of every match he'll shoot like 10 SH lasers in a row without moving forwards or backwards. his combos are really janky and consist of a lot of forward airs and rogue down airs. he isn't that technical, just very reaction based and in your face. every time i try to get some breathing room he runs back and shoots lasers, which i'm not that good at dodging or powershielding b/c i'm a relatively new melee player (about 1 year i've been playing, and i'm an even newer fox player). he SD's a lot from all the moves he's inputting, but in the end i lose and get 3 stocked at high percent. any advice for dealing with his pressure and aggressive play style? i also can't get around him with marth, who i consider my true main

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
Fullhop if all he's doing is lasering you. If he starts doing fullhop aerials as an answer to your fullhop in, then bait the aerial by fading away. Once you get in his space, dair shine, wavedash jab or read tech roll/getup, grab and do whatever combo you want. If you're bad at powershielding, well then practice. However long you've been playing Melee is not relevant to how good you are at powershielding. PRACTICE. Don't make excuses.

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
Fullhop if all he's doing is lasering you. If he starts doing fullhop aerials as an answer to your fullhop in, then bait the aerial by fading away. Once you get in his space, dair shine, wavedash jab or read tech roll/getup, grab and do whatever combo you want. If you're bad at powershielding, well then practice. However long you've been playing Melee is not relevant to how good you are at powershielding. PRACTICE. Don't make excuses.
it wasn't meant to be an excuse, i had to point out that i was bad at it. of course i will practice it

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
Step 1 is to not use descriptions like "spammy" "jank" and "not technical". All these chalk up your opponents success to something other than executing a strategy more successfully than you. Sorry if you think thats harsh, but attacking your opponents skill (even subtly like you did here) is only going to hold you back.

Step 2 is to learn how to deal with the lasers with your main. If you want Fox to be your main, follow deep2's advice. But if Marth is your true main, just learn to deal with them as marth. Unless you are a top level player, picking up secondaries to deal with certain match ups isn't going to help you get better as a player. Learn with your main and stick to them.

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
Step 1 is to not use descriptions like "spammy" "jank" and "not technical". All these chalk up your opponents success to something other than executing a strategy more successfully than you. Sorry if you think thats harsh, but attacking your opponents skill (even subtly like you did here) is only going to hold you back.

Step 2 is to learn how to deal with the lasers with your main. If you want Fox to be your main, follow deep2's advice. But if Marth is your true main, just learn to deal with them as marth. Unless you are a top level player, picking up secondaries to deal with certain match ups isn't going to help you get better as a player. Learn with your main and stick to them.
it isn't an insult, lmao. he seriously doesn't wavedash or waveshine or anything. therefore he isn't technical. he uses downair in neutral every time i'm in the air. i just get stuffed every time. my use of words like "spammy" helped Deep give me an answer to the excessive lasers. also, you literally didn't give me an answer. all you said was "learn to deal with them"...

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
it isn't an insult, lmao. he seriously doesn't wavedash or waveshine or anything. therefore he isn't technical. he uses downair in neutral every time i'm in the air. i just get stuffed every time. my use of words like "spammy" helped Deep give me an answer to the excessive lasers. also, you literally didn't give me an answer. all you said was "learn to deal with them"...
I didn't come to argue with you, sorry you didn't like my advice

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
I didn't come to argue with you, sorry you didn't like my advice
you gave me no advice except 'be nicer' essentially. but whatever. i also want to mention that i didn't switch to fox for this specific reason. i just like fox and marth, since they're two different kinds of characters

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
you gave me no advice except 'be nicer' essentially. but whatever. i also want to mention that i didn't switch to fox for this specific reason. i just like fox and marth, since they're two different kinds of characters
Let me rephrase. My advice is to have one main, and if you are struggling with something learn to deal with it with your main.

Glitchy

Smash Cadet
First of all decide if you want to main Fox or Marth.

If you go with Fox work on maneuvering the platforms to make it harder for him to pin you down with lasers (important as Marth as well), fullhop aerials are great tool as well but it is possible for him to cc them at lower percents and something that's really obvious is of course powershielding. It all comes down to practice, and platform movement is pretty easy to practice, as is powershielding if you have a Wii with 20XX. Just practice for 30 minutes a day and you will see improvement.

As for getting caught by his dair when you are airbourne. If he does it everytime and you know it's coming you should be able to avoid it or bait it out for a pretty easy punish.

Also if he's really not that technical look for tech flubs that you can take advantage of.

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
First of all decide if you want to main Fox or Marth.

If you go with Fox work on maneuvering the platforms to make it harder for him to pin you down with lasers (important as Marth as well), fullhop aerials are great tool as well but it is possible for him to cc them at lower percents and something that's really obvious is of course powershielding. It all comes down to practice, and platform movement is pretty easy to practice, as is powershielding if you have a Wii with 20XX. Just practice for 30 minutes a day and you will see improvement.

As for getting caught by his dair when you are airbourne. If he does it everytime and you know it's coming you should be able to avoid it or bait it out for a pretty easy punish.

Also if he's really not that technical look for tech flubs that you can take advantage of.
quick question, is it necessary to have a SD card to load 20XX? my computer doesn't have a SD card port. can it all be done with a USB?

{Lemons}

Smash Rookie
You can get 20xx to work without using an SD card, but you will need one to homebrew your wii in the first place so yeah... My computer didn't have an SD card port either but I was able to buy an SD card reader for pretty cheap.

Top Bottom